Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl cycling offers - General thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

bren_mc wrote: »
    they were in a separate display but right next to the cycling stuff - towards the back of the store. I think they might have been inside a glass case similar to some of the other electronic stuff - can't remember for sure as it's been two hours ago.:o

Haha. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

They might also be in the office. I asked for them and the cashier had to go and get one in the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

In the Togher branch, there was a glass case in the middle of an aisle of the offers/non-food, with just one "display model" of each (GPS BC, phone cover thingie, external HD drive, and so on). So I assume you have to ask a cashier in any event, to fetch the actual stock from the office/backstore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Anybody have loads of protein bars/shakes tubs of whey & protein powder in their shop too?

Over priced stuff tho.

Single protein bar €2
    Single protein cookie €2

ehh no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anybody have loads of protein bars/shakes tubs of whey & protein powder in their shop too?

Over priced stuff tho.

Single protein bar €2
    Single protein cookie €2

ehh no.

Yeah the new store in Artane was packed with the stuff, prices on the whey protein were fair enough I thought, 1kg for 17 euro.

OK I used the GPS over the weekend. It does the job. It tracks the location, Speed, elevation and time. While riding I frequently looked at the speed on it and on my old wireless cat-eye and they seemed to match. If anything I would speculate that the GPS was more accurate as it seemed to record decelerations faster on a descent. Looking at the data on the software it came with it all looks pretty well recorded.

However after several attempts I can't get the data into Strava properly. As Joe listed above I exported the data as GPX, ran it through the website and fixed the positive to negative. Then imported into Strava.

Initally it looked good. The map showed where I was. Even showed the slight difference from one side of the road to the other on my journey to and from the ride. But then when I looked at the segments and performance I noticed problems. The elevation data didn't go into Strava properly and the .gpx files didn't contain any speed info.

If you export as a .trk file it seems to contain all the info while .gpx and .kml only contains some info. However Strava won't accept .trk and the online conversion site doesn't recognise the data. Anyone know a way to get the full data into Strava?

So on balance it is not perfect in relation to Strava but it never claimed it would be. In terms of what it says on the box it seems to do that fairly well. But they could really do with better software or a link to Strava.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

touts wrote: »
    The elevation data didn't go into Strava properly and the .gpx files didn't contain any speed info.

I haven't had a chance to look at this since, hopefully will do soon. Hadn't noticed any issue with the elevation, must check that.

Don't think it needs any speed data though - it can calculate that from distance covered between sampling times. If it is required it could be calculated in the converter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

OK I used the GPS over the weekend. It does the job. It tracks the location, Speed, elevation and time. While riding I frequently looked at the speed on it and on my old wireless cat-eye and they seemed to match. If anything I would speculate that the GPS was more accurate as it seemed to record decelerations faster on a descent. Looking at the data on the software it came with it all looks pretty well recorded.

However after several attempts I can't get the data into Strava properly. As Joe listed above I exported the data as GPX, ran it through the website and fixed the positive to negative. Then imported into Strava.

Initally it looked good. The map showed where I was. Even showed the slight difference from one side of the road to the other on my journey to and from the ride. But then when I looked at the segments and performance I noticed problems. The elevation data didn't go into Strava properly and the .gpx files didn't contain any speed info.

If you export as a .trk file it seems to contain all the info while .gpx and .kml only contains some info. However Strava won't accept .trk and the online conversion site doesn't recognise the data. Anyone know a way to get the full data into Strava?

So on balance it is not perfect in relation to Strava but it never claimed it would be. In terms of what it says on the box it seems to do that fairly well. But they could really do with better software or a link to Strava.

Perhaps Strava would do a better job with managing the data it is sent if you first convert the file into a .fit format (ie the format in which Garmins record a track)? I see a few tools online to do the .gpx to .fit conversion, but haven't used them. At the end of the day (as Roy would say...) if the elevation data recorded by the device is rubbish, nothing is going to make it less so, and Strava can only be expected to work with what it is given......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Typically gps elevation data is not accurate.

J o e wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to look at this since, hopefully will do soon. Hadn't noticed any issue with the elevation, must check that.

Don't think it needs any speed data though - it can calculate that from distance covered between sampling times. If it is required it could be calculated in the converter.

Actually I've discovered that the Speed and Elevation information has gone into Strava. It is the Time data that seems to be the problem. When I click on performance and leave it on time only a handful of data points seem to have come into Strava. BUT if I click on Distance rather than time then the Speed and elevation data appears. So the problem is how it reads the time.

