Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Goodbye Howard Webb. Don't hurry back.

BuXC5uuIAAMFHOK.jpg:large

Hope that puts to bed the United favouritism...

Expensive chap to have on the payroll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

That has to be the most boring day of posts ever.
    What is everyone having for tea?

What's this? A Mod posting a non-Liverpool post, in a Liverpool forum? :eek:

In other news, Benzema just signed a contract with Real, keeping him there until 2019. Falcao surely won't be going there now?

Daily Mail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

tok9 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be a so called "elite player"? Picking out Falcao is the same as picking out Ibra, Ronaldo or Messi... there is no chance we could afford or attract these players for various reasons.

Someone linked Jackson Martinez earlier for about £28 million. Now that for example seems like much better value to me and far more realistic too.

What would you think of that?

I'd much rather Martinez for £30m than Bony for £10m, I'll say that much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Luis Suarez, 2011.

Luis Suarez was far from world class in 2011. He wouldn't have been in the top 20 players in world football, might have broken into the top 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Luis Suarez was far from world class in 2011. He wouldn't have been in the top 20 players in world football, might have broken into the top 5.

Far from World Class? Yeah I don't agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Why on earth are we being linked to Mauro Icardi ?
    And for the baffling figure for €30m ?
    He scored 9 goals last season and 20 goals in 55 games in Serie A

Agent whoring him about and using us as a stalking horse maybe? Given its the first I've heard us linked and we're not exactly desperate I can't imagine its genuine

Bleacher Report seem to disagree with you.

Bleacher Report

Before you say that's bleacher report, I agree it is Bleacher Report and you need to take it with a pinch of salt but bare in mind I would put him higher than 19th and I'm sure alot would agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Far from World Class? Yeah I don't agree.

Me neither. There were few players better than him in Europe in 2009/10. He was awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I'd much rather Martinez for £30m than Bony for £10m, I'll say that much.

How come? Is he that much better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Suarez was class before he signed for Liverpool. Just because some posters weren't familiar with him back then doesn't mean he wasn't.

In his last season he wasn't far off reaching the level of goal scoring form he achieved playing in Holland, and I do believe Rodgers helped with that but Suarez has been class for years.

billy2012 wrote: »
    Suarez was class before he signed for Liverpool. Just because some posters weren't familiar with him back then doesn't mean he wasn't.

Precisely. Guff like comparing him to Alfonso Alves because of goalscoring stats proves they saw very little of him before joining.

billy2012 wrote: »

In his last season he wasn't far off reaching the level of goal scoring form he achieved playing in Holland, and I do believe Rodgers helped with that but Suarez has been class for years.

Couldn't agree more.

Suarez has been world class.

Another thing worth mentioning is the 3 best players in the world. Suarez, Ronaldo and Messi. They are very very far ahead of whoever you consider to be the 4th best. This is because he's at his peak. Before his peak he was certainly in the top 10 in the world for at least 3-4 years.

If you play outside the best league in the world you can be class but never world class.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If you play outside the best league in the world you can be class but never world class.

So was he not world class last season or can he not be world class next season? Which is it? I'm hoping instead you just missed an s from the end of league.

5starpool wrote: »
    So was he not world class last season or can he not be world class next season? Which is it? I'm hoping instead you just missed an s from the end of league.

EPL is the best! Sky told me

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

rarnes1 wrote: »

Do you mean the EPL or La Liga? actually wtf does that mean?

Scrub that, saw your next post. :-)

I think to be considered World Class, you must reasonably be considered the best in your position. That's my definition. Which I just came up with there now.

Fescue wrote: »
    I think to be considered World Class, you must reasonably be considered the best in your position. That's my definition. Which I just came up with there now.

To be considered truly world class you need to make it into a Liverpool Utd combo boards team

• Advertisement

Please not another definition of World Class debate! :pac:

8-10 wrote: »

When the World does have to send a team to play an Alien super race, to save humanity, I'll have my list ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

When the World does have to send a team to play an Alien super race, to save humanity, I'll have my list ready.

