Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just Home Broadband

• 01-08-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

I've a new house in Kilmainham and I'm going to get broadband. No TV/Phone line....just broadband.

I'm actually not sure what 'sort' of user I am. There are two of us that will live in the house. We have a Smart TV so will probably use that to watch a bit of TV over broadband, but we'll be using Freesat primarily. I also have an apple TV so will stream a movie once a week, maybe twice. I don't download boxsets or music or do file sharing!!

I was going to go with UPC 50mb or 100mb broadband. Is there much of a difference to the likes of me. I'd prefer not to go with UPC as I have had difficulties with their customer service in the past. I tried eircom but apparently I am not eFibre enabled yet.

I always thought wireless 3G broadband is a bit too inconsistent for home broadband. Is that the case??

Any tips on what I should go for??

cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

marcus2000 wrote: »
    I've a new house in Kilmainham and I'm going to get broadband. No TV/Phone line....just broadband.

I'm actually not sure what 'sort' of user I am. There are two of us that will live in the house. We have a Smart TV so will probably use that to watch a bit of TV over broadband, but we'll be using Freesat primarily. I also have an apple TV so will stream a movie once a week, maybe twice. I don't download boxsets or music or do file sharing!!

I was going to go with UPC 50mb or 100mb broadband. Is there much of a difference to the likes of me. I'd prefer not to go with UPC as I have had difficulties with their customer service in the past. I tried eircom but apparently I am not eFibre enabled yet.

I always thought wireless 3G broadband is a bit too inconsistent for home broadband. Is that the case??

Any tips on what I should go for??

cheers

Well without question UPC provide the best broadband, closely followed by the VDSL rollout(efibre).

With UPC you pay for X speed and you generally get that speed. VDSL is distance dependant so the further you are away from a cabinet the slower the speed

Get the cheapest UPC package and see if that suits you...

3G is rubbish as broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Thanks for that. I don't suppose you (or anyone) knows off hand if you can subscribe to the 50mb broadband then upgrade during the contract easy enough, on the off chance that I realise 50mb just isn't fast enough??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

marcus2000 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I don't suppose you (or anyone) knows off hand if you can subscribe to the 50mb broadband then upgrade during the contract easy enough, on the off chance that I realise 50mb just isn't fast enough??

You can upgrade, no problem. 50mb is sufficient for most things, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

You can upgrade, no problem. 50mb is sufficient for most things, though.

Excellent. Thanks for that!! 50mbs @UPC it is!!!

Advertisement