Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burke Family vs NUI Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Member 420

Jaysus the amount of media coverage this has got.

I think the Burke's shot themselves in the foot today, they could have walked away after the Gardaí left, but no, they chose to create a scene & it completely backfired on them. Over the entire afternoon I would say 500 different people were there at the protest, Many of whom may not have even been aware of the referendum & elections tomorrow. I would like to think more than 90% of voters will vote yes tomorrow & also that both Burkes will fail in the officer elections as them & their views are pretty much known by most of the college at this stage, along with the fact that they are both up against very strong candidates.

Look, those posters comparing Homosexuality to Paedophilia & Incest are completely out of line. They also bear the Christian Union societies name & therefore the CU have to take responsibility.
    Is this just the most audacious meta-troll of all time? Über piss-take is über :eek: How can she justify it? What's the spin?

SOO confused by her runnng as Equality Officer :confused:

Enoch Burke is a guy...

A few people I was talking to today thought it was a girl as well, odd enough name tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

hfallada wrote: »
    Why does a Christan Union society feel the need to hate against a minority? I imagine they wouldnt be allowed to actively spread hate against an ethic minority in a public funded institution.

Because they're the minority now. Most people support same-sex marriage, gay or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

I think they should be allowed to have their little display it only highlights the stupidity of their cause
    Instead of heckling and jeering a few of the sharper members of the debating society should of engaged them and dismantled their "theories" lord knows it wouldnt be difficult.
    On a side note the worst thing to do is physically assault them or their property, as if they are anything like the westboro nutters they make their living from lawsuits from goading people into assaulting them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

As an onlooker, I just want to say how badly many of the posters here represent NUIG.

I actually disagree with their stance on not allowing civil marriage for homosexuals, but that's beside the point. The bizarre irony is that the so called liberal, open-minded left wingers are actually the most intolerant of those differing from their own. I mean people encouraging destruction of their stall? It's absolutely disgusting and an insult to democracy and free expression of opinions.

I'm an LC student currently and currently have an NUIG course on my CAO. Student life is obviously important to me and such a hostile environment for expression of opinions isn't something I'm willing to endure. I will be removing NUIG from my CAO come the 1st of May. I'm just glad change of mind is still available to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

robman, by the sounds of it it was remarkably peaceful considering the numbers involved and the fact that it's something that has been brewing up for a long time with this weird little family and their trolling. If you're thinking that another university in Ireland wouldn't potentially have at least one person who would be so ridiculously violent as to tear down a few extremely bigoted posters, you're probably quite mistaken.

I'd argue dudes like the Burkes are pretty much trying to make themselves martyrs and I'm glad to hear that they got confronted on such a scale without being gave much at all to feed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

So this guy Eunoch Burke is against same- sex marriage and he's going for "Equality" officer? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

robman60 wrote: »
    As an onlooker, I just want to say how badly many of the posters here represent NUIG.

I actually disagree with their stance on not allowing civil marriage for homosexuals, but that's beside the point. The bizarre irony is that the so called liberal, open-minded left wingers are actually the most intolerant of those differing from their own. I mean people encouraging destruction of their stall? It's absolutely disgusting and an insult to democracy and free expression of opinions.

I'm an LC student currently and currently have an NUIG course on my CAO. Student life is obviously important to me and such a hostile environment for expression of opinions isn't something I'm willing to endure. I will be removing NUIG from my CAO come the 1st of May. I'm just glad change of mind is still available to me.

I think that's a bizarre trail of thought. This family, through the union they are heavily involved in, have put up extremely homophobic posters around the college. And yet, one of them is running for equality officer. I think what happened today was democracy in action. The stamping out of bullies with stone-age and highly insulting views can only be a good thing. When some sort of debate was started up today, this family talked over people with different views to themselves.
    They embarrassed themselves and I felt embarrassed watching them, embarrassed that people could be capable of holding such outrageous views. The sight of 2 of them protecting their one last poster was absolutely comical. Will be interesting to view the counts after tomorrow's votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Hate Speech is okay. Preventing hate Speech is not.

10/10 for logic buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

It's absolutely disgusting and an insult to democracy and free expression of opinions.
    Equality of all humans trumps freedom of speech any day. They were seeking to give a subset of humans less rights than the rest, so as far as I'm concerned they lost their rights to freedom of speech at that point.

& not only that, they compared a section of society, indeed a section of the student population to paedophiles.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

So proud of NUIG today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Wonder what they get up to at home if they behave like this in public

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

To be honest, you have to feel sorry for these Burke kids. They've been brainwashed through private tuition by their parents.