All strikers.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    All strikers.

Indeed. Some living, some cryogenically unfrozen, some recreated from a single strand of hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Precisely. Guff like comparing him to Alfonso Alves because of goalscoring stats proves they saw very little of him before joining.

All strikers signed from the Eredivisie must be compared to Alfonso Valves. Failing that, Kezman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Yeah there weren't many more brilliant players than Luis in Europe when we signed him in 2011. Lucky for us he was off his box and no-one else was in for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

mosstin wrote: »
    All strikers signed from the Eredivisie must be compared to Alfonso Valves. Failing that, Kezman.

Heheh, Alfonso Valves!

You should have filtered that one out. Too many silly posts being pumped around this forum.

Ahem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Where is Coady going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I am pie wrote: »
    Heheh, Alfonso Valves!

You should have filtered that one out. Too many silly posts being pumped around this forum.

Ahem.

Yes, well you've drained the last dregs of humour from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Augmerson wrote: »
    Where is Coady going?

Huddersfield. 500k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Huddersfield. 500k

Think St. Ledger is mean't to be joining them too. Hope it works out for him there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Huddersfield. 500k

probably pays for Manquillo loan so not a bad bit of business.
    he will get games for Huddersfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

Attachment not found.Howard Webb retired to spend more time with his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Knex. wrote: »
    Someone like Lacazette, who looks to be on the cusp of becoming great, is probably much more in our target range.

YES PLEASE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kess73 wrote: »
    No, but a few posts today seemed a bit dismissive of his take on things. I can find plenty in what he said that I disagree with, but am of the thinking that debating it with him works better.

Not trying to have a pop at you over it, and am not in mod mode either, but I do think Lloyd and a few others get dismissed a little easily sometimes due to how their take on things get perceived.

My own take on it is that you and Lloyd would probably make for an interesting enough exchange (and in a very good way) if a debate over the pros and cons of the differing preferences for this transfer window kicked off.

I just happen to like reading both your posts when debate mode kicks in, and thought your short retort was short changing you as much as it was the rest of us in terms of a potential debate being had.

Certainly did not mean to suggest you were trying to say that he was not entitled to an opinion though, and sorry if it came across that way.

Ah, it was meant tongue in cheek, no malice whatsoever. Its unlikely we'll be looking at Falcao. We should be trying for Martinez though and from stuff posted today, looks like we are interested.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

Suarez has been world class.

Another thing worth mentioning is the 3 best players in the world. Suarez, Ronaldo and Messi. They are very very far ahead of whoever you consider to be the 4th best. This is because he's at his peak. Before his peak he was certainly in the top 10 in the world for at least 3-4 years.

Very far ahead? Bale, James R, Reuss, Neymar and a few others would have a claim to be in the top bracket. Its a bit much to claim those three are streets ahead of the rest. Messi a couple of seasons ago maybe, Suarez on the back of several extremely good and one exceptional season (domestically only)? No! Hugely valuable to us alright but a lot of the love for him is through red tinted glasses

Based on the media definition it will be 11 forwards with messi playing fly keeper

(And Madrid will have a bid in for them all)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dnipro minutes away from CL elimination, I wonder will this open a door for a move for Konoplyanka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Good summation here: World class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NukaCola wrote: »

nope.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Dnipro minutes away from CL elimination, I wonder will this open a door for a move for Konoplyanka.

Would he be cup tied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »

I don't know what this is from but it seems apt for this place:

Damn_You_ID_by_Gazzit.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

K-9 wrote: »
    Ah, it was meant tongue in cheek, no malice whatsoever. Its unlikely we'll be looking at Falcao. We should be trying for Martinez though and from stuff posted today, looks like we are interested.

Javi Martinez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Seen Manquillo 5 or 6 times with Atletic & Spain u20's. Think he will surprise alot & become a regular after a while. Has all the attributes needed to be a top class RB.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Javi Martinez?

Jackson?

Jackson?

Michael Jackson?

Michael Jackson?

Jordan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus