Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband not supported?

Options
  • 04-06-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm quite unsure what to do here...

I ordered broadband, home phone etc. from Vodafone end of April/early May. All was well and good and the phone line got installed 2 weeks ago. Naturally I was happy enough things seemed to be running smoothly which was a far cry from my encounter with Magnet Broadband last year (but that's another story!). I called up last week to see when I'd have broadband on the line to which I was given an answer of 10-15 working days. I was surprised as I had thought that was the total runtime of the order I was given near enough, not just the broadband side of it. However I accepted this and decided to wait; after all, what could I do?

Today I get a text message from Vodafone citing that they had tried to contact me twice and could I phone back on 1907. Hoping that it was finally through I rang back straight away only to be told that my line cannot possibly support broadband. It tests red and they cannot possibly supply me with the products I ordered.

I would accept this had I not had broadband connected here before through Digiweb and Eircom and possibly others.

After having a mental breakdown, a panic attack and various other symptoms associated with such devastating news I rang up Eircom. Eircom told me the same thing, and even extended such news to the fact that I'm in all likelihood unable to get Fibre when it comes to the area in July.

I do not live in the backside of nowhere and I am not a person who can live without internet. In fact, I live in quite a populated area. Not Dublin by any means but populated. What I ask is am I the only person who has encountered this problem? And what can I do besides pay nearly €100/month for satellite broadband?

Honestly, how in this day and age can this happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Welcome to rural Ireland.

Whilst there may have once been a connection masquerading as broadband the suppliers are probably now more concious of the potential cost of mis-selling.

There may be a fixed wireless supplier in the area which would give you a cheaper and better connection than satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 louthlady02

That's the thing.. I'm not in a rural area. It is a suburban area. There's broadband in the area. There has been broadband in the house before. True enough there's deplorable mobile reception in the area making it impossible to depend on even GPRS being available.. 3G is a thing of the future here which is why I was rather depending on internet and more so the wait for fibre. Don't judge me for this but... #OnlyInIreland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Around where I live (Ashbourne), there is at least one cabinet in a semi-rural location. I guess there is enough houses in the area for Eircom to invest in and get a return on their investment. The location of these eFiber cabinets really depends on the population density around the cabinet. If Eircom see that there is a profit to be made in the area, they'll build a cabinet for it, but first, they'll target areas where UPC are lying their cables to stop UPC from stealing their customers.

If there are enough houses within 2km (by road) distance, they might build a cabinet for your area in future, but in the meantime, you have to settle for fixed wireless. Click on the fixed wireless box in the top-right of this page: http://www.irelandoffline.org/newmap/

There's a cabinet about 200m from the house and the current exchange is about 1mile from the house. It's not a rural issue...

There's a cabinet about 200m from the house and the current exchange is about 1mile from the house. It's not a rural issue...
    Further to this.. The area is very populated.. And fibre is due in July. Broadband has been in the house before.. There is no good reason that I couldn't get it again. I'm astounded by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

sounds like vodafone alright, i originally put a order thru with them for just fiber, no phone around april 14th and they told me i needed a new line even tho i had a line that was used for fiber (also from the dreadful company magnet) only a few months before hand. so i agreed as id no choice really, several weeks and call backs later i get a text telling me a installer would be at the house on the 9th may so i took a day off work to wait for him, come 4pm theres still no sign so i ring vodafone and get told, no the installers due the following week. great work vodafone im now down a days work, thanks.

installer arrives a week later and tells me here to ONLY put in a phoneline and that theres no order for fiber!!

back on the phone to vodafone and get told it takes 10-15 days for broadband to go live, really another 10-15 days on top of the month and half ive already been waiting. was not to happy about it tbh but nothing else could be done

2 weeks pass and the line finally becomes active, do a speedtest and im getting 12mb down 0.67kb upload. somethings not right..... so i log into the modem and oh look, ive been signed up to a adsl2+ product that i never ordered

so i then had to reorder the fiber package a hole 2 months after i originally ordered it. ive got it set up and working now but what a nightmare

oh and they also tried charge me 30 euro for their **** up, remember i never ordered call package nor used the line i didnt want or need once

Part Month Charges
    Phone No/CRN Description Period Covered Charge (inc. VAT)
    04******** Vodafone Simply Talk 09 May - 13 May €4.03
    Recurring Items
    Phone No/CRN Description Period Covered Charge (inc. VAT)
    04******** Vodafone Simply Talk 14 May - 13 Jun €25.00
    VAT @ 23% €5.43
    Total Amount Due
    €29.03

just looking thru my account i see that ive had a total of 4 or 5 orders on my account, why so many f ups on vodafones part

Order No. Date Details Status

******* 04/06/2014 Telecoms Complete
    Products Status
    €20 off 3 months Complete
    18 month Contract Extender Complete

******* 28/05/2014 Telecoms Complete
    Products Status
    Vodafone Simply Broadband Max (18 Month) - Fibre Complete
    Vodafone Simply Broadband Max Complete
    Vodafone Fixed Broadband Modem (Fibre) Complete

******* 26/05/2014 Telecoms Cancelled
    Products Status
    Vodafone Simply Broadband Max (18 Month) - Fibre Cancelled
    Vodafone Fixed Broadband Modem (Fibre) Cancelled
    Vodafone Simply Broadband Max Cancelled

******* 16/05/2014 Telecoms Complete
    Products Status
    Vodafone Simply Broadband Max (18 Month) Complete
    Vodafone Simply Broadband Max Complete
    Vodafone Simply Talk Complete
    Vodafone Fixed Broadband Modem (Fibre) Complete

******* 24/04/2014 Telecoms Cancelled
    Products Status
    Vodafone Simply Broadband Max (18 Month) Cancelled
    Vodafone Fixed Broadband Modem (Fibre) Cancelled
    Vodafone Simply Broadband Max Cancelled
    Vodafone Simply Talk Cancelled

if anyones thinking of going with vodafone get those rocks in your head checked.

Advertisement