Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Zyxel F1000 Replacement

• 13-11-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I just got updated to eircoms efibre a few weeks ago and I am using the f1000 and hating it. I am looking for a replacement modem router, I was thinking about the Draytek Vigor 2760n. Didn't really want to bridge the f1000. Any thoughts on whether this would be suitable or not? If not any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Hi folks I'm using this router as well but wondering as I live in a bungalow that seems to have loads of twists and turns and wifi is not great in bedrooms, so wondering can anyone recommend a better router for throwing out signal. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

Interested in options as well!

It's also a bit worrying that just after logging in the WiFi config page (with my WiFi password in plain text) flashes up on the screen before the actual router status page is loaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Im actually looking for a good wifi setup myself, I have a large house so need a good range. Was thinking of bridging two of these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR841N-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1397242292&sr=8-6&keywords=wireless+n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I don't like the vodafone modem either so I use the newest Apple Time capsule for my gigabit connectivity and wireless AC. It's extremely reliable and the signal is very strong. File copies on wireless AC are amazing really. You won't be bottle necking your vdsl connections nearly as often as you would using the default ISP provided wireless N router.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Having struggled with trying to improve Wifi coverage for years, here is what I've come to realise....

First up, wireless extenders, repeaters, bridges, etc just don't work very well. This article explains why, but also offers the pick of the bunch if you have no alternative. I tried the Netgear and it does work relatively well and very easy to set up as well.

When it comes to wireless routers and access points there is no silver bullet...all manufacturers are constrained by regulation as to the power output the device can emit. With some routers you can install custom firmware and increase the power output beyond the default level, but think about it, it's all good and well for the access point to pump out more radio signal strength, but communication is a two-way street and the access point has got to be able to pick up the clients transmissions too!

Nonetheless even with these limitations, not all routers are the same. After trying several Wifi solutions down the years, the best I have found is the Asus RT-N66U and there is a newer ac version out now as well. I find this much better that the F1000, the Huawei offering, and several other Cisco, Netgear and others I have owned down the years.

Btw, should be no need to bridge the F1000, just disable the wireless on it and set your new WiFi box into AP mode (don't buy one that does not support this)

The other trick to improving range is to replace the standard antennas with higher gain and/or direction antennas. Some options here...lastly configure to use a free channel and throw out your microwave oven!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Having struggled with trying to improve Wifi coverage for years, here is what I've come to realise....

First up, wireless extenders, repeaters, bridges, etc just don't work very well. This article explains why, but also offers the pick of the bunch if you have no alternative. I tried the Netgear and it does work relatively well and very easy to set up as well.

When it comes to wireless routers and access points there is no silver bullet...all manufacturers are constrained by regulation as to the power output the device can emit. With some routers you can install custom firmware and increase the power output beyond the default level, but think about it, it's all good and well for the access point to pump out more radio signal strength, but communication is a two-way street and the access point has got to be able to pick up the clients transmissions too!

Nonetheless even with these limitations, not all routers are the same. After trying several Wifi solutions down the years, the best I have found is the Asus RT-N66U and there is a newer ac version out now as well. I find this much better that the F1000, the Huawei offering, and several other Cisco, Netgear and others I have owned down the years.

Btw, should be no need to bridge the F1000, just disable the wireless on it and set your new WiFi box into AP mode (don't buy one that does not support this)

The other trick to improving range is to replace the standard antennas with higher gain and/or direction antennas. Some options here...lastly configure to use a free channel and throw out your microwave oven!

Thanks I was looking at the Asus RT-N68U, my only worry is that it won't cover my whole house.

Advertisement