Here have some images of the graphs to display what I mean. I'm a beginner to Road cycling so be kind when looking at how fast/slow I got up the climbs :-)

And here is the .gpx file I uploaded. I notice also that even though the unit was set to GMT+1 it recorded the as GMT

Vee Sept 1 2013 formatted.gpx

Update: Trying to fix the uploaded photos:

performance TIME elevation.JPG

performance DISTANCE elevation.JPG

performance TIME speed.JPG

performance DISTANCE speed.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

Actually I've discovered that the Speed and Elevation information has gone into Strava. It is the Time data that seems to be the problem. When I click on performance and leave it on time only a handful of data points seem to have come into Strava. BUT if I click on Distance rather than time then the Speed and elevation data appears. So the problem is how it reads the time.

Here have some images of the graphs to display what I mean. I'm a beginner to Road cycling so be kind when looking at how fast/slow I got up the climbs :-)

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

And here is the .gpx file I uploaded. I notice also that even though the unit was set to GMT+1 it recorded the as GMT

Not being rude but the photos arent there on my phone anyways just a few numbers. That is a royal pain but it sounds like a problem with the conversion process judging by the last few posts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Typically gps elevation data is not accurate.

I have the Garmin 510 and my last spin ended up at a 900meter elevation gain but when i checked strava after uploading. (auto upload) it said 1200. but the graph didnt have any irregularities or maybe it uses data from google maps for elevation

Not being rude but the photos arent there on my phone anyways just a few numbers. That is a royal pain but it sounds like a problem with the conversion process judging by the last few posts..

I think the upload of the photos didn't work. I uploaded them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I think the upload of the photos didn't work. I uploaded them again.

GPX attachment still broken ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    At the end of the day (as Roy would say...) if the elevation data recorded by the device is rubbish, nothing is going to make it less so, and Strava can only be expected to work with what it is given......
    Strava knows that GPS-calculated elevation is not great, so they have their own elevation databases which they use. There are a few articles on it in their support pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm confused about the GPS computer - can you actually use it for navigation - i.e. plan and set up a route and will it somehow give you turn directions? Or is it simply a GPS tracker

Haven't used it myself, so this might be blind leading the blind here, but my understanding is that it directs you via pointers and distances to waypoints. So as far as using it for navigation, it's exactly as good as the number and quality of the waypoints you program it with, relative to the trickiness/twistiness of the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Dropped the device over the weekend and now I can't return it due to a minor crack in the screen. It's a good thing in a way cos I then had to learn to use it.

I followed Joe's instructions on how to upload to Strava. I failed a couple of times owing to the fact I had a number of tracks on the device. I couldn't get to grips with deleting the tracks except the one I wanted. Everytime I did that, my attempt to upload onto Strava was unsuccessful. So I deleted all the tracks and started with the one ride. And with that data, I followed Joe's steps and it worked! Cheers Joe!!

The moving time, I'm not sure about... Usually when I go out and cycle, there's about <50 seconds difference between the elapsed time and the actual moving time. However the data on Strava shows them both to be identical. I'm pretty sure when I arrived in Ashbourne, I forgot to stop the recording until about a minute later. I'll take it to assume that the device is not able to calculate your moving time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 yosserhughes

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Is the Crivit Sports Upright Floor Pump any good ? Its so cheap at €7 it might not last long im thinking.
    Waste of money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Haven't used it myself, so this might be blind leading the blind here, but my understanding is that it directs you via pointers and distances to waypoints. So as far as using it for navigation, it's exactly as good as the number and quality of the waypoints you program it with, relative to the trickiness/twistiness of the route.

I think I'll stick to using my phone with a battery extender so

The moving time, I'm not sure about... Usually when I go out and cycle, there's about <50 seconds difference between the elapsed time and the actual moving time.
    Last evening, I had about a two-hour gap on that. Maybe I should try moving more, mind you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

anyone tried the helmet? my mom bought it for me (sweetheart!) but it seems very uncomfortable, is this standard or what these days I haven't worn one in about 15 years :o

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

anyone tried the helmet? my mom bought it for me (sweetheart!) but it seems very uncomfortable, is this standard or what these days I haven't worn one in about 15 years :o

If you haven't worn a helmet in a long time, it might take a bit of getting used to, but a decent helmet will be fairly comfortable. You'll be aware it's on your head, but that should be the extent of the discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

hueylewis wrote: »
    If you haven't worn a helmet in a long time, it might take a bit of getting used to, but a decent helmet will be fairly comfortable. You'll be aware it's on your head, but that should be the extent of the discomfort.

