Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre is now available - eh, no its not...

Options
  • 25-10-2013 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Eircom website says eFibre is now available for my location (donaghmede, Dublin), so I ring them up and tell them I want the biggest package they have, bells and whistles. My reply is sorry Fibre is not available for your street and wont be for some time.

So I dig a bit further and find out my street does not have a cabinet and infact my phone cable goes straight to the exchange. I also find out that Eircom are not planning to fix this problem (put a cabinet in) for some years...

First, the website is false advertisement as it seems large parts are actually in the same position (no cabinet), yet the website says eFibre is now available for all of Dublin when in reality it is not. Second, this is going to drop the value of my home, and countless others, I wonder if this "problem" exists for leafy foxrock?

If there is anyone from Eircom here please PM me details of who I need to convince to get this changed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If you want to convince Eircom to get anything done sensibly, quickly and well your best bet would be to PM either God or the Prince of Darkness himself.

Short of that I wouldn't hold my hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mickeyfly

I am on the Newtownmountkennedy Co Wicklow exchange and a new fibre cabinet was installed outside my wall last week, obviously not yet wired up. So I rang Eircom about timing, as that exchange listed on their map as 'now available' (originally listed as July-Sept), I am told that Newtownmountkennedy exchange (not area) 'is due to be fibered sometime during 2014'!!!

Who asked is Eircom lying???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Mickeyfly wrote: »
    I am on the Newtownmountkennedy Co Wicklow exchange and a new fibre cabinet was installed outside my wall last week, obviously not yet wired up. So I rang Eircom about timing, as that exchange listed on their map as 'now available' (originally listed as July-Sept), I am told that Newtownmountkennedy exchange (not area) 'is due to be fibered sometime during 2014'!!!

Who asked is Eircom lying???

Could you map that cabinet please? Details in this post : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

Well just because a cabinet has appeared doesn't mean VDSL can be supplied from the cabinet, there's afaik a huge rigmarole to go through before it can be "released" for users.

I believe the whole of NTMK is due for completion around now so expect the cabinets to be cleared in the next few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

UPC available in your area OP?

First answer, UPC nowhere near us and I doubt it ever will be.

I'm aware the cabinet has to be connected up but the person I was speaking to in Eircom was saying, according to her list, the NTMK exchange was due to upgraded during 2014 so how can fibre be available to anyone in the area?

• Advertisement

Have tried to map cabinet twice but it doesn't show when I recheck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hoddlestone

Yeah it is, but presume they would be using the same lines?

Mickeyfly wrote: »
    Have tried to map cabinet twice but it doesn't show when I recheck

Thanks it's on the last page ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I am sick of waiting on Eircom to deliver, so my hope now is on the ESB Fibre to the building rollout. Trialing shortly in Cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hoddlestone

Ok, so looking at cancelling Eircom and getting 4g instead. I need wireless access for the clients but also need wired access too. I think if I get a USB dongle from the provider and a 4g compatible router with 4 10/100 ports on it, that should do, shouldnt it?

What would the speeds be do you think? considering I am trying to improve on my whopping 2.5 Mb/s Eircom delivery.

First world problem I know but do not want to be left behind and its really annoying me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Yeah it is, but presume they would be using the same lines?

Eircom and UPC do not use the same lines. They use COAX copper to their nearby cabinet.
    If UPC is in your area then its probably the best broadband to go for.

As for the 4G mentioned below, maybe it would be good, who knows. I don't really trust mobile broadband.

Ok, so looking at cancelling Eircom and getting 4g instead. I need wireless access

The fun thing with mobile is that while you may get reasonable speeds now you are not guaranteed those speeds in the future and could end up with nothing at all. That's the way mobile works...

Advertisement