Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

cunnijo wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

Drilling unfortunately is part of the install A cable has to connect the external unit to the internal ONT unit. The work is generally neatly done completely covering the drilled hole.

The outer box on my wall covers the hole as does the ONT inside!

I have to say that the lads who installed mine did a very neat job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Even with Eir FTTH where there is no box to cover the hole it is tiny. There is also some paint damage from the hole being drilled but again very small.
    You really do have to go looking for it to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Attachment not found.

Drilling unfortunately is part of the install A cable has to connect the external unit to the internal ONT unit. The work is generally neatly done completely covering the drilled hole.

Nice job on the box, hopefully there won't be too much visible wire.

Yeah install job was okay. Only getting 40mb down at the min

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Irish_rat wrote: »

Are you in Cork on Vodafone by any chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Irish_rat wrote: »

What package are you on?

I know Vodafone probably have the most customers on SIRO but it always seems to be them when people complain about speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

atlantean wrote: »
    Technically you should not need an eircode — when eircode was introduced it was stated that people did not have to use it, it was optional!

Unfortunately companies seem to be insisting on an eircode which goes against the official eircode useage guide and because of this a lot of people are having difficulty getting utility connections.

Talk to your postman. Send yourself some letters and you'll appear on the Eircode database. They seem to basically add houses as An Post discover they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Xertz wrote: »
    Talk to your postman. Send yourself some letters and you'll appear on the Eircode database. They seem to basically add houses as An Post discover they exist.

An Post don’t use eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

Eircode update their database once every three months. Presumably, it takes Siro some amount of time to update their database after they get the updates from Eircode. So, you could be waiting 3 months or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

plodder wrote: »
    Eircode update their database once every three months. Presumably, it takes Siro some amount of time to update their database after they get the updates from Eircode. So, you could be waiting 3 months or more.

We've had an Eircode since August and it still isn't updated on the SIRO website. Still waiting for them to run the fibre in our part of the estate. Rest of the estate was completed last summer.

We've had an Eircode since August and it still isn't updated on the SIRO website. Still waiting for them to run the fibre in our part of the estate. Rest of the estate was completed last summer.

It's possible that one house won't let the cable run across their property blocking the install for the rest of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

tuxy wrote: »
    It's possible that one house won't let the cable run across their property blocking the install for the rest of the estate.

Sorry, I thought SIRO came to house with electricity ducting, not strung through the air from house to house? My estste has had guys in drilling ino path every 5-10 houses Im guessing. Didnt expect individual houses would be in a position to deny their heighbours in that situation...

There's some info on this happening if you read back a page or 2

atlantean wrote: »
    An Post don’t use eircode.

Yes they do, and they also gather the data for creating the Eircode database.
    There's an endless rumour going around that they don't use it. The individual postmen at the end of routes may not as it's of little use to them on a familiar route, but it is used for sorting and processing of mail and packages and they have publicly stated this on numerous occasions, yet the rumour persists, like the leaky tunnels and so on.

There's a tendency here to just write everything off as pointless. Eircode should have a method though for updating the database far more rapidly, rather than relying on osmosis. For example, an Eircode should be assigned to all new build upon granting of planning permission, rather than dragging it out like this, particularly when it's blatantly obvious that utility companies are some of the major users of Eircode and people need to be able to get connected up.

Otherwise, you're creating a major problem for both the householder and the utility companies who have clearly been sold a system that is supposed to work but has a massive glitch if it's not recognising new builds long after construction.

Also SIRO should be able to resort to MPRN ESB meter references if they're stuck for an eircode...

Cork981 wrote: »
    Are you in Cork on Vodafone by any chance ?

Castletroy, Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I have SIRO (not through Vodafone but with Digiweb). I chose the 1GB option. For the first 12 months up to December 1st last my speeds were usually on average 900+ down and 200 up (Pings were between 2 - 4ms). However after that date speeds collapsed to between 300 and 450mbps down with pings ranging between 10 - 37ms and have not changed much since. The upload speeds remained virtually the same. I carried out the usual checks (modem & ONT reset, replaced ethernet cables, etc) but no improvements. Contacted technical support who initially could not understand such a drop in speeds and escalated it to second level support. They in turn sent out a replacement modem, which made no impact. With this the second level support person logged a call with SIRO who despite getting sample speed tests from me insisted there was no issue with their network or connection into my home and if a field engineer was to call there could be a callout fee of up to €200 (inc. VAT). The second level support person still has the call open in the hope that SIRO will resolve this even if it means sending the engineer without cost out of goodwill. Let's see what happens.