Here's another video from earlier when the counter-protest sit-in started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    To be honest, you have to feel sorry for these Burke kids. They've been brainwashed through private tuition by their parents.

I feel for the pigeons too. They must have been wondering wtf was going on today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I don't support their right to protest anywhere in public. People like that don't deserve a place to protest in modern civilised society.

This isn't an opinion piece, it's acting like a homophobic bigot or bully. Trying to lessen the rights of a minority group in our country. What's it to them how other people live their lives, it's none of their business so they have no right to protest against it.

I'd tell them to get off the street and my reasons why. I'd hope others would follow suit.

Thats it.

Fight intolerance with intolerance. That'll do it alrite.

I was in the concourse for that standoff today and left just after the mock marriage. I'd seen enough.

I utterly despise with every fibre of my being everything the Burke family stand for. I detest the message they aim to spread. And I consider them and their followers to be complete and utter fools and bufoons.

But as much and all as I disagree with them, I will always defend and respect anyone's right to be a complete and utter fool and bufoon.

Maybe they are homophobic. I couldn't really give a toss. I'm not gay so I'm not going to get offended on behalf of those who are. And I suggest anyone who is offended by the Burke's is too thin skinned for their own good. Retaliating and fighting back is exactly what they want us to do. Better off ignoring them altogether.

As I said, I don't agree with the Burkes. But I fully endorse their right to act like berks.

Let them have their say. It doesn't mean we have to listen to them.

All in all, this was an incredible display of democracy by the counter-protesters. The Burkes could very easily have become martyrs for their homophobic cause, but were instead met with a blend of cheesiness, lighthearted eyerolling, open minded disagreement, and a group of strong and intelligent debaters. I've been involved in gay rights protesting in Ireland for 10 years, and this was just an incredible experience. My faith in humanity is massively restored.

I agree with all this but the goodwill and dignity with which the SOS and others opposed the Burkes today was nearly jepordised by a few morons at the rear of the crowd throwing banana skins and other objects at the family.

This is uncalled for and only serves to generate the type of martyrdom and publicity the Burkes and every other Christain cause so desperately craves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Lapin wrote: »
    Thats it.

Fight intolerance with intolerance. That'll do it alrite.

I was in the concourse for that standoff today and left just after the mock marriage. I'd seen enough.

I utterly despise with every fibre of my being everything the Burke family stand for. I detest the message they aim to spread. And I consider them and their followers to be complete and utter fools and bufoons.

But as much and all as I disagree with them, I will always defend and respect anyone's right to be a complete and utter fool and bufoon.

Maybe they are homophobic. I couldn't really give a toss. I'm not gay so I'm not going to get offended on behalf of those who are. And I suggest anyone who is offended by the Burke's is too thin skinned for their own good. Retaliating and fighting back is exactly what they want us to do. Better off ignoring them altogether.

As I said, I don't agree with the Burkes. But I fully endorse their right to act like berks.

Let them have their say. It doesn't mean we have to listen to them.

I agree with all this but the goodwill and dignity with which the SOS and others opposed the Burkes today was nearly jepordised by a few morons at the rear of the crowd throwing banana skins and other objects at the family.

This is uncalled for and only serves to generate the type of martyrdom and publicity the Burkes and every other Christain cause so desperately craves.

Drop your holier than thou attitude. The Burkes were no less than insulting every gay student in the college directly. Free speech is all well and good but outright lies and insults should never be defended. Pathetic is this attitude that we should entertain people who are 100% without a shadow of an ounce of a doubt, in the wrong. What they were trying to pedal today were lies and slander.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Not an NUIG student, but please vote against that guy running for Equality Officer (absolutely bizarre he is running for this) in your droves, he will be making sure to drain every last vote out of his society.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Crazy day. Happy with how our student population acted for the most part. I think the fact that the guards also removed posters says a lot but the sheer volume of students who turned out to show support for equality is most impressive.

I presume the su is only having this referenfum to prove a point and raise awareness? Not like they wouldn't have taken this stance before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Does anybody have a picture to these posters?

I agree that they should be allowed to give their views, but comparing sections of society to rapists/pedophiles could be tantamount to inciting of violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Does anybody have a picture to these posters?

I agree that they should be allowed to give their views, but comparing sections of society to rapists/pedophiles could be tantamount to inciting of violence.

AFAIK we dont have incitement to hatred laws in Ireland, they do exist in the UK however.

