Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop - "catastrophic failure" in less than 3 years - Lost a customer for life

Options
  • 14-05-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Laptop was 34 months young

Very little use (and I mean very little)

Wouldn't switch on one day, took it to an engineer, said the Motherboard was goosed

Is a Dell only built to last under 3 years ?

How can a Motherboard just kaput in such a short time

Dell told me to take a hike it's outta warranty (then they offered to repair it for a cost of €250.00 :eek:)

National Consumers Assoc said I can claim up to 6 years

Surely a Dell Laptop should last a "reasonable" amount of time and that "reasonable" time is more than 3 years ??????

Was thinking of taking a small claims action as I think a "reasonable" time is more than 3 years on such an integral part of the laptop plus the fact it has flip all miles on it

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,494 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

vicwatson wrote: »

Any link? The useful life of a laptop is nowhere near 6 years imho

I have a feeling that your claim would not be entertained in the small claims court. Maybe just out of warranty after 1 or even 2 years, but not 3. I could be wrong though :)

Have an expensive Sony Vaio here BTW. About 4 months old and motherboard completely screwed. It's obviously under warranty still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

You can claim for up to six years but that doesn't mean the claim will be successful. The two year 'European law warranty' is also a complete myth.

All that said you can expect something to last a reasonable amount of time. Three years of light use is not reasonable. Contact Dell and ask for their legal department postal address as 'that's where I need to send the small claims court paper work to'. See if that gets you anywhere - if it does not submit a small claims court claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

A lot of people use a laptop in a way that does not let the air circulate, ie. use it on material such as cloth which does not give it any space underneath, this causes overheating and failure, you cannot blame the maker for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just to add, deal with the retailer, I presume you bought direct from Dell, if so proceed as above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Sometimes consumer electronics fail. You could have extended the warranty if you so wished. No manufacturer offers a 3 year warranty as standard AFAIK.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Sometimes consumer electronics fail. You could have extended the warranty if you so wished. No manufacturer offers a 3 year warranty as standard AFAIK.

Warranty and consumer rights to reasonable durability are two different things. That's why you should always deal with the vendor in the first instance, as they are bound by the regulated contract and never, ever, ever buy extended warranties.

Warranty and consumer rights to reasonable durability are two different things. That's why you should always deal with the vendor in the first instance, as they are bound by the regulated contract and never, ever, ever buy extended warranties.
    Every IT department in the world deals with extended warranty as part of support contracts with vendors. Its ridiculous to expect the likes of Dell to have to replace failed parts two years outside warranty. As someone else said, the failure could well be the rest of environmental factors.

Every IT department in the world deals with extended warranty as part of support contracts with vendors. Its ridiculous to expect the likes of Dell to have to replace failed parts two years outside warranty. As someone else said, the failure could well be the rest of environmental factors.

They are dealing in the course of a business and can't avail of the extra protections given consumers. Hence why they pay less for products.

While it may be an environmental factor that's is for Dell to prove to 51% or above probability.

While it may be an environmental factor that's is for Dell to prove to 51% or above probability.
    Have you a source for this? I worked for a consumer hardware vendor, we didnt replace hardware outside warranty, end of story. All manufacturers are the same, so not sure where the OP is going to take his custom next.

Bad news, Dell are actually pretty reliable. Maybe splash out on a mac.

http://www.zdnet.com/want-the-most-reliable-windows-pc-buy-a-mac-or-maybe-a-dell-7000014469/

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 See (generally but also) sections 3, 10 and 21

Statute of Limitations Act 1957 this has been amended but not in relation to consumer contracts. (see section 11)

European Communities (Certain Aspects of the Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees) Regulations 2003 See generally (very short)

NB this is consumer legislation only - it does not apply (generally) to businesses.

These are the most pertinent pieces of legislation. England and Wales is looking to re-codify and consolidate their mess we can only hope the same is done here.

