Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I connect two Eircom Broadband routers together?

• 16-06-2013 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hello

I have two eircom routers, my main one is the Netopia silver model with twin aerials, this is on my main line in the hall. I also have a Zyxel single aerial model. I want to move the Zyxel into my bedroom to get better Wifi signal upstairs but I also want to use it to give a wired connection to a satellite box in my bedroom.

My plan is to connect the Xyzel in my bedroom to the Netopia downstairs using Homeplugs. I read that you can set up the Xyzel as a bridge. My limited understanding is I would connect an ethernet cable from the bedroom homeplug to one of the network LAN ports on the Xyzel. Then disable its DHCP and give it a static IP address on the same subnet as the Netopia.

My Question:
    When I do that will I be able to get Wifi from the Xyzel and ALSO be able to use the other three unused LAN ports on the Xyzel too?? Or would the Xyzel only be an access point giving out Wifi only? Can I achieve what I want without buying a switch basically??

Flex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You can set the 2nd router as an access point.

Try the following:

router A = Netopia silver model with twin aerials, router B = Zyxel single aerial

Leave router A as is.

Set up router B to run as access point only:

- assign a non-conflicting LAN IP address to router B, e.g. 192.168.1.2 instead of 192.168.1.1(or .254)
    - turn off the DHCP server on router B
    - connect a numbered LAN port of router B with a numbered LAN port of router A (via direct wire or via powerline adapters)
    - do not use the wan port of router B. It remains empty. <tip: cover the wan port with some tape to avoid ever using it>
    - ignore the internet connection settings in router B.

Now router A is the gateway router for your LAN. It also runs the DHCP server for your LAN. Wireless client connected to router B will get their IP address from router A and use router A for internet connection. You can assign a different wireless SSID on router B if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Using that configuration will I ALSO be able to use the other three unused LAN ports on the Xyzel in my bedrooom?

Are you familiar with the Netopia and Xyzel modem routers? I don't think they have WAN ports just an RJ11 socket for a telephone line and then 4 LAN ports.

Here is a Wifi Homeplug that has ethernet ports on it. This would suggest to me that you can connect one router to this homeplug via the mains and the homeplug will give you Wifi AND ethernet ports.

It might be that what I'm trying to achieve is not possible with two eircom broadband routers. Maybe I need a Wifi switch but I'm not sure that's why I'm asking.

Flex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Using that configuration will I ALSO be able to use the other three unused LAN ports on the Xyzel in my bedrooom?

Are you familiar with the Netopia and Xyzel modem routers? I don't think they have WAN ports just an RJ11 socket for a telephone line and then 4 LAN ports.

Here is a Wifi Homeplug that has ethernet ports on it. This would suggest to me that you can connect one router to this homeplug via the mains and the homeplug will give you Wifi AND ethernet ports.

It might be that what I'm trying to achieve is not possible with two eircom broadband routers. Maybe I need a Wifi switch but I'm not sure that's why I'm asking.

Flex

You can just use the standard (ethernet only) homeplugs and use my suggestion to set up a wireless/wired access point using the two routers. If you are thinking of the wireless homeplugs you linked then you don't need to use a second router as that homeplug setup will do what you are trying to achieve anyway. That would probably be your more straightforward option.

As regards the rj11 port then that is the 'wan' port so you just ignore that port in the two router solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 adina123

can anyone advise, i need to connect to broadband via modem dsl for work min speed needed is 1.5, howver just had my line installed and it tests as only 0.9 for broadband speed, i dont know what to do, i am not aloud to connect wirelessly or via satelite, service provider digiweb thinks they can increase speed but i think this is rubbish, eircom engineer installed the line and said it was on a carrier, dont think any other provider can provide different speeds but tell me if im wrong,
    does anyone know how do companies know if you are using a wireless connection? if i used a wireless modem that i connect telephone line too, am i likely to lose connection if the fixed line fails and for how long, came i have the two plugged in at the same time, any suggestions as to how to get broadband?

You could start by posting your question in a new thread. Your question has got nothing to do with the topic in this thread.

Flex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

is it possible to wirelessly bridge the routers? or do you have to connect them via ethernet cabel(either through homeplug or directly)?

Well just to bring closure to this thread...

I connected my two routers as outlined in my initial post... YES I was able to get Wifi from the Xyzel router in my bedroom AND I was able to use the ethernet ports on the Xyzel router to feed internet/network access to other devices in my bedroom.

The question from adina123 should not even be in this thread.

In response to ctlsleh... YES you can connect two routers together wirelessly. By setting two routers up as I and degsie above outlined you can use one router in bridge mode to repeat the Wifi signal of the main router that's connected to your cable/Adsl modem.

Here is a link to a site offering software that can be put on certain brands of routers that allows them to repeat Wifi signal one to the other. The catch is not all routers are supported... neither the Xyzal nor the Netopia I have are.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Well just to bring closure to this thread...

I connected my two routers as outlined in my initial post... YES I was able to get Wifi from the Xyzel router in my bedroom AND I was able to use the ethernet ports on the Xyzel router to feed internet/network access to other devices in my bedroom.

The question from adina123 should not even be in this thread.

In response to ctlsleh... YES you can connect two routers together wirelessly. By setting two routers up as I and degsie above outlined you can use one router in bridge mode to repeat the Wifi signal of the main router that's connected to your cable/Adsl modem.

Here is a link to a site offering software that can be put on certain brands of routers that allows them to repeat Wifi signal one to the other. The catch is not all routers are supported... neither the Xyzal nor the Netopia I have are.

Flex

Im aware that you can load SW onto certain routers, however my question related the the zyxel and netopia routers as they are not supported.....so what are the options in that case without having to run and ethernet cable......if any?

Homeplugs seem to be your only option then.. connect a plug to each router via a network cable then configure them as detailed above.

Running network cable is the ideal whenever possible.. the homeplug solution won't perform as well although it depends on things like the electrical wiring in your house and the type of homeplug you buy.

Flex

Advertisement