Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Fibre-Powered actually mean = VDSL (eircom,vodafone) ??

• 01-08-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I presume seeing as the local exchange into your house is not being upgrading to fibre - eircom (selling on to other providers e.g. vodafone) are using some sort of ADSL+ standard...

What is this standard ? VDSL

Why did eircom go for VDSL over ADSL+ ??

RoZZaH

(also can you get calls in/out on only Simply Broadband - the bullsh!tr in customer services is trying to tell me I need a package - e.g. Vodafone Home - I have no need for this other than alarm monitoring!)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's simply misleading advertising by all ISPs involved, including UPC who started it with their "fibre-powered" crap. The only exception seems to be Magnet who didn't go down that path, and call their product Fat Pipe.

Eircom's eFibre name is particularly odd. How is fibre meant to be electonic? Are they attepting to pass an electrical current over fibre and start fires?

The base technology is VDSL2 over the same copper phone lines as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Spear wrote: »
    It's simply misleading advertising by all ISPs involved, including UPC who started it with their "fibre-powered" crap. The only exception seems to be Magnet who didn't go down that path, and call their product Fat Pipe.

Eircom's eFibre name is particularly odd. How is fibre meant to be electonic? Are they attepting to pass an electrical current over fibre and start fires?

The base technology is VDSL2 over the same copper phone lines as before.

The 'e' stands for eircom. The same with eMobile. Just a brand.
    I also think 'fat pipe' from magnet is stupid. No one will know what that means except nerds & techs.:D

@RoZZaH,
    Basically what they're doing is installing local VDSL cabinets and running fibre to them from the exchange. In effect moving the exchange closer to you. That allows the to offer higher speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RoZZaH

Thanks lads - just confused how I was getting 'fibre' when there was no fibre/Ethernet/wan connection coming into the house - a little asterisk with 'fibre to cabinet/local exchange' would have been easier for (half techie) people to wrap their heads around - Vodafone appear to be signing people up and leaving them on adsl - rather than letting them know about forthcoming ftcc rollout and a simple modem upgrade ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RoZZaH wrote: »
    Vodafone appear to be signing people up and leaving them on adsl - rather than letting them know about forthcoming ftcc rollout and a simple modem upgrade ..

KN cant install places fast enough so it makes sense that they'd try and slow demand a little bit. People who ask will get it now, the rest when there's spare capacity for appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RoZZaH

KN?

• Advertisement

KN Networks are contracted to do all the fibre installs(and afaik some of the cabs too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

RoZZaH wrote: »
    KN?

Originally Killarney Networks, contractors doing the installation on behalf of Eircom.

Edit: Actually I have absolutely no basis for that acronym, it was in my head for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

They haven't enough engineers, Eircom or contractor, to do the customer installs either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Spear wrote: »

I always took the "e" in eFibre to mean eircom much as the same in eMobile.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    They haven't enough engineers, Eircom or contractor, to do the customer installs either.

Uptake was way higher than expected so thats kind of understandable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement