Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Gravale wrote: »
    A successful B'nultagh-B'gee route last year.

Attachment not found.

Nailed it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Yup, that's pretty much the route I took back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Luke Ori

Hey - Hope you are all well?
    Due to a recent injury I am unable to take part in this years event :-(
    So sadly for me my number has become available.
    If you are interested in this spot please PM me, or if you know of anyone sending them my direction would be appreciated.
    I have spoken with Declan @ AON and he is happy for me to do a transfer with who ever wants it.
    Once done, Declan will then send out the specific form AON requires for each entry.
    However, all of this needs to be done by this Friday (20th) so it will be on a 1st come 1st served basis.
    Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,
    Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Luke Ori

Luke Ori wrote: »
    Hey - Hope you are all well?
    Due to a recent injury I am unable to take part in this years event :-(
    So sadly for me my number has become available.
    If you are interested in this spot please PM me, or if you know of anyone sending them my direction would be appreciated.
    I have spoken with Declan @ AON and he is happy for me to do a transfer with who ever wants it.
    Once done, Declan will then send out the specific form AON requires for each entry.
    However, all of this needs to be done by this Friday (20th) so it will be on a 1st come 1st served basis.
    Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,
    Luke

Hey All - this number is now gone. Thanks to all who made contact.
    Regards,
    Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Hi guys,

Was lucky enough to get a spot in the raffle!
    I have never done this event before and a friend and I are self navigating.

Would anyone have a GPX file of the route for a past year that they could share?
    I don't have a Garmin so I can't get the ones on the AON website.

**I might add that we will have and can use maps and compasses!!

Many thanks,

Justin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

jusmeig wrote: »

Would anyone have a GPX file of the route for a past year that they could share?
    I don't have a Garmin so I can't get the ones on the AON website.

The one on the AON site is a GPX file :confused: I loaded it into Viewranger myself to take a look yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Would anyone have a GPX file of the route for a past year that they could share? I don't have a Garmin so I can't get the ones on the AON website.

The GPX file is not a Garmin-specific file. What GPS are you using, Justin?

Gravale wrote: »
    The GPX file is not a Garmin-specific file. What GPS are you using, Justin?

I am using a Satmap Active 10.
    I was able to download a GPX file form the Garmin Connect website once I created an account.

Sorry opus I did not see the direct link to the GPX file, I only saw the link to Garmin and assumed you had to have a Garmin device to use, not the case!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

You don't actually open the gpx file but save it somewhere and then upload it to whatever your device is. It should be able to read the gpx file. The file was created on a Garmin but should work on other devices. I have uploaded it to Viewranger on my iPhone and once saved as a route it works fine.

Let me know if you have any problems or if you have specific questions about the route as the gpx route is just the advised route but not the only possible one. Remember there is another information night in The Great Outdoors on January 6th and there is also an Event Information document available to download from the website.

Thanks,

AON

A video of an Art O'Neill 2014 route.

http://youtu.be/9ga2QlFOOp4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mcsplash

Hey folks,
    Was up doing the second stage from CP2 up to Arts Cross today. Glenamore River extremely high and rapid flow, very difficulty to get across. Ended up having to travel east (left) of the river most of the way up until we found a place to cross (and that was daylight). Take care if anyone planning on giving it a go over the next few days.

I attach a picture of the traditional walkers route from Ballynutagh Forest to Ballinagee which might be useful if the conditions are bad and the rivers are swollen. This avoids all rivers by taking the western side of the Glenbride Valley and gives peace of mind if crossing rivers presents difficulties for some.

I also attach the route over the rivers on the eastern side of the Glenbride Valley which has been the most popular in recent years, but can present problems if the rivers are in flood. I did a reccie on this route last November and couldn't cross any river no matter how far I searched for a crossing. Fortunately there wasn't a problem when I did it in January.

Old Glenbride Route.jpg

Ballynultagh Wood - Ballinagee 2013 (a).JPG

Thanks Gravale for the alternative route. On the night we will keep an eye on weather conditions in this area in particular in case there is any issue with the river crossings. The option of going through Glenbride is marginally longer but as Gravale says is a river free option. As with previous years and because people may not be familiar with the alternative I will mark the required and agreed route through Glenbride. This is a peaceful little village and we would like to keep it that way considering it will be stupid o'clock when people are passing through. Just look for the yellow flags which will mark the right route through past the housing, and the correct gates to the track that leads to the Wicklow Gap road.