Ultimately the decision will be made by the SmCC registrar and each case will be different. However anecdotal evidence suggests they normally allow claims with five years unless the item was a particularly cheap one.

Apple are one of the worst companies to deal with when it comes to getting consumer rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Dells are pretty horrible - QC can be abysmal and they often try to avoid warranty commitments. We had many of their 'workstations' - supposedly 'high-end' pcs: the performance was mediocre and quite a few of them failed. Never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Utimately the decision will be made by the SmCC registrar and each case will be different. However anecdotal evidence suggests they normally allow claims with five years unless the item was a particularly cheap one.

I had a laptop fail after 2 years, and took it to the SCC. It was clear from my case, and other cases I listened to that day, that the minimum acceptable life span the judge expected for consumer electronics, including laptops, was 5 years. Warranties were completely irrelevant :- to quote the judge in my case :- "I don't recognise the word warranty and the concept doesn't exist in my courtroom".

I was awarded 3/5th of the purchase price, on the basis I'd had the use of the machine for 2 of the required 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

"Causes of a Failing Motherboard
    As with most computer components, the most common culprit when a motherboard fails is heat. All computer components are particularly sensitive to heat, and the inside of computer can become quite hot. Over time, this wears out the motherboard and can lead to its failure. A second common cause of motherboard failure is electrical damage. Commonly this occurs during computer maintenance such as installation of new peripheral devices. During maintenance, if the technician has static electricity built up on his or her hands, it can discharge into the motherboard, leading to a failure. Electrical surges, such as those created by lightning striking a power line, can also lead to motherboard failure. This is most commonly prevented by using a surge protector, but some surges are powerful enough to overpower the surge protector and destroy the motherboard. The last common cause of motherboard failure is physical damage. This can be in the form of water damage or actual physical impact. Although the motherboard is typically well protected, a strong enough hit to the computer case or the introduction of water into the case can lead to motherboard failure."

(taken from http://www.ehow.com/info_8774532_causes-motherboard-fry.html )

Whilst components do die generally from wear and tear, one of them reasons is much more likely? Do you use a surge protector? How often is the laptop moved, or, does it just sit in one place? They are two problems which are hard for you to prove either way.

Another question, just out of curiosity, did the laptop used to get hot? I used to have a Dell which, after a few years, it used to get realllyyy hot. Probably my fault for not ever cleaning out the cooling fans though...

the problem with ours was 'capacitor plague' caps - that's a common non-heat-related reason for MBs to die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I've had a dell Inspiron since late 2006...all ive ever had too do was replace the battery once!its an absolute beast of a laptop and I use it djing,downloading music films and a general day too use!i bought a fan on amazon for 3 euro that is USB powered and the laptop sits on that what ever I'm doing and the unit NEVER heats up. Also I regularly clean all the temp folders delete partial files and use anti virus and cleaning software on it!

Alan - I should know this myself but may be you could enlighten me? Can you sit in on the SmCC without a claim? Also which court are they based in? Assuming you're in Dublin.

Thanks I'd really like to go an sit in one afternoon as all the info I have on this is second-hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭xpletiv

I just want to put my experience with dell motherboards; currently have 3 dell laptops (work laptops, not mine) that all have broken motherboards. Two kicked it just outside of the warrenty, one lasted a bit longer, but I am fully sure Dell built them this way to replace them.

I will never buy a dell ever again.

Alan - I should know this myself but may be you could enlighten me? Can you sit in on the SmCC without a claim? Also which court are they based in? Assuming you're in Dublin.

Thanks I'd really like to go an sit in one afternoon as all the info I have on this is second-hand.

Yes, you can go and sit in without a claim :- I had a letter directing me where to go, but noone asked to see it. At the point where I was sitting in the court waiting for my case to be heard, I could have been anyone, and hadn't been asked to identify myself or state my business. And people were entering and leaving the court all day without being challenged :- I strongly suspected one girl who came in was a student doing some research.

My case was heard in the 4 Courts complex, in the Public Records Building. It was an interesting way to spend an afternoon, I must say.

Thanks Alan!

To be fair you can wander in and out of most courts, I just wondered with the SmCC.

If you think the SmCC is interesting go and spend a morning in Judge Ring's court in the CCJ. IIRC it's court 5. It's an extremely busy courtroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

xpletiv wrote: »
    I just want to put my experience with dell motherboards; currently have 3 dell laptops (work laptops, not mine) that all have broken motherboards. Two kicked it just outside of the warrenty, one lasted a bit longer, but I am fully sure Dell built them this way to replace them.

I will never buy a dell ever again.

For the sake of balance, our company has three Dell laptops and two desktops, the oldest from 2004. No breakdowns, all still in use, some 24/7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

DanWall wrote: »
    A lot of people use a laptop in a way that does not let the air circulate, ie. use it on material such as cloth which does not give it any space underneath, this causes overheating and failure, you cannot blame the maker for that.

The laptop was used on a regular computer desk, no overheating, just wouldn't start one day (well it would power on for split second and shut down)
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Just to add, deal with the retailer, I presume you bought direct from Dell, if so proceed as above.

Direct from Dell and never again

I agree with you regarding warranty and consumer rights in relation to reasonable durability - I don't believe 34 months is reasonable durability on a laptop with such little use

Well, it's not ridiculous actually, this laptop was used for approximately 2 hours per day to read newspapers, not one file stored on it, i.e. image, video, words, excel files - nothing ! It was literally used for the purpose of browsing the newspapers and it was never moved about.
    Have you a source for this? I worked for a consumer hardware vendor, we didnt replace hardware outside warranty, end of story. All manufacturers are the same, so not sure where the OP is going to take his custom next.

Bad news, Dell are actually pretty reliable. Maybe splash out on a mac.

http://www.zdnet.com/want-the-most-reliable-windows-pc-buy-a-mac-or-maybe-a-dell-7000014469/

I'll take my custom to any manufacturer that doesn't have the words "Dell" written on it
    Alan_P wrote: »
    I had a laptop fail after 2 years, and took it to the SCC. It was clear from my case, and other cases I listened to that day, that the minimum acceptable life span the judge expected for consumer electronics, including laptops, was 5 years. Warranties were completely irrelevant :- to quote the judge in my case :- "I don't recognise the word warranty and the concept doesn't exist in my courtroom".

I was awarded 3/5th of the purchase price, on the basis I'd had the use of the machine for 2 of the required 5 years.

Good on the Judge, my case will be quite simple, it cost 500 euro, it was used relatively very little and the motherboard bust - an integral part of the laptop bust in under 3 years, to me this is not a reasonable time
    "Causes of a Failing Motherboard
    As with most computer components, the most common culprit when a motherboard fails is heat. All computer components are particularly sensitive to heat, and the inside of computer can become quite hot. Over time, this wears out the motherboard and can lead to its failure. A second common cause of motherboard failure is electrical damage. Commonly this occurs during computer maintenance such as installation of new peripheral devices. During maintenance, if the technician has static electricity built up on his or her hands, it can discharge into the motherboard, leading to a failure. Electrical surges, such as those created by lightning striking a power line, can also lead to motherboard failure. This is most commonly prevented by using a surge protector, but some surges are powerful enough to overpower the surge protector and destroy the motherboard. The last common cause of motherboard failure is physical damage. This can be in the form of water damage or actual physical impact. Although the motherboard is typically well protected, a strong enough hit to the computer case or the introduction of water into the case can lead to motherboard failure."

(taken from http://www.ehow.com/info_8774532_causes-motherboard-fry.html )

Whilst components do die generally from wear and tear, one of them reasons is much more likely? Do you use a surge protector? How often is the laptop moved, or, does it just sit in one place? They are two problems which are hard for you to prove either way.

Another question, just out of curiosity, did the laptop used to get hot? I used to have a Dell which, after a few years, it used to get realllyyy hot. Probably my fault for not ever cleaning out the cooling fans though...

The laptop was never opened, never.

No surge protector but the house was never hit by lightning.

Nothing spilled in to it or near it

The laptop is never moved, sits in the one place and has done since day 1

Laptop didn't get hot, it was fine.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

To be fair to Dell and the other posters - it's a standard policy across most PC suppliers.

Desktop components, on the other hand, can come with bonkers warranties - 10 years, double life time etc. the draw back is the manufactures take an absolute age to deal with anything and you normally have to send it to Timbuktu.

If Dell have a good deal it wouldn't put me off buying from them again. Almost everyone tries this 1 year warranty crap, that's why everyone believes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm sure you have tried this but there are some Dell V SCC victories here:

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=580&subforums=1&sort=best&date_to=&date_from=&query=dell+small+claims&page=2

Well worth going down that route, esp since you bought from DELL.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'm sure you have tried this but there are some Dell V SCC victories here:

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=580&subforums=1&sort=best&date_to=&date_from=&query=dell+small+claims&page=2

Well worth going down that route, esp since you bought from DELL.

Fantastic idea of a sticky IMHO - SmCC procedure and victories.

To be fair to Dell and the other posters - it's a standard policy across most PC suppliers.

Desktop components, on the other hand, can come with bonkers warranties - 10 years, double life time etc. the draw back is the manufactures take an absolute age to deal with anything.

Defintely agree with this, Dell had all kinds of sexy warranty sweeteners, but when the crunch came they spent weeks trying to wriggle out of the repairs. They knew their quarry, i think their hope was that their delaying tactics would result in us giving up. They didn't have the greatest attitude when they finally showed up to fix 'em either. When a second tranch of their PCs failed, i fixed them myself rather than having to go through the pain of dealing with Dell warranty a second time. And that was the end of us & Dell.......forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

vicwatson wrote: »
    Laptop was 34 months young

Very little use (and I mean very little)

Wouldn't switch on one day, took it to an engineer, said the Motherboard was goosed

Is a Dell only built to last under 3 years ?

How can a Motherboard just kaput in such a short time

Dell told me to take a hike it's outta warranty (then they offered to repair it for a cost of €250.00 :eek:)

Surely a Dell Laptop should last a "reasonable" amount of time and that "reasonable" time is more than 3 years ??????

Was thinking of taking a small claims action as I think a "reasonable" time is more than 3 years on such an integral part of the laptop plus the fact it has flip all miles on it

Any advice appreciated

3 years is a pretty decent life for a laptop, however, if it was genuinely only lightly used and never travelled with, it is unusual. And in fairness, motherboards are like that on laptops, they just give up without any warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As someone who works in this field, 3 years is a reasonable amount of time for a consumer laptop (Inspiron) and would realistically be pushing in on a business line (Latitude) one. I wouldn't see a case suceeding unless it was a business laptop of a kind that they will actually sell a 3 year next-day warranty on.

MYOB wrote: »
    As someone who works in this field

Bear in mind the arbiter of these things is the SmCC registrar. I've had Sony laptops last the best part of ten years, the keys fall of the casing gets grubby but the motherboard and all of the electronics keep trucking. Perhaps Dell are just a flimsy make?

MYOB wrote: »
    As someone who works in this field, 3 years is a reasonable amount of time for a consumer laptop (Inspiron) and would realistically be pushing in on a business line (Latitude) one. I wouldn't see a case suceeding unless it was a business laptop of a kind that they will actually sell a 3 year next-day warranty on.

And yet I saw a SCC judge order a partial refund for a laptop that had only lasted 4 years. Mine had lasted 2 years, and I got a 3/5 refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Perhaps Dell are just a flimsy make?

Not in my experience. I still have a Dell Inspiron 6000 which is 9 years old. Still works away like a horse, though obviously the battery is screwed and there is a problem with the power socket. Other than that it's still pretty solid.

Advertisement