Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motorcycle crash during IBT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Im am shocked by this tread. simple. Hope your ok and i'd agree with everything thats been said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I hope you are ok.
    The instructor should have shown more concern for you than his school bike.
    A bike can be fixed, its much more difficult to repair a human.
    You should have been offered protective gear that fit you, to keep you protected as much as possible.
    Not all instructors are like the one you had.
    Do not allow this accident to put you off biking. You should get back on a bike as soon as you are feeling fit, to ride again.

I can offer you free training to get you back riding confidently on a bike.
    If you want to take up the offer, send me a pm to arrange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I hope you are ok.
    The instructor should have shown more concern for you than his school bike.
    A bike can be fixed, its much more difficult to repair a human.
    You should have been offered protective gear that fit you, to keep you protected as much as possible.
    Not all instructors are like the one you had.
    Do not allow this accident to put you off biking. You should get back on a bike as soon as you are feeling fit, to ride again.

I can offer you free training to get you back riding confidently on a bike.
    If you want to take up the offer, send me a pm to arrange.

Mick. You are a ****ing legend. That's a savage offer for the chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Discraceful conduct if they are the facts (btw I don't doubt you). You are the victim of a cowboy and a danger to other new riders. In my opinion you should put your whole experience on an email with as much detail as possible.
    The following points should be addressed.
    1. Did he check your learner permit
    2. Did you tick off and sign the pre-training checks form
    3. All school bikes should be insured fully comprehensive
    4. There's a €250 excess attached to the insurance that I ask the trainee to cover if the bike is crashed which is signed as an agreement between both parties.
    5. Excess is never charged for minor damage only insurance claims.
    6. You should have module 1, 2 & 3 completed and signed off in your log book prior to module 4 the on road training commencing.
    7. The Garda & ambulance should have been called due to injuries sustained during an rta
    8. You should not have been left alone ever during ibt or an accident.

I could go on to list 20 different things but the main thing is you report this fool.
    I am sick of hearing these stories from all over the country so please do something as as instructors we cannot do anything unless trainees are willing to put it in writing.
    please don't be put off by this sorry excuse for an instructor and make sure you get well soon.

One last thing. Don't pay him a cent

Nice offer from lookbehindyou when your up for it.

You can report it using the following email address

adienforcement@rsa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Is motornewbie taking the piss out of all of you ? I find his story very hard to believe , maybe he should have posted it on the 1st of april

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

robinwing wrote: »
    Is motornewbie taking the piss out of all of you ? I find his story very hard to believe , maybe he should have posted it on the 1st of april

Are you taking the piss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Why should it be hard to believe, there are cowboys in every part of the service industry, why should bike training be any different.
    Or has it touched a nerve with you in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Great offer from Mick, fair play

When you feel up to it take this offer up and you will be defo put on the right track. Micks a great instructor and a sound chap

Don't let this put you off getting in to bikes, it's one of the best decisions I've made in my life, I regret not starting sooner tbh

Best of luck in the future mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Maybe it is a piss take...maybe it isnt. Fact is, there are genuine people on here looking out for each other. Even if we dont know each other.....the offer for free training in very very generous. And I wish there were more genuine people like that around.

There was a similar thread on Biker.ie a while ago about a guy who said a cop car ran into him and sped away then another cop car stops beside him and a lady cop gets out and tells him he is lucky not to be getting prosecuted etc . the whole story was a total fabrication it transpired . Read his original post again but this time with a critical eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

It could be made up for a laugh but it's not funny and I believe it.
    Unfortunately I have heard of similar experiences from other new riders who are afraid to complain to the RSA. This could have been a fatality due to negligence and it has to stop.

Roadskill wrote: »
    Yes that was so far fetched it could have been a comedy sketch but the OP has too much detail and seems genuinely aggrieved.
    I hope its not bull as it is a serious problem out there.

His knee pads were on his shins ? He was wearing over-sized heavy protective clothing but has 2nd degree road rash after tipping into a ditch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

There is only one way to stop a cowboy like this, do us all a favour and report him to the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

Jesus hope your ok OP as had been said report this cowboy to the Gardai and RSA. When I did my ibt I did sign the excess waiver think it a couple of hundred quid that was only if there was going to be a claim, minor damage ect no excess. I wouldn't pay this guy a cent and it would be him paying for my bills.