Any queries just shout.

Here's an aerial map of the route as you come off the mountain into Glenbride. Make sure to pass through the small laneway into the hamlet. Then turn right and pass over a small bridge followed by an old house on the left. Immediately after the house and its outbuildings are passed you'll see a good metal gate on your left. Cross over it and drop down to a track. Turn right towards a wide forest ride which, if followed carefully, will lead you south down to the Wicklow Gap road. Turn left and you'll soon be at the Ballinagee Checkpoint.

Here are the stats for both routes:

Ballynultagh - Ballinagee via Glenbride 11.3km 375m ascent

Ballynultagh - Ballinagee over rivers 10.8km 339m ascent

So, the Glenbride route is 0.5km longer and 36m more ascent. Nothing to really talk about.

Old Glenbride Route (b).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paddyman38

hi im doing the art o neill challenge, and i have entered the hybrid section, but my running training hasnt gone well, so was going to walk the first 30 km, can i change sections to the walkers section, or can i just stay as a hybrid and start at 12am
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Paddyman38 wrote: »
    hi im doing the art o neill challenge, and i have entered the hybrid section, but my running training hasnt gone well, so was going to walk the first 30 km, can i change sections to the walkers section, or can i just stay as a hybrid and start at 12am
    thanks

If you start as a Hybrid with the Walkers at 12, I'd reckon you'd have a long wait at CP1 for the first guided group to leave.

I'd say that the first walkers might arrive at CP1 about 5.30am. Then they'd have to wait (if they're looking for a guide) until enough of them arrive. There's also the usual hanging about, changing footwear, eating & drinking, etc. Of course if you're navigating yourself then you'll not have these problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

AON2014 wrote: »
    Thanks Gravale for the alternative route. On the night we will keep an eye on weather conditions in this area in particular in case there is any issue with the river crossings. The option of going through Glenbride is marginally longer but as Gravale says is a river free option. As with previous years and because people may not be familiar with the alternative I will mark the required and agreed route through Glenbride. This is a peaceful little village and we would like to keep it that way considering it will be stupid o'clock when people are passing through. Just look for the yellow flags which will mark the right route through past the housing, and the correct gates to the track that leads to the Wicklow Gap road.

This is the 'old route', I think up to what was once Glenbride youth hostel. Is it still considered for public use and/or have you specific permission for the night in question. Only ask as I have some map updating to do in that area for reprint of our Wicklow West map sheet, probably April or May. I think there's some new housing there in that area, not shown on our current sheet. I'll be up that direction to check it out on the ground sometime in Jan, thx BarryD

thanks

We will allow a certain amount of category changes if people notify us of their intention. Please contact info@artoneillchallenge.ie for this.

Walkers start at midnight. The Hybrid start is 1am so you have to decide if you are going to run the first section or walk it. Checkpoint 1 takes time to set up so someone leaving at midnight and running could easily get there before this and participant bags need to be sorted, timing set up not to mention food, medics, lighting etc.

Also, if you are getting guided for the mountain section there will be a delay waiting for a group to form.

Any further questions directly relating to the logistics of the event should be directed to the email mentioned above.

Cheers,

Declan

BarryD wrote: »
    This is the 'old route', I think up to what was once Glenbride youth hostel. Is it still considered for public use and/or have you specific permission for the night in question. Only ask as I have some map updating to do in that area for reprint of our Wicklow West map sheet, probably April or May. I think there's some new housing there in that area, not shown on our current sheet. I'll be up that direction to check it out on the ground sometime in Jan, thx BarryD

Hello Barry,

The route through Glenbride is part private and part public so I seek particular permission for the night and mark the specific route to be followed with flags. I did this last year but not one person went that way to my knowledge.

I will be going in there next week and will let you know if I notice any new buildings.

