Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Weather station in Dublin 16 reading 24º outside. I don't fully believe it as I think its picking up heat from the apartment walls (its on a balcony). It is definitely warmer out than in at the moment though.

21.9c here atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I think there would be a better chance of catching a bolt if you held onto a 5 iron on top of croagh patrick. Sun still very strong here and holding 19c all afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Harps wrote: »
    Unusual to see charts like this for Ireland all right, there'll probably be a strong cap but if anything does manage to break through then there could be some great light shows

The GFS precip charts do hint at convective showers in the afternoons. Daytime heating could help break the cap but yeah if its too strong then it's a no show! At least some of the important parameters look like being there anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max Temp here today 19.0c which is a few degrees lower than i expected. It actually felt cool in the breeze up to around 1pm then it warmed up a little. The most important stat is constant sunshine since dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Some predicted temperatures for tomorrow afternoon:

Attachment not found.

27 for Cobh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So who's going storm chasing next week? :p I don't remember seeing such consistent good conditions for thunderstorm potential on the charts before for so many days in a row. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday....all looking like possible electrical days for at least some parts at the moment.

What a time for my car to pack in. :(

The bangernomics thread is calling you lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

is it possible ... cold snowy winters and hot summers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

stunner of a morning in Naas, just back from a good long bike ride, perfect for it !

Now to get the shorts out :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Next question, how long will it last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Next question, how long will it last?
    Maybe we should enjoy the fine weather while we have it :) & not worry about any breakdown just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Too warm for me! Need a breeze which shall pick up later I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

2005 was the last and only heat wave I can remember as I was only a young child in 1995. I don't think it broke 30c in 05 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wow, 0Z GFS showing Tuesday with lifted index of -9(!), thats some extreme instability for these parts, would be highly rare. Not to mention cape hitting 2,000, again very rare for Ireland.

We'll see if it actually happens but very cool to see on the charts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Amazing just to read MT's forecast this morning - it's a thing of beauty :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

It's pretty breezy here...definitely more than indicated in Met eireanns forecast. It was the same yesterday. I knew up here would be cloudy but I though at least we would get some light winds:(

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Just one big blanket of foggy cloud over Cork City. . wheres the sun gone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

After a cloudy interval it has brightened up again with just some fair weather clouds. Still breezy from the SW with a current temp of 17.1c.
    Model runs outstanding again this morning with dare i say an historical sunny dry spell on the cards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Heavy cloudy here this morning. Looks more like rain than sun happening at the moment. Hopefully it will have cleared by the time the rugby is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

marvsins wrote: »
    Heavy cloudy here this morning. Looks more like rain than sun happening at the moment. Hopefully it will have cleared by the time the rugby is finished.
    Exact same in Galway, dammit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

At 7.30 this morning it was beautiful here in Cavan. Now its total cloud and not that warm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

quartz1 wrote: »
    Just one big blanket of foggy cloud over Cork City. . wheres the sun gone

Very disappointing so fat but sun trying to break through!!

Clear and sunny in the capital. A bit of a sea breeze kicking in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hal1 wrote: »
    Clear and sunny in the capital. A bit of a sea breeze kicking in now.

In castlebar it's raining

Heatwave not till tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Thick cloud and drizzly rain here in Castlebar. Looks like same for tomorrow it maybe Monday or Tuesday before this side of the country gets proper sunny weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

To warm for me! If that wind goes I wont be able to go outside :( 20C but feels like 25C away from the light wind

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Bit disappointing here in Cork, complete cloud cover at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Lenny5 wrote: »
    Thick cloud and drizzly rain here in Castlebar. Looks like same for tomorrow it maybe Monday or Tuesday before this side of the country gets proper sunny weather.

Good grief. I thought the whole country was getting this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If the Sun makes an appearsnce in Galway today I will eat my hat, rock solid dark cloud not a sign of a break and temp 16 degrees, very disapointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Glorious here in Kerry, 22c and light breeze, nice for the cyclists on the ring of kerry, looks settled for 10 days on ecmwf
    Happy days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement