Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

rangler1 wrote: »
    Better fly the flag for my breed too.

Attachment not found.

super stock as usual

your grass quality would put a lot of dairy guys to shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Cran wrote: »
    What weight are they Rangler, guy 3rd from left in front looks like a serious sheep.

If it was me I would pick the second from the front.
    But having said that I wouldn't refuse any of them.
    Lovely sheep rangler. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Lovely clean stock with good length to them there. Is it the rotational grazing or topping has your grass very fresh looking rangler ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

rangler1 wrote: »
    Better fly the flag for my breed too.

Attachment not found.

Top notch rangler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Lovely clean stock with good length to them there. Is it the rotational grazing or topping has your grass very fresh looking rangler ?

Combination of both I suppose, and of course avoiding photographing the stemmy paddocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Jaysus that a fair flag you put up her for the breed rangler. They look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/wairererams?ref=profile

for anyone who believe sheep should be dosed in a single file race like cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

And ya have to be in with them too. Workin over a wall is a pain

• Advertisement

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/wairererams?ref=profile

for anyone who believe sheep should be dosed in a single file race like cattle

Video doesn't work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

Some of my Lleyn ewes. Lovely big ewe lamb in the middle (with the blue mark).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

mikefoxo wrote: »

They must have little to be doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Few chev lambs weaned at the weekend

Summers out. Lambs weaned time to put the feet up.

• Advertisement

Gave up the syringes and bought a clik gun. Couldn't believe the difference in how long it took to get them done. 10 minutes and out the gate.

Gave up the syringes and bought a clik gun. Couldn't believe the difference in how long it took to get them done. 10 minutes and out the gate.

Nice bunch of lambs there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

pic's upside down on my computer, they look fine lambs, are they near the weight,
    Clik guns are good...keep them clean and they last a lifetime

Ya, the first draw of them will be ready to go in a weeks time after withdrawal period lapses. I was just shy a few to make up a trailer full to go to factory / mart this week. Their definitely ahead of where my lambs were last year. I think the earlier weaning and paddocking is making a difference here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

Picking out first of the lambs today for Factory while weaning some of the flock, 40 going out of 260 really happy with them off grass only. Rest went on the Tyfon today, hopefully wean remainder next week.

• Advertisement

Picking out first of the lambs today for Factory while weaning some of the flock, 40 going out of 260 really happy with them off grass only. Rest went on the Tyfon today, hopefully wean remainder next week.
    Few nice lambs there,do you have a few dorsets in your flock

IH784man wrote: »
    Few nice lambs there,do you have a few dorsets in your flock

No they're all Charollais lambs out off Mule ewes in that pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Did you change your system Cran - I had it in my head that you didn't sell lambs much, sold most of yours as hoggets? Or am I getting half confused in my old age :)

Edit : fine lambs, and great to have so many gone at weaning. Are they only 14 - 16 weeks now?

Did you change your system Cran - I had it in my head that you didn't sell lambs much, sold most of yours as hoggets? Or am I getting half confused in my old age :)

Edit : fine lambs, and great to have so many gone at weaning. Are they only 14 - 16 weeks now?

Cheers, normally get rid off about 50% here off grass to end Sept, then feed the rest aiming to sell early January with gone by end January (normally runs into feb). Trying Tyfon this year see if can maybe get 70/80% gone by end Sept before feeding them. Even though always done well feeding them selling off forage removes risk from prices for feed inputs and lambs going out the gate.

Lambs in the pic are born between April 3rd and 17th, these are singles though. Have 40 singles on mules away from the main farm, took 26 lambs from 39 from there yesterday. The main bunch are still to be weaned and some really good looking lambs there too, no singles there so expect less to be fit.

Well thought this might be off interest for some, I found the auction interesting but couldnt see it working in Irish marts...

Just back from French Charollais show and station ram sale in France.

The auction on the day is for 90 ram lambs that were chosen off farms by the society in May and have been in a test centre since receiving 2lbs of meal only daily and are all shorn. Breeders bring sheep for the show and then also have pens of sheep for sale on the day through basically haggling with local farmers or other breeders for ewe lambs.
    The society also have a selection committee that pick the best 12 ram lambs out of the breeder pens and these are put for auction as well. Minimum price for all ram lambs station or non in the auction was €500, and once a lamb made this it was sold no option by the breeder to say no sale.

Auction was all electronic using what looked like a remote control, with all bids in €10. Screen showed the price with a timer and each time a bid made the timer reset until no more bids made . Winning bidder number showed up on the screen then and your name is announced to everyone.

Some more pics

Sounds like a well run event and transparent. The fact that the society travels around to farms and hand picks the rams gives you comfort that only sound Rams are chosen in addition to monitored feeding. You'd get the feeling it's a society that cares about its reputation and is taking steps to ensure no rubbish is flogged on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Some more pics

They are all fine looking sheep Cran - but I must say I don't like the fierce bare head of the Charolais... I dunno why...