If you have specific questions please contact me on info@artoneillchallenge.ie

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Looking forward to it now :)
    I will be walking the AON 2014

- The first 30k or so on roads, I assume walkers bring runners, and change into boots at CP1 for the hike?
    - Based on the above and from info on the site, can walkers also leave a bag at Checkpoint 1? If so i'd like to leave the boots in a bag so we don't need to lug them!
    - Transport, what are the transport arrangements out of Barravore back to civilisation?

Cheers,

J

thanks

My full respect to anyone running the AON from CP1!

I was out last week and the section at the end of the forest is badly eroded...and a mess to be honest.
    We were in gaiters and we still came out covered in mud. It does get a bit better at the end of the fence once u leave the muddy track and head toward the saddle with Black Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Hi guys,

Looking forward to it now :)
    I will be walking the AON 2014

- The first 30k or so on roads, I assume walkers bring runners, and change into boots at CP1 for the hike?
    - Based on the above and from info on the site, can walkers also leave a bag at Checkpoint 1? If so i'd like to leave the boots in a bag so we don't need to lug them!
    - Transport, what are the transport arrangements out of Barravore back to civilisation?

Cheers,

J

http://www.artoneillchallenge.ie/art-trek-challenge.html

Yup, you can leave boots at checkpoint. Transport is from Glenmalure Lodge to Luas Sandyford.

Just completed my 29th Art O'Neill Walk today with four friends. Good weather from Dublin Castle, rain from Ballysmuttan to Billy Byrne's Gap. The rest of the day was glorious, with lovely sunshine and lots of snow-covered ground from beyond the Ballydonnel forest to Conavalla. Fred Hamond ran the full course solo, starting at 2am during the night.

If you've been accustomed to using the shortcut through the forest after Balinagee (CP2) then take note that this forest has been felled and passage over the result is considerably slower than before if not dangerous, especially for groups. Two alternatives are the St. Kevin's Way after the checkpoint at Ballinagee (CP2) and continuing on the full forest road instead of taking the former shortcut. Neither will brighten your day. ;)

See image of affected area: Forest Felling.jpg

Three Lakes: DSC06742 (Medium).JPG

Thanks Gravale. We are aware of the felling at Oakwood. The GPX file shows the shortcut but the recommended route will be to stay on the forest tracks entirely. We will NOT be recommending the St. Kevin's Way route as this area is more prone to erosion and flooding.

Please direct any queries about the route directly to the info@artoneillchallenge.ie email for the official line on event information to avoid any confusion.

Well done Gravale on your 29th AON by the way. How were the rivers?

The rivers were actually low and very fordable, both in Glenbride and Glenreemore.

From the exit of Ballynultagh Forest we spotted a group of walkers on top of Black Hill around 6am. Their head torches shone brightly. A runner in the area told us that they were eating sandwiches when he passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

I'll be doing the section from CP2 to the finish tomorrow and I'll be using the GPX file provided on the AON site as a guide. Just having a look through it there and there's a small messy section in the track. Just thought i'd point it out if anyone else will be using it on the day. I used BaseCamp to clean up the track and make it more straightforward. Has anyone used it so far and noticed any problems?

I'll be doing the section from CP2 to the finish tomorrow and I'll be using the GPX file provided on the AON site as a guide. Just having a look through it there and there's a small messy section in the track. Just thought i'd point it out if anyone else will be using it on the day. I used BaseCamp to clean up the track and make it more straightforward. Has anyone used it so far and noticed any problems?

Hello Dog,

The cheek of you! That's not a 'messy' section that's me meeting my wonderful wife with some grub and a change of top before heading on, forgetting something and then getting going again. Enjoy.

The gpx file takes the shortcut through the felled forest which is slow going and potentially ankle twisting territory so you are better off following the track to the left and taking the first right turn to avoid this.

Any questions just shout.

When people register and collect their timing chip at Dublin Castle they leave a bag(well marked and waterproof) with what ever kit they will need before starting the mountain section as well as a change of clothes for the finish. We transport the bags to Checkpoint 1 so it's there waiting for you when you get there and the same again for the finish.

Check the event information document downloadable from www.artoneillchallenge.ie for all the information you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Road Bandit

I was one of the group doing the AON over the weekend and I found a head torch on route.
    If you know anyone who lost one please pm me details.
    hopefully we can re-unite it to its owner.

Advertisement