Leaflet aka "gayz = paedoz" http://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/p370x247/1962850_760220377355424_1595328678_n.jpg

poster 1 aka "Unresolved Issues like those damned wife-swapping sodomites": https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/q77/s720x720/1948180_760494300661365_303491417_n.jpg

Poster 2 aka "Abortions for none, miniature grand pianos for all!" : https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/q71/s720x720/1506908_760482607329201_2136240097_n.jpg

Bertser wrote: »
    he will be making sure to drain every last vote out of his society.

All ten of them...

EDIT: The older brother, Isaac Burke, is running for Postgrad Officer. Make sure not to accidentally vote him in either!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

It's only 11.20 and there was a queue for voting at 10.30 already.
    The Burkes are doing a brilliant job, we must send them a thank you card on behalf of marriage equality, their hate-mongering campaign is having a great effect

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Drop your holier than thou attitude. The Burkes were no less than insulting every gay student in the college directly. Free speech is all well and good but outright lies and insults should never be defended. Pathetic is this attitude that we should entertain people who are 100% without a shadow of an ounce of a doubt, in the wrong. What they were trying to pedal today were lies and slander.

Correct: they have hidden their hatred-filled pathetic lies (cause they have no facts to back them up with) behind martyrdom. That's not free-speech, that's just plain old slander. It was the same with their pro-life campaign, all their posters and leaflets were just bull feces.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ConConKing

I'm in one of the computer suits on concourse and just seen either Isaac or Enoch (I can't really tell them apart) printing out 20/30 posters so I'm sure we're set for drama on some scale again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

ConConKing wrote: »
    I'm in one of the computer suits on concourse and just seen either Isaac or Enoch (I can't really tell them apart) printing out 20/30 posters so I'm sure we're set for drama on some scale again today.

Posters on marriage equality or their own elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ConConKing

He had all the posters rolled up and held very tight to his chest but I could see that they were green so I'm assuming they are the same marriage (in)equality posters as yesterday.

Yeah, Enoch is currently outside the canteen with posters in hand, being COMPLETELY ignored by everyone. I spotted a member of either ShoutOut or GIG Soc nearby looking like they were on hand to prevent anyone from causing a scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

AFAIK we dont have incitement to hatred laws in Ireland, they do exist in the UK however.

Leaflet aka "gayz = paedoz" http://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/p370x247/1962850_760220377355424_1595328678_n.jpg

poster 1 aka "Unresolved Issues like those damned wife-swapping sodomites": https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/q77/s720x720/1948180_760494300661365_303491417_n.jpg

Poster 2 aka "Abortions for none, miniature grand pianos for all!" : https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/q71/s720x720/1506908_760482607329201_2136240097_n.jpg

Yes we do Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act, 1989

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1989/en/act/pub/0019/print.html

which clearly states
    1.—(1) In this Act—

“broadcast” means the transmission, relaying or distribution by wireless telegraphy or by any other means or by wireless telegraphy in conjunction with any other means of communications, sounds, signs, visual images or signals, intended for direct reception by the general public whether such communications, sounds, signs, visual images or signals are actually received or not;

“distribute” means distribute to the public or a section of the public and cognate words shall be construed accordingly;

“hatred” means hatred against a group of persons in the State or elsewhere on account of their race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, membership of the travelling community or sexual orientation;

“publish” means publish to the public or a section of the public and cognate words shall be construed accordingly;

“recording” means any record from which visual images or sounds may, by any means, be reproduced, and references to the distribution, showing or playing of a recording are to its distribution, showing or playing to the public or a section of the public and “distribute”, “show” and “play”, and cognate words, in relation to a recording, shall be construed accordingly;

“written material” includes any sign or other visual representation.

(2) In this Act—

(a) a reference to any enactment shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be construed as a reference to that enactment as amended or extended by any subsequent enactment,

(b) a reference to a section is a reference to a section of this Act unless it is indicated that reference to some other enactment is intended,

(c) a reference to a subsection or paragraph is a reference to the subsection or paragraph of the provision in which the reference occurs unless it is indicated that reference to some other provision is intended.

2.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person—

(a) to publish or distribute written material,

(b) to use words, behave or display written material—

(i) in any place other than inside a private residence, or

(ii) inside a private residence so that the words, behaviour or material are heard or seen by persons outside the residence,

or

(c) to distribute, show or play a recording of visual images or sounds,

if the written material, words, behaviour, visual images or sounds, as the case may be, are threatening, abusive or insulting and are intended or, having regard to all the circumstances, are likely to stir up hatred.

Advertisement