Take up that kind offer and get up on that bike again you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

Jesus hope your ok OP as had been said report this cowboy to the Gardai and RSA. When I did my ibt I did sign the excess waiver think it a couple of hundred quid that was only if there was going to be a claim, minor damage ect no excess. I wouldn't pay this guy a cent and it would be him paying for my bills.

Take up that kind offer and get up on that bike again you won't regret it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss?

I think the OP is. How do you get "2nd degree road rash" from going into a ditch?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

I can't explain the road rash/ditch issue as I've been lucky enough to never experience it.

But I've had a few fairly short girls on the bike and when they wear my spare bike trousers all of them have the knee pads at their shins. So that makes sense.

And maybe the gear was too big cause this guy is fairly short/small too. A huge winter glove would cause you to press the bike horn instead if the indicator a few times, especially if you've never ridden a bike.

Also if the clothes were too big the gloves could've come right off, or jacket ridden up, causing the rash.

I'm not saying the guy definitely isn't lying, but it's hardly an unbelievable story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I've heard before that Lookbehindyou is a nice guy, but that offer is phenomenal. OP, take an hour with him if you are based around Dublin, by literally all accounts I've seen on here, he is really good.

And, REPORT the bollix who you previously did training with...

The main reason I believe this story is because the OP didn't name anyone. Naming them would make me think they had a previous grievance, but he didn't so I think there's probably an accurate story being told....

And bike gear can give you "road rash" if it scrapes against you enough, second degree may be over exaggerating, but it could definitely have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I think the OP is. How do you get "2nd degree road rash" from going into a ditch?

You'd be surprised what you'd spend the following day picking out of your arse after sliding into an apparently soft, grassy ditch. I was that soldier! :)

I've heard before that Lookbehindyou is a nice guy, but that offer is phenomenal. OP, take an hour with him if you are based around Dublin, by literally all accounts I've seen on here, he is really good.

And, REPORT the bollix who you previously did training with...

The main reason I believe this story is because the OP didn't name anyone. Naming them would make me think they had a previous grievance, but he didn't so I think there's probably an accurate story being told....

And bike gear can give you "road rash" if it scrapes against you enough, second degree may be over exaggerating, but it could definitely have happened.

That offer is above and beyond generous....but that is normal for roadtraining.ie (Lookbehindyou) I have seen 1st hand extra training being given countless times to riders still not confident after training so extra training was given free of charge to get them confident. At his own expense I might add.

What you want from a trainer is a passion for motorbikes not a passion for making money off inexperienced people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 motornewbie

I can't post a pic on new account but PM me an email address and I'll send on a pic of road rash and wristband from a&e yesterday. The jacked didn't ride up i actually got it through tthe padded part of the jacket I'm not sure how.

The vents explain the holes on the helmet alright!! I was wondering as they were so uniform and went the full way through!

Thanks for the offer mick but I'm ok for now anyways! I do want to do it again when I'm healed up...hopefully soon as otherwise I'll never get back on a bike! Thanks for the advice everyone. Can't believe I was going to go back thinking it was normal. I was supposed to pay him after the second day but I'm not doing a second day. We had filled out no modules and i hadn't even seen the log book before going on the road. I do have hospital bill to pay but don't mind. No permenant damage. I'm happy enough to walk away from it now for a while. I do feel I ought to report him to the relevant people, definitely won't put his to trial by online mob here. I'm sure the trainers will look into it and make sure he gets back following procedures and gets insured. So yea thanks for advice and i will try get back on a bike when my injuries heal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Fair play but I would look into getting your hospital bill put against his insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

seamus wrote: »
    More than ten years ago now I had to rent a bike from an Irish Motoring School for a bike test because I only had a 125. This was back in the days of the long waits...

This exact thing happened to me. I rented a 250 from the Irish School of Motoring for my test, having done a number of lessons with them. Turned up on the day of the test to collect the bike & it seemed as though they hadn't logged my booking. Eventually they gave me a bike, but I couldn't get 2nd gear and third was a bit difficult... Had to do my test without 2nd, in Raheny, where the test route was mostly 2nd gear... Needless to say I failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Some advice that has not been mentioned yet, do your homework before you report him by all avenues.

If this person is not a registered instructor and was not part of a school and you took him at his word you could end up in bother for riding with no insurance. An accident involving an injury will be investigated by the guards, the first thing they will look for is your licence and insurance. If you don't have your own and were relying on school insurance ... well, from the sounds of it there might not have been any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

How will you feel if someone is killed next month on one of his "courses", knowing you could have prevented it by reporting him? Report him ffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Vikings wrote: »
    If this person is not a registered instructor and was not part of a school and you took him at his word you could end up in bother for riding with no insurance. An accident involving an injury will be investigated by the guards, the first thing they will look for is your licence and insurance. If you don't have your own and were relying on school insurance ... well, from the sounds of it there might not have been any?

That is highly unlikely. If the OP is paying a 'school' then it is reasonable to take them at their word that they have insurance. If the 'school' is lying then it is a case of fraud. The OP would never suffer any negative consequences in this case (other than what has happened already).

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is highly unlikely. If the OP is paying a 'school' then it is reasonable to take them at their word that they have insurance. If the 'school' is lying then it is a case of fraud. The OP would never suffer any negative consequences in this case (other than what has happened already).

I agree it's highly unlikely but it's not beyond belief that a cowboy of this nature has no insurance. Ignorance is no defence, it's black and white with insurance either you are or are not insured. It is up to the rider to prove he was insured if a guard demands his insurance. You can't produce what doesn't exist. You don't produce you more than likely go to court. Would a judge convict in this circumstance? Possibly not, anyone's guess. What I said still stands, if op reports the accident to the guards they will be asked to produce their licence and insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Vikings wrote: »
    I agree it's highly unlikely but it's not beyond belief that a cowboy of this nature has no insurance. Ignorance is no defence, it's black and white with insurance either you are or are not insured. It is up to the rider to prove he was insured if a guard demands his insurance. You can't produce what doesn't exist. You don't produce you more than likely go to court. Would a judge convict in this circumstance? Possibly not, anyone's guess. What I said still stands, if op reports the accident to the guards they will be asked to produce their licence and insurance.

With respect, just no. I know plenty of arsehole guards, I am 99.999999% sure that the OP would get no real bother for lacking insurance when he was on what he believed was a legitimate course of training.

It's not ignorance of the law if you believe you are insured because you are on what you believe to be a recognised course of training. There is no guesswork, not a judge nor guard could do anything to the OP for this.

OP. Just start reporting, the above is just wrong.

With respect, just no. I know plenty of arsehole guards, I am 99.999999% sure that the OP would get no real bother for lacking insurance when he was on what he believed was a legitimate course of training.

It's not ignorance of the law if you believe you are insured because you are on what you believe to be a recognised course of training. There is no guesswork, not a judge nor guard could do anything to the OP for this.

OP. Just start reporting, the above is just wrong.
    4) He did not have insurance. He said he had explained that "we'd have to have a talk" if I drove his bike into a wall..which I thought was a joke. We'd been joking all morning.

I'm not here for an argument, just giving some advice to the op.

Above is from the first post. At what point did the OP know there was no insurance? There is getting a good deal and there is doing something stupid. If you knew he had no insurance you should have walked away.

Dazzler, your opinion based on who you know does not change the fact that if there was no insurance, the OP can not produce insurance when a guard looks for it. When an accident is reported it is the first thing that is looked for.

Look, this "instructor" appears to be a cowboy of the highest order and should definitely be reported. But if you ring the guards and tell them I was riding a motorbike with no insurance and had a crash... and expect no questions to be asked?

• Advertisement

Roadskill wrote: »
    For anyone who is in need of clarification on how IBT is to be conducted then please read the attachment below.
    Attachment not found.

Shame the RSA dont have a *pdf file on pricing schemes across the board....some of the prices quoted by "Some" intructor's are nothing short off extortion!

How you can have a price differential between instructors of up to €150 for the same IBT is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Advertisement