Has anyone else experienced this with other providers and if so was it resolved and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

I have SIRO (not through Vodafone but with Digiweb). I chose the 1GB option. For the first 12 months up to December 1st last my speeds were usually on average 900+ down and 200 up (Pings were between 2 - 4ms). However after that date speeds collapsed to between 300 and 450mbps down with pings ranging between 10 - 37ms and have not changed much since. The upload speeds remained virtually the same. I carried out the usual checks (modem & ONT reset, replaced ethernet cables, etc) but no improvements. Contacted technical support who initially could not understand such a drop in speeds and escalated it to second level support. They in turn sent out a replacement modem, which made no impact. With this the second level support person logged a call with SIRO who despite getting sample speed tests from me insisted there was no issue with their network or connection into my home and if a field engineer was to call there could be a callout fee of up to €200 (inc. VAT). The second level support person still has the call open in the hope that SIRO will resolve this even if it means sending the engineer without cost out of goodwill. Let's see what happens.

Has anyone else experienced this with other providers and if so was it resolved and how?

Yeah same issue here in Cork on Vodafone Siro in the evenings, speed drops to below 40mb down but stays at 192mb up.

I know of 5 friends and family in the area with the same issue.

Vodafone and Siro denying any issue.

Sounds like inadequate backhaul.

I wonder has there been more uptake than they expected? Areas of Cork City are less universally cabled by Virgin Media than equivalents in Dublin. There were some really poor decisions made in the Chorus era that saw MMDS being used as a cheap alternative to cabling some areas in the middle of cable areas.

Some of the areas you'd expect would be fully cabled e.g. Carrigaline which you might compare with say Swords, also never saw CATV rolled out.

I'd say plenty would be jumping at gigabit broadband.

Sounds like inadequate backhaul.

The same companies provide FTTH over the open eir network and I've heard no complaints there.
    Although not many have gone for the 1Gbps package on that network.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    The same companies provide FTTH over the open eir network and I've heard no complaints there.
    Although not many have gone for the 1Gbps package on that network.

It doesn't necessarily mean it's using the same backhaul infrastructure, especially at local level. If you think about it - FTTC/H will all hand over traffic at large telephone exchange buildings. Whereas the SIRO network would have to hop over to their backhaul gear at ESB sites somewhere, as the network topology's quite different.

Generally speaking the Open Eir exchange sites were always very well served for fibre routes, especially in cities

I'd assume they do use the same national backhaul but there may well be some bottleneck in their local networks beyond the point Siro hands off the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 p15353

Has anyone gotten the Vodafone Gigabox to work with a Meah system like the Netgear Orbi and managed to retain the VOIP phone and the parental controls on the Orbi (or equivalent)

Thanks a lot for any experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

I've been stuck broadbandless since before Christmas, I cancelled my subscription in November to move to another provider but my line keeps showing as an active line so no other ISP can take my order.

VF said to ring 019018660 but that's just installation so they can't help remove the active hold on my line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

stamjoe wrote: »
    I've been stuck broadbandless since before Christmas, I cancelled my subscription in November to move to another provider but my line keeps showing as an active line so no other ISP can take my order.

VF said to ring 019018660 but that's just installation so they can't help remove the active hold on my line.

Too late now in your case but you should never cancel your BB, let the new provider handle the changeover ( unless moving to a different type of system, cable to fibre etc)

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Too late now in your case but you should never cancel your BB, let the new provider handle the changeover ( unless moving to a different type of system, cable to fibre etc)

Don't Eir say you have to give them 30 days notice? They charge a month in advance and you can lose that money if you don't give notice.

CoBo55 wrote: »

I don't follow, you have to cancel to be able to order with another provider , I tried to do that initially and VF would not even let me order until my current provider then had released the active connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Maybe someone here can help me.

I built a new house in rural donegal finished two and a half years ago.
    when it came to getting a connection for broadband all that was available in the area was up to 8mg.
    We had no eircode at the time and the agent suggested using our neighbours who are my inlaws which was fine.
    Cut to trying to get connected to the cabinet thats on my lawn for the fibre to the home!

we got our own eircode after alot of arsing about <snip> but it says there is nothing available in the area.

now i know for a fact that two other neighbours below us got connected to that cabinet and have the ngb.

We have not been able to get talking to anyone who can help us.

would anyone be able to help guide me here?? thanks in advance

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've removed your Eircode - advertising your exact address to randomers on the Internet is never a good idea.

That aside, you should ask on the open eir rural FTTH thread, because you're definitely not in a SIRO area.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

stamjoe wrote: »
    I don't follow, you have to cancel to be able to order with another provider , I tried to do that initially and VF would not even let me order until my current provider then had released the active connection.

Are we talking about a SIRO or an open eir connection? And are you moving to or from Vodafone?

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Are we talking about a SIRO or an open eir connection? And are you moving to or from Vodafone?

Siro yes

Advertisement