Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

hynesie08 wrote: »
    There are rumors that residents retracted their statements due to abuse and threats, you wouldn't know anything about that would you?

What are you saying there?

I live in Galway, haven't been near Dublin to attack anyone, and I dont know any personal information of the residents besides some eejit living in Castleknock. Living in Castleknock and thats all I know.

Be careful there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What are you saying there?

I live in Galway, haven't been near Dublin to attack anyone, and I dont know any personal information of the residents besides some eejit living in Castleknock. Living in Castleknock and thats all I know.

Be careful there.

It was a joke, Put the shovel down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

hynesie08 wrote: »
    There are rumors that residents retracted their statements due to abuse and threats, you wouldn't know anything about that would you?

That's quite unfair, perhaps the use of a :) would have indicated any light hearted humour, if intended.

The person to whom HardLuckWoman referred, was one of the most vocal opponents of the concerts taking place.

on Prime Time he stated, in response to a question from Claire Byrne, on why they opposed the gigs and whether it was because they thought they'd get nothing in return from the GAA;

"the concerts won't go ahead with the residents getting nothing out of it"

so it suggests they have been very negative in relation to any negotiations they had with the GAA about holding these concerts, with regard to their opposition to the concerts.

and now at this late stage, they seem to be speaking more acceptingly of the idea of the concerts taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Still, expressing a desire to hit somebody over the head with a shovel doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the sanity of that poster (and I checked- there was no smiley after it to indicate light-hearted humour).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

MOD: Stop baiting each other

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just to be clear, the gaa and croke park are not the same people. Croker is very much a separate entity. The gaa are tennents in croke park. (Obviously the gaa own it...but they are sports people and croker is business run by "professionals" that may not be on the same page as their sporting partners)

baaba maal wrote: »
    Still, expressing a desire to hit somebody over the head with a shovel doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the sanity of that poster (and I checked- there was no smiley after it to indicate light-hearted humour).

Perhaps the intent of humour should have been made clear, but I don't think HardLuckWoman meant to literally hit him with a shovel. I can understand, after the huge hassle to get tickets, someone who got tickets and who was looking forward to the gig, being annoyed about someone from one of the residents groups who opposed the shows, whose opposition probably led to the last two nights not getting approval from Dublin City Council;

when at this late stage, the same residents group member speaks more positively about the idea of the shows taking place, as long as they get something in return from the GAA or the Croke Park organisation.

The same guy spoke before of holding the gigs in venues around the country in places like Thomond Park and Semple Stadium instead, which is totally impractical, considering Croke Park was already the confirmed venue. Even if he was to argue that these should have been the venues chosen before any of the five gigs went on sale, they are far too small to deal with the demand that was evident in the huge numbers who bought the tickets for the five shows.

And as a result of the opposition to the gigs, and the last two nights not getting refusal, there was the ludicrous situation where other venues with a totally different layout, seating plan and smaller capacity, like The Aviva Stadium and non seated venues like Slane and Punchestown, were being proposed as alternative venues.

The first thing Peter Aiken said in response to suggestions like Slane and Punchestown was, how do you accommodate people who bought seated tickets in Croke Park.

And even after Henry Mountcharles ruled out making Slane available, reporters in the media were still talking of Slane as a possible alternative,:(

I fully accept the frustration etc (and I really do- I'm not a fan of GB but I have been thinking about how I would feel if one of my favourite musicians was to plan on performing there and the same situation arose). I really have a problem with somebody suggesting they would like to cause physical damage to somebody on the other side of the argument, even if I don't think they were actually planning to do so.

For clarity, I wouldn't be in agreement with somebody saying they would like to hit one of Garth's fans over the head with a shovel either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That's quite unfair, perhaps the use of a :) would have indicated any light hearted humour, if intended.

The person to whom HardLuckWoman referred, was one of the most vocal opponents of the concerts taking place.

on Prime Time he stated, in response to a question from Claire Byrne, on why they opposed the gigs and whether it was because they thought they'd get nothing in return from the GAA;

"the concerts won't go ahead with the residents getting nothing out of it"

so it suggests they have been very negative in relation to any negotiations they had with the GAA about holding these concerts, with regard to their opposition to the concerts.

and now at this late stage, they seem to be speaking more acceptingly of the idea of the concerts taking place.

You seemed to have watched the entire interview, then you will have surely seen where he says that they sat down for 3 meetings with the GAA to try and thrash an agreement out and the GAA didnt propose one document or come to any sort of agreement going forward, continuously kicking the can down the road. I would say a reason they are softening to it is because it's not worth all the vile abuse and hassle they are getting from people.

No event, no concert, nothing is worth people getting abused like they have been. But sure what about the music eh? That overrides everything right?

And still no official and comprehensive statement from the GAA, that community organisation that is all about communities. Their role in this really needs to be discussed publicly and formally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Media saturation earlier in the week aside, there's been a curious silence in the last 24 hrs. Do you think its a staring competition between Garth Brooks and the Irish side or have they reverted to the decision that its cancelled and thats that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Media saturation earlier in the week aside, there's been a curious silence in the last 24 hrs. Do you think its a staring competition between Garth Brooks and the Irish side or have they reverted to the decision that its cancelled and thats that?

Yep, its over

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jaysus, I'm exhausted! :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Yes, very silent yesterday - potential stand off scenario or else GB has started his swim! I think in fairness to all ticketholders the promoter/GB need to make final decision at this stage so peopld- if GB stickin to his guns then I think an over dramatic soap opera will be the only legacy of the whole fiasco!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Well refunds start on Tuesday, so they have one day left. . .
    At this stage I reckon the two scenarios for this to go ahead are either DCC backtracks and allows 5 (one per day) or Garth Brooks backtracks and does 3.

Highly unlikely both of them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Well refunds start on Tuesday, so they have one day left. . .
    At this stage I reckon the two scenarios for this to go ahead are either DCC backtracks and allows 5 (one per day) or Garth Brooks backtracks and does 3.

Highly unlikely both of them???

I don't see either, I'd say it's off

Yes, deafening silence suggests it will finally be knocked on the head! Hard to believe with less than 2 weeks to go that ticketholders still have no final outcome! Aikens seem to have gone to ground and the game of brinkmanship has not worked to date. Its no wonder some people who were looking forward to going just want to get their money back at this stage and move on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This clusterfuck is so gonna end up in court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/garth-brooks-team-tried-to-call-taoiseach-during-cabinet-reshuffle-636129.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Corholio wrote: »
    You seemed to have watched the entire interview, then you will have surely seen where he says that they sat down for 3 meetings with the GAA to try and thrash an agreement out and the GAA didnt propose one document or come to any sort of agreement going forward, continuously kicking the can down the road. I would say a reason they are softening to it is because it's not worth all the vile abuse and hassle they are getting from people.

No event, no concert, nothing is worth people getting abused like they have been. But sure what about the music eh? That overrides everything right?

What sort of agreement is Eamon O'Brien and the Croke Park Streets Committee seeking from the GAA?

The holding of any more than three concerts at Croke Park in any year, is at the discretion of Dublin City Council.

What does his group want from the GAA? Why doesn't he state what his group is asking of the GAA or Croke Park, in return for staging the concerts?

He didn't really clarify this on the Prime Time interview.

He is involved in a dispute with the GAA over the relocation of the Irish Handball Centre, some details are in this link

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=146298

and in this article

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/community-group-rejected-deal-to-end-croke-park-row-30409649.html

Did the GAA or Croke Park not already agree to contributing money towards community and voluntary organisations in the immediate area of Croke Park?

In the article above in the Independent it states:

"In the separate negotiations with residents over the Garth Brooks concerts, held prior to Dublin City Council’s decision last week to grant licences for three shows instead of five, the GAA committed to provide the area with a once-off legacy fund of €500,000"

It sounds to me that he would have responded negatively to any proposal from the GAA, with regard to holding the concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shaneosexual

Do GB's team realise the government have a country to run and can't be on standby for calls from GB! GB obviously feels he has the country to ransom with the eur50m spend reported. Situation gone ridiculous - I think Enda needs to tell him accept whats on the table or PFO at this stage! Pure greed and the argument that he can't make money from 3 concerts doesn't wash - Take That did 2 large scale concerts in croke park with all the bells and whistles and no whinging about being out of pocket! What is so elaborate here - all I have heard about so far is a monster screen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Enda is stuck between a rock and a hard place on this, He says no and everyone who has tickets, the pubs, restaurants, hotels, shops even the tourism will be affected and the 400000 ticket holders, on the other hand he lets it go ahead and is bashed by the ppl who like that he's sticking to the laws that are here and not getting involved.

Laws that do need to be looked at now so tell me, if the law allows for this situation to occur, how can ppl say they work?

Let the 5 go ahead then lets sort out the law, we already are being laughed at for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Enda is stuck between a rock and a hard place on this, He says no and everyone who has tickets, the pubs, restaurants, hotels, shops even the tourism will be affected and the 400000 ticket holders, on the other hand he lets it go ahead and is bashed by the ppl who like that he's sticking to the laws that are here and not getting involved.

Laws that do need to be looked at now so tell me, if the law allows for this situation to occur, how can ppl say they work?

Let the 5 go ahead then lets sort out the law, we already are being laughed at for this

Enda cannot do anything about this other than get the people involved around the table. That has been done, an offer -within the law and the granted licence- has been made and rejected.
    There is no more to be done...Brooks/Aiken are the obstacle, nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Nothing wrong with the law. The asses in this case are those running the concerts.

And so garthgate continues... :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

I feel something must have happened during the week when the 3pm meeting was called off and everything would suggest it was our great Owen Keegan who perhaps objected to certain parties being in attendance, as the Oireachtas meeting which was due to be attended by all concerned, has now been split into two meetings (Keegan & Co on the Tuesday and Aiken / the GAA on the Wednesday). He has also raised the issue that certain members of the Oireachtas might have vested interests, in that some of them are GAA members. Thereby making the inference that they are incapable of impartiality. Brass neck comes to mind.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/d%C3%A1il-transport-committee-to-discuss-garth-brooks-concerts-1.1863579

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I feel something must have happened during the week when the 3pm meeting was called off and everything would suggest it was our great Owen Keegan who perhaps objected to certain parties being in attendance, as he the Oireachtas meeting which was supposed to be attended by all concerned, has now been split into two meetings (Keegan & Co on the Tuesday and Aiken / the GAA on the Wednesday) and he has raised the issue also that certain members of the Oireachtas might have vested interests in that some of them are GAA members. Thereby making the inference that they are incapable of impartiality. Brass neck comes to mind.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/d%C3%A1il-transport-committee-to-discuss-garth-brooks-concerts-1.1863579

Oh look...he is flagging that there may be issues!

'Nasty habit that', says Peter Aiken.

The 'meeting' was called off because there where negotiations ongoing...keep up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement