Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V. slow mail authentication at Eircom POP server via another ISP, any workaround?

Options
  • 20-10-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

About 15 months ago, Eircom's POP server suddenly started taking 2 minutes (per email account) over the authentication process, before mail would start downloading to computers in this house. I eliminated all the possible causes I could think of, but eventually, despite the suggestions of many helpful people in these forums, I eventually had to give up and hope for some improvement upstream from our local ISP.

We kept our eircom.net email addresses when we left Eircom, and I've now learned from our ISP that the problem's only occurring with eircom.net addresses.
    Whatever the reason, can anyone suggest any workaround that would enable us to carry on using our nice easy-to-remember Eircom addresses, and avoid the hassle of having new ones?
    (Have to go offline now but back in the morning).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I suppose its better than it was - you could send mail from any account from any continent before

Anyway you could set up forwarding in the eircom mail accounts to something like gmail and still send it out through eircom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thank you for that, gctest50. I'm looking into the gmail route now (just haven't had much time for it this week).
    It'll be great if I can use gmail for incoming mail only, as I have no problem with outgoing, and think I read somewhere that sending mail via gmail would mean no copy of it in my client's Sent folder.

What is it that's better than it was? (I don't know much about mail forwarding & so on).

Before anyone spends any time suggesting troubleshooting steps, I've already been through them fairly exhaustively, thanks to the help I've had in these forums. My ISP has no control over the server where the handshaking/authentication delay is, as it's somewhere upstream. And I've got nowhere with eircom; the last thing they said was that being migrated to their New Webmail would fix the problem. When I waited weeks for that and it didn't make any difference, I gave up. (This is my 3-page dialogue with them, in case anyone is interested a& has time to waste!).
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056692656/1

Advertisement