Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 draw on Sunday

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

At very worst I would still expect third.

How many 3rds go through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Not the easiest draw but to be fair, if we can't get out of that group we shouldn't be in the Euros.

Captain obvious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Agueroooo wrote: »

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Agueroooo wrote: »

Best 3rd place goes straight in and the rest go to playoffs I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Only the best third-placed team qualifies, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Lapin wrote: »
    Face facts lads.

We ain't going to France. :(

We have a great chance it this group, as sticky as it is I'm confident. Providing we don't slip up in our home games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Others go into a play off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

And the other third place teams go into a playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I think its a grand enough group. Second is certainly on and we really shouldn't do worse than third.

Also if we are in the playoffs it's not going to be against the likes of Portugal or France

Eamon needs the cure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wonder what McGeady and McCarthy will feel about taking on Scotland. They might get a bit of grief from the Scottish crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Really tough as Germany are one of the two teams (with Holland) who steamroll groups - much better to be in with Italy or England (or even Spain) who tend to drop points. Germany is just horrible.

Also unlikely that the best 3rd place qualifier will come from this group, can see a plethora of draws between Poland, Scotland, Ireland and Georgia which kill the points total.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I think people are underestimating Scotland to be honest. Both games against them will be very tough.

Not to mean room Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Face facts lads.

We ain't going to France.

Really? worst case scenario, we go into a play off where we have roughly 50/50 shout... Thats assuming we arent top 3rd place finisher. i put E500 on us to qualify yesterday before the draw, William hill offering 6/4, paddy power were exactly half those odds!

there were worse groups, A would have been a nightmare. G very difficult too. Thank god we scraped 2nd pot!!!

Really tough as Germany are one of the two teams (with Holland) who steamroll groups - much better to be in with Italy or England (or even Spain) who tend to drop points. Germany is just horrible.

What's the advantage to the top speed dropping points when 2nd place automatically qualifies? You gotta assume all the top seeds will qualify anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

That's a very doable group tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Win home games and draw away to Poland and Scotland win other 2 away forgetting about Germany should see Ireland 2nd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Neeson wrote: »
    Surely we'll get someone from the UK. Probably Scotland because tha means Germany

It happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Confident we'll qualify either as a second place team or through the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Really? worst case scenario, we go into a play off where we have roughly 50/50 shout... Thats assuming we arent top 3rd place finisher. i put E500 on us to qualify yesterday before the draw, William hill offering 6/4, paddy power were exactly half those odds!

Your confidence makes me smile.

good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eamo is clearly drunk! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'm confident we can avoid defeat away to both Scotland and Poland, should beat at least one of them at home. It'd take a draw at home to the Germans as well. The rest if them are on plate for us. I'm confident we will qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Tough group but it's as tough for Poland and Scotland as it is for us. Think we will just about sneak qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some fcuking amazing away trips there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ireland, Poland ans Scotland can take points off each other.

Those are types of groups that suit Ireland.

• Advertisement

Some fcuking amazing away trips there.

Was just thinking that :)

That Gibraltar one jumps right out. Hopefully played in spring or summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

mike65 wrote: »
    Eamo is clearly drunk! :pac:

He had his middle finger pointing when he was leaning on his hand. Not a lot of games I am looking forward to there for the new TV centric fixture format

Ireland, Poland ans Scotland can take points off each other.

Those are types of groups that suit Ireland.

What about Georgia though? They're gonna be tough. Definitely don't right them off as an easy 6 pointer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

We've a great chance of getting second

Look I would rather be an Irish fan than a Scotland or Poland fan today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Feckin Germany again. By the law of averages we'll surely get results against them this time around, especially with the management set up we have now. I think we'll qualify from that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wish Richie would have told Eamo to go fuk off and retire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Why do England always get an easy group?

And why are they always top seeds?

They constantly under perform at each competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Poland for 2nd so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they do always seem to get jokes of group. They are top seeds because it is based on world rankings, even Bosnia were top seeds... they do do under perform and i expect they will be made an example of in Brazil, like they are in every tournament...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I dont think Gib are allowed to play their home games at their stadium so have to go abroad instead to play home games.

This is a photo of their stadium I took last summer.

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I dont think Gib are allowed to play their home games at their stadium so have to go abroad instead to play home games.

This is a photo of their stadium I took last summer.

Attachment not found.
    Was in faro last game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Really?

England consistently qualify for and then make the last eight or last sixteen of tournaments. We'll do it again in Brazil too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Poland for 2nd so

What makes you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If we can't finish above Scotland and Poland then we have no business being in it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Group D: Germany, Gibraltar, Georgia, Scotland, Poland, Republic of Ireland

Just say for ..(for the laugh) we end up with

1 points from Germany (draw at home ,lose away)

2 points from Poland (draw home and away)

4 points from Scotland (home win ,away draw)

4 points from Georgia (home win ,away draw)

6 points from Gibraltar (2 wins)

That would be 17 points which IMO is a realistic goal.
    If Germany (like a lot of people expect) steam roll all the other teams and Scotland and Poland take points of each other .
    OK looks like Poland at home and Georgia away will /could be the keg games and if we can pick up extra points in these would be a massive bonus .

Would /should (17 points) that be enough to get out of this group ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I am genuinely happy with that group. First seed pretty immaterial. Poland not the best third seed and Scotland not the best fourth seed.

Yeh gibraltor stadium is 5000 which is 3000 under capacity for UEFA. They're building a new stadium which will be ready in 2016 so too late for qualifiers. We won't be playing them in gibraltor.

irishmover wrote: »
    Yeh gibraltor stadium is 5000 which is 3000 under capacity for UEFA. They're building a new stadium which will be ready in 2016 so too late for qualifiers. We won't be playing them in gibraltor.

I wonder where will we be playing them, it won't be in spain. So would it be in Portugal?

jamesbere wrote: »
    I wonder where will we be playing them, it won't be in spain. So would it be in Portugal?

Most likely Southern Portugal yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

irishmover wrote: »

They're playing all their home games in Faro, said it during the draw.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,870 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Should be no problem to qualify from that group as clear second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

The Mulk wrote: »
    They're playing all their home games in Faro, said it during the draw.

Ryanair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Schwiiing wrote: »
    We would walk to second in Group E.

Completely disagree. Switzerland are a good side. We would be doing well to get a point in two games against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What's the advantage to the top speed dropping points when 2nd place automatically qualifies? You gotta assume all the top seeds will qualify anyway.

I'm pretty sure a vulnerable top seed is always mathemetically better, but would agree that in this qualifying structure avoiding the best 3rd and 4th pot teams was far more important than who the number 1 seed was.
    And we at least managed to avoid the trappier teams like Turkey, Serbia, Romania, Montenegro and the like.

Its dour though isn't it, hand on heart I could see six 0-0 hoofball draws in the games between Scotland, Poland and Ireland, with who manages to beat Georgia 1-0 being the clincher for who gets second and who gets dumped to fourth. I'm depressed by it at the moment, cheer me up.

Advertisement