Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep or sell Eircom / Verizon shares- it's creating a share of confusion!

Options
  • 06-03-2014 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking for advice not Eircom/Vodafone/Verizon shares - to sell or not to sell... The parents bought some shares for me when I was 19. I haven't done much with them and dividends wouldn't even buy a copy of Elle magazine! Like other shareholders, I have received documentation over the past few weeks , the most recent being a W8-BEN form. From my limited knowledge of stocks and shares, I'm getting that this is to reduce top he tax on my 1 share in Verizon. Worth my while selling for a few cent or hold out hope for the millions?! I'm clueless about this so expert advice welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I havent received anything in the post regrading what Ive seen in a national paper today. I bought a smallish amount back then and did nothing since.

They were converted to vodafone shares, I believe that I was given a smalelr amount of vodafone shares, I gave up on them but still am a shareholder of something.
    I've received a paltry dividend cheque every now and again.

Going by the independant, Im in for a windfall, Im not sure as I dont/wont buy the independant, so its as much as I could scan while in the Que at the checkouts.

It looks like its still a loss, but according to the Indpendent it will cover renovations etc :cool:, how they come to that conclusion, I dont know.

Not sure whats on the cards with it all? a cheque and some verizon shares?? as of yet, today was the first I heard of it, and Ive no idea what verizon shares are worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

First, there is no windfall.

Vodafone has sold its US operations for USD 130 bn to a firm called Verizon.

Verizon are paying in cash and Verizon shares.

http://www.vodafone.com/content/index/investors/verizon-wireless-transaction.yes.html

Vodafone have decided to return a lot of the proceeds of the sale to their shareholders.

So for each Vodafone share you have, you will receive cash + Verizon shares.

How much?

USD 0.49 = 30 pence = about 36 cent per Vodafone share

0.026 Verizon shares per Vodafone share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Geuze wrote: »
    First, there is no windfall.

Vodafone has sold its US operations for USD 130 bn to a firm called Verizon.

Verizon are paying in cash and Verizon shares.

http://www.vodafone.com/content/index/investors/verizon-wireless-transaction.yes.html

Vodafone have decided to return a lot of the proceeds of the sale to their shareholders.

So for each Vodafone share you have, you will receive cash + Verizon shares.

How much?

USD 0.49 = 30 pence = about 36 cent per Vodafone share

0.026 Verizon shares per Vodafone share

I never really thought there was a windfall, I was being sarcastic about the independant article,

also, how they try and twist this, that what little people have from their investment that they will be able to carry out renovations!?? like sowing the idea in peoples minds to spend money.

I am wondering if there is some paltry cheque coming my way, and now it seems Im also due a paltry number of verizon shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

My late mother bought my sister and I some shares which would be in our estranged fathers house.
    anyone know how we'd go about finding out if we are still shareholders or would they have been released during probate after her passing?

Advertisement