It has these plasticy things on the inside to allow you to adjust the size(similar to that on the back of a baseball cap) that dig into my head, not so pleasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

There appears to be a firmware update for the GPS if anyone kept it

http://service.targa.de/dokumente/Update_SFN15A1-092013.zip

• Advertisement

There appears to be a firmware update for the GPS if anyone kept it

http://service.targa.de/dokumente/Update_SFN15A1-092013.zip

Nice one - thanks for the link. I haven't had a chance to develop the converter yet... been very busy*.

*spare time spent building beer fridge

Was looking at some random stuff in Lidl today -- wasn't aware there had even been any offers recently. (This seems to be the most recent of the many "cycling stuff in Alidi-dee" threads, unless I've missed one.)

Silly question: how are "bib tights" and their cycling trousers sized? When they say an "XL" is a 46/48 (or whatever it is) in UK/IE sizes... what the heck is that? A waist measurement? Notional chest size? I'm guessing I'd need XL for length, but I don't want it so loose it ends up like those suits they banned from the ski-jumping for generating too much lift.

I assume their returns policy applies, but I'd rather at least make an informed guess than run through the sizes at semi-random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Had a look in the bargain bin in Lidl today and found one of those GPS units for ten euro !!! Surely worth a punt at that price..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Was looking at some random stuff in Lidl today -- wasn't aware there had even been any offers recently. (This seems to be the most recent of the many "cycling stuff in Alidi-dee" threads, unless I've missed one.)

Silly question: how are "bib tights" and their cycling trousers sized? When they say an "XL" is a 46/48 (or whatever it is) in UK/IE sizes... what the heck is that? A waist measurement? Notional chest size? I'm guessing I'd need XL for length, but I don't want it so loose it ends up like those suits they banned from the ski-jumping for generating too much lift.

I assume their returns policy applies, but I'd rather at least make an informed guess than run through the sizes at semi-random.

I'm 5'10" with a 38-40 waist and the XL are perfect on me. So to answer your question, no idea what the 46-48 means :-)

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I'm 5'10" with a 38-40 waist and the XL are perfect on me. So to answer your question, no idea what the 46-48 means :-)

I think it means I'll pop and get a pair, provided they're OK with returns for size. :) I'm assuming there's quite a lot of "play" in them, anyway, especially the bib part, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Just in regards to current offers from Lidl, this week I picked up one of their ultrasonic baths for E25.
    Marketed towards the cleaning of jewellery but having used them before they are perfect for cleaning derailers, hubs, shifters even chains with a dash of fairy or washing powder in some warm water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just in regards to current offers from Lidl, this week I picked up one of their ultrasonic baths for E25.
    Marketed towards the cleaning of jewellery but having used them before they are perfect for cleaning derailers, hubs, shifters even chains with a dash of fairy or washing powder in some warm water.

Think I'll pick up for the missus to clean her jewellery and use it the odd time for the bike - she'll never know. :D

Great tip though...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Nice one - thanks for the link. I haven't had a chance to develop the converter yet... been very busy*.

*spare time spent building beer fridge

Have you developed the converter by any chance? :) Or are you still building the beer fridge?;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Back again this week.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-B9F355D1-9DA28E98/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?id=216

Anyone get the compression tops last time?
    Are they any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

Has anyone ever seen the TopMove Bike Smartphone case that Lidl are doing this Thursday before, and do you know if it would work on a racer in terms of finding space for it and attachment fittings? I'm wondering if it would work to put a phone running Strava in the case for navigation purposes, but also more generally if the thing looks safe and secure and waterproof enough in terms of being a sufficient alternative to branded more expensive ones.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

mathie wrote: »

Anyone get the compression tops last time?
    Are they any good?

I use the compression tops, find them grand. Good price. Will be buying a couple more this time around

What are the Lidl jerseys like (assuming they're the same as they're done previously), and how do they compare to the various ones Lidl have done?

Does anyone that got the GPS bike computer still have a copy of the software? I moved to a Garmin but had to use this as a backup recently and realise I've lost my CD with the software.
    68PB3X.jpg

Advertisement