And you has mad freckly fingers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

the rams that go to the test station are selected by the breeder and not the society. the lambs are all treated the same in the station.the numbers are dropping back each year with 72 lambs forward for sale compared to 3 years ago when there was up to 150 lambs on test and sold. the top 12 lambs are selected by the ai station and two breeders and then used by breeders through ai to test them for performance and rated on this testing.the top lambs are only are only priced at the average price of the test station sale.
    the test station lambs have only in recent years being offered to people from outside the french breeders through alot of hard work on the part of a couple of irish and belguim breeders to be allowed buy at this sale.

the rams that go to the test station are selected by the breeder and not the society. the lambs are all treated the same in the station.the numbers are dropping back each year with 72 lambs forward for sale compared to 3 years ago when there was up to 150 lambs on test and sold. the top 12 lambs are selected by the ai station and two breeders and then used by breeders through ai to test them for performance and rated on this testing.the top lambs are only are only priced at the average price of the test station sale.
    the test station lambs have only in recent years being offered to people from outside the french breeders through alot of hard work on the part of a couple of irish and belguim breeders to be allowed buy at this sale.

Cheers for that must have mis understood explanation to me. I knew the numbers had dropped, didn't realize by that much. The main buyers last week were the Swiss must have bought over 10 Rams from the auction. I think the new bidding method was because of complaints from certain parties too around bidding.

Do you know if taking the 12 lambs from the breeder pens is new, got feeling from the breeders they weren't over excited by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Some fine sheep. Are some very narrow looking around the shoulder or are the photos deceiving?

Did you bring any back?

What part of france was the sale ? It's a huge country , but was there in June on holidays . Drove down about 5 hours into the west coast. What struck me was how much tillage was about. Cattle and sheep appear to have taken second place to it. Opposite to this country. Again could have been the region I drove through.

the 12 lambs are picked by the breeders them self for the sale to show case their flock, usually some very sweet lambs put up for sale.
    a total of 11 test station rams did not sell.
    the electronic selling was introduced last yeaf as a trial, the old system was the same as our mart system of sale,
    cran how many sheep did you get, berland of P5 had the top sheep as always.

the 12 lambs are picked by the breeders them self for the sale to show case their flock, usually some very sweet lambs put up for sale.
    a total of 11 test station rams did not sell.
    the electronic selling was introduced last yeaf as a trial, the old system was the same as our mart system of sale,
    cran how many sheep did you get, berland of P5 had the top sheep as always.

Bought a ram from the station and few ewe lambs. Where you there sheep breeder, I meet no other Irish there this year and could have done with some experienced help :)

Razor slightly narrower on the shoulders than what's crept in here from UK breeding past few years I think, but many are shorn so gives more of that impression. Think their back ends are better though and bit more length I thought or more consistent length maybe.

Green farmer its east side of France just over hour from Lyon, very much livestock country with cattle dominating. The quality of Charollais cattle was unreal in just random fields, and large herds it seemed.

cran
    we did not attend this year, we had a french breeder looking for us at the sale, he reckoned the quality of the test station lambs were back this year,
    we hope to have 2 senior stock rams to come home later in the year for next year which have being got on farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭davidk1394

If he only knew what was going to happen to him

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PaddyPerfecto

davidk1394 wrote: »
    If he only knew what was going to happen to him

What's happening to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Bought these ladies last night, was not planning on buying anything as i only went to the mart to sell stores, but as i had the trailer with me I couldn't go past them.
    Paid strong money for them though, but I know the man that was selling and they're out of swale ewes so have been coming from a hard enough keep and they'll last.

Bought these ladies last night, was not planning on buying anything as i only went to the mart to sell stores, but as i had the trailer with me I couldn't go past them.
    Paid strong money for them though, but I know the man that was selling and they're out of swale ewes so have been coming from a hard enough keep and they'll last.

How much they cost ya? May they do well for you I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Willfarman wrote: »
    How much they cost ya? May they do well for you I hope.

Thought i had them at £130, but some fecker polled me to £150 and once he took me to £140, he was never getting them at any money. I know i should have probably dropped them on him at £148 but i get thick like that when some hoor starts.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    True, but you don't have to look at the mantle piece when poking the fire!!

Must of been on the chaps bucket list! :)

Nice lengthly mules.

What's happening to him?

His now strung up in a cold room

davidk1394 wrote: »
    His now strung up in a cold room

Haha nicest place for em when they get to that age, n your pockets the only thing left getting fatter

Haha nicest place for em when they get to that age, n your pockets the only thing left getting fatter

Amen to that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

now they're my kind of sheep ,,

good ewes like that are never dear

hope they go lucky for you

WhEn you take it that Hoggets were hanging up 140€ last February they are noway expensive now. They look great value imo

Willfarman wrote: »
    WhEn you take it that Hoggets were hanging up 140€ last February they are noway expensive now. They look great value imo

That's in euro,Antrimglens is using sterling.

There 191 euro.But they will produce good lambs by the looks of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

Bought this fella last week

jd06 wrote: »
    Bought this fella last week

Nice looking fella, doesn't look to big boned and kind enough head. He's not one of Niall Walshes is he?

• Advertisement
Advertisement