Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Eircom Access Point

Options
  • 16-07-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I have an old Eircom Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 router kicking about the house which has been superseded by a Zyxel F1000 router. I was wondering if I can use this as an access point to cover a black spot in the house by using it as an access point.

What I have tried is this:
    0. Login to the router settings using the modem IP (192.168.1.254)

1. Network > Internet(WAN) > Internet Connection - Change the WAN type from 'ADSL' to 'Ethernet (Eth1)'

2. Network > Local Network(LAN) > IP - Change the modem IP from '192.168.1.254' to '192.168.1.253', ensuring that both routers are on the same Subnet mask.

3. Network > Local Network(LAN) > DHCP Setup - Change the DHCP setting from 'Server' to 'None'.

4. Security > Firewall > General - Change the firewall to 'Low'

5. Connect the two routers together using a CAT5E cable, plugging the cable into Ethernet port 1 on the access point

When I do this, the 'Internet' light on the access point (P660HW) lights up red and there is no way to obtain an IP from the network.
    I have deliberately not changed the SSID and Key for the access point to ensure that I can access the internet using the access point when connected to it.

I have no idea how to set the 'Default gateway' which needs to be the IP address of the base router (F1000). Can anyone help on this please?
    Also are there any other settings which I need to change to make this work?

Cheers

Looking at the Status page, the following show in the connection tab - Should they have other values - I assume so?
    WAN IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    First DNS: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    Tertiary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Network > Internet(WAN) > Internet Connection - Change the WAN type from 'ADSL' to 'Ethernet (Eth1)'

This is where you went wrong.

You dont want it to use its ethernet as a WAN connection, it needs to be a LAN connection. Leave it as ADSL. The rest with disabling DHCP and setting it to .253 is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 magical marshmallow

ED E wrote: »
    This is where you went wrong.

You dont want it to use its ethernet as a WAN connection, it needs to be a LAN connection. Leave it as ADSL. The rest with disabling DHCP and setting it to .253 is correct.

Hey,

I tried this and still no traffic between the two devices, is there something I'm missing?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Check you have the gateway IP of the access point set to the IP address of the main router.

How would I set that? Any ideas what tree it is in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

are you getting link lights on the LAN ports when you connect one to the other. Try connect one to the other using a short CAT5 cable first and test.

• Advertisement

I'm getting the Power, Lan 1 (link to my PC), Lan 4 (Link to base router) and Wifi lights, no DSL or internet lights

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm getting the Power, Lan 1 (link to my PC), Lan 4 (Link to base router) and Wifi lights, no DSL or internet lights

Dsl and internet should be off.

you should be able to just disable DHCP on the old Zyxel, assign it a different IP and connect one of its LAN ports to a free LAN port on your other router and it will work.

Have you tried plugging a device into a free LAN port on the Zyxel to see if that works?

Should it matter which LAN port I use? Logic dictates port 1, but could I need to use port 4?

Should it matter which LAN port I use? Logic dictates port 1, but could I need to use port 4?

it's possible you have ports switch off, in different VLANs or wrong duplex settings but if not then any port will do.

If I was a betting man I'd bet it is your connection between the two routers.

Bring the old one right back near the other and connect using a regular short known working patch cable and test.

• Advertisement

Solution - For some reason the subnet weren't the same. I'm a clown!
    Thanks for the help all!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

it wont work on the same subnet (P600 series modems doesnt support bridged ethernet 1483-rfc protocol) but you can get it to connect to the internet and work on another subnet

but it will work if you set the eth1 as the wan port like you did before

but change the router address to 192.168.2.254

leave everything else the same except use

159.134.0.1 for primary dns
    159.134.0.2 for secondary dns

@Bog Standard User Is this the reason that I was getting IP conflicts and such lark? Also found that my main router wasn't allowing downloading from the web and stuff?

@Bog Standard User Is this the reason that I was getting IP conflicts and such lark? Also found that my main router wasn't allowing downloading from the web and stuff?

yes you cannot use a p660 as an access point on the same subnet

but you can get it to work by putting the p660 on a second subnet

netopia modems can do 1483-rfc bridged ethernet though

yes you cannot use a p660 as an access point on the same subnet

but you can get it to work by putting the p660 on a second subnet

netopia modems can do 1483-rfc bridged ethernet though

When you say a second subnet, I presume the subnet mask will stay as the value given in the base router?

Would setting the DHCP to relay as opposed to none make any difference?

it wont work on the same subnet (P600 series modems doesnt support bridged ethernet 1483-rfc protocol) but you can get it to connect to the internet and work on another subnet

but it will work if you set the eth1 as the wan port like you did before

but change the router address to 192.168.2.254

leave everything else the same except use

159.134.0.1 for primary dns
    159.134.0.2 for secondary dns

I think I'm doing something very wrong as I can't get this to work. I can't access the internet using the LAN ports on the P660, let alone the wireless. I've no clue what I am doing wrong though

I think I'm doing something very wrong as I can't get this to work. I can't access the internet using the LAN ports on the P660, let alone the wireless. I've no clue what I am doing wrong though

connect computer to port eth2, 3 or 4 (but not eth1)

reset p660 modem

log on to p660

go to LAN settings then change router ip to 192.168.2.254

set dns servers to user defined

primary dns = 159.134.0.1
    Secondary dns = 159.134.0.2

click apply

next log back into router (now url is 192.168.2.254)

go to WAN settings

change connection from auto syncup to ethernet eth1

click apply (modem reboots)

next log back into router (now url is 192.168.2.254)

go to back to WAN settings

set it to obtain ip address automatically
    set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
    set default gateway to 192.168.1.254 (your fibre modem's ip)
    set dns servers to user defined

primary dns = 159.134.0.1
    Secondary dns = 159.134.0.2

set connection to always on.

click apply then connect an ethernet cable from port eth1 on the p660 to any of the ethernet ports on the fibre modem

then reboot your P660 modem. the dsl light on the p660 will stay off but the internet light should turn red first then green... once green your modem is online.

connect your wireless devices using the ssid & wpa2-psk key on the p660

and your done.

this can also be done with a d1000 modem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm using my D1000 as a wireless access point for my Horizon box.

My configuration was much simpler.

1. Factory reset D1000

2. Connect to D1000 and set to Bridge mode. Disconnect D1000.

3. Connect ethernet from router, to eth3 (not sure if this makes a difference) on D1000.

4. Connect to D1000 wireless (using ssid / password on d1000 - these can be changed if you wish).

5. Enjoy internet access.

connect your wireless devices using the ssid & wpa2-psk key on the p660

and your done.

this can also be done with a d1000 modem

Cheers man

Quick question - Can 1: Set the SSID of both routers to be the same?
    2. Get rid of the DHCP server and set it to 'relay' the IP's from the F1000 modem (192.168.1.254) or will that bugger stuff up?

actually i discovered a way to use the p660 & d1000 on the same subnet as the f1000 and it is so easy i cant believe i missed it lol

to do this with a P660

reset the p660

apply it then after it reboots log in again and go to network> lan and disable dhcp and click apply

next go to and go to network> wireless and match the ssid and wpa2-psk key to that of the f1000

click apply then connect an ethernet cable from lan port 1 on p660 to lan port 1 on f1000 and you are done.

to do this with a d1000

reset the d1000

log into it and go to network settings > home network, change the router's ip to 192.168.1.200

apply it then after it reboots log in again and go to network settings > home network and disable dhcp and click apply

next go to and go to network settings > wireless and match the ssid and wpa2-psk key to that of the f1000

click apply then connect an ethernet cable from lan port 1 on d1000 to lan port 1 on f1000 and you are done.

no need to bridge the f1000

therefore it will work for evision customers BUT the evision stbs need to be connected directly to the f1000 (for qos rules to give the tv streams) and the computers can connect to the d1000/p660

NOTE dsl and internet lights will remain off on the d1000/p660 but you will still have a connection

• Advertisement

actually i discovered a way to use the d1000 on the same subnet as the f1000 and it is so easy i cant believe i missed it lol

reset the d1000

log into it and go to network settings > home network, change the router's ip to 192.168.1.200

apply it then after it reboots log in again and go to network settings > home network and disable dhcp and click apply

next go to and go to network settings > wireless and match the ssid and wpa2-psk key to that of the f1000

click apply then connect an ethernet cable from lan port 1 on d1000 to lan port 1 on f1000 and you are done.

therefore it will work for evision customers BUT the evision stbs need to be connected directly to the f1000 (for qos rules to give the tv streams) and the computers can connect to the d1000

by d1000, do you mean my p660?

by d1000, do you mean my p660?

yup ive just updated my post for the p660

actually i discovered a way to use the p660 & d1000 on the same subnet as the f1000 and it is so easy i cant believe i missed it lol

to do this with a P660

reset the p660

apply it then after it reboots log in again and go to network> lan and disable dhcp and click apply

next go to and go to network> wireless and match the ssid and wpa2-psk key to that of the f1000

click apply then connect an ethernet cable from lan port 1 on p660 to lan port 1 on f1000 and you are done.

to do this with a d1000

reset the d1000

therefore it will work for evision customers BUT the evision stbs need to be connected directly to the f1000 (for qos rules to give the tv streams) and the computers can connect to the d1000/p660

NOTE dsl and internet lights will remain off on the d1000/p660 but you will still have a connection

I'm getting an error message when set the router to 192.168.1.200:

ERROR: You cannot select an IP address that is within the DHCP pool

Will setting it to 192.168.1.253 work?

you can try it

Why not try 192.168.2.200

Why not try 192.168.2.200

Still can't get this to work using the same SSID and key as the original network.
    Windows 7 can't 'recognise the network' and so cannot get internet connectivity either via wireless of by plugging in using a patch cable

I think my problem may stem from the fact that I am using a Zyxel PLA4201 v2 adapter to move the access point around the house and not an ethernet/Cat5e cable.
    I don't quite see why this would make a difference though

Still can't get this to work using the same SSID and key as the original network.
    Windows 7 can't 'recognise the network' and so cannot get internet connectivity either via wireless of by plugging in using a patch cable

I think my problem may stem from the fact that I am using a Zyxel PLA4201 v2 adapter to move the access point around the house and not an ethernet/Cat5e cable.
    I don't quite see why this would make a difference though

Surely you are using cat5 to get the signal to the adapter though?? It is just a powerline adapter after all, so you do need 2 of them...(one to connect to f1000, one to connect to d1000)

Apologies if this seems patronising, but sounds as if you only have 1 adapter :?

Surely you are using cat5 to get the signal to the adapter though?? It is just a powerline adapter after all, so you do need 2 of them...(one to connect to f1000, one to connect to d1000)

Apologies if this seems patronising, but sounds as if you only have 1 adapter :?

You're absolutely right, they come as a pair - well mine did!

Still can't get a reliable connection using the same subnet for some reason (I'm not using an f1000 and d1000, I'm using and f1000 and a p660HW, but I suspect it's much of a muchness)

I've set up on two different subnets, but I can't ping the IP address of the access point for some reason - is this normal?

You're absolutely right, they come as a pair - well mine did!

Still can't get a reliable connection using the same subnet for some reason (I'm not using an f1000 and d1000, I'm using and f1000 and a p660HW, but I suspect it's much of a muchness)

I've set up on two different subnets, but I can't ping the IP address of the access point for some reason - is this normal?

So you're still using the p660 as a router? Does it have a WAN port or how are you connecting the ethernet cable to it?

p.s. quick apology for suggesting you might have been as silly as to be using only 1 adapter and thinking it would magically work!

Can you not set the p660 to 'obtain IP address automatically', or is there a specific reason you're assigning it a static one?

If you are merely using it as an access point, it should be set to bridge mode, and let the F1000 handle DHCP for all devices connected to the p660. You should be able to enable this by either disabling DHCP on the p660, or setting it to 'relay' and entering the F1000's IP address.

• Advertisement

So you're still using the p660 as a router? Does it have a WAN port or how are you connecting the ethernet cable to it?

p.s. quick apology for suggesting you might have been as silly as to be using only 1 adapter and thinking it would magically work!

Can you not set the p660 to 'obtain IP address automatically', or is there a specific reason you're assigning it a static one?

If you are merely using it as an access point, it should be set to bridge mode, and let the F1000 handle DHCP for all devices connected to the p660. You should be able to enable this by either disabling DHCP on the p660, or setting it to 'relay' and entering the F1000's IP address.

No apology necessary :)
    The P660 doesn't have a WAN port (Just a DSL (RJ11) and 4x Ethernet)

Currently I have the P660 WAN settings as Ethernet (Eth 1) and the encapsulation as Ether on a subnet of its own (so I need a DHCP server)

No particular reason why I have a static IP, but I've another device with a static IP so it was easy to remember.

If I put the P660 WAN settings to ADSL and Bridge, what other settings should I set? There's a handful of settings which I've no idea about, so perhaps you could advise?

Yes ideally I would have just the one DHCP server - would make life easier! Is there a difference between having the DHCP settings set to 'None' and 'Relay'?

Advertisement