Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland is been invaded by lycra perverts..m

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Neyite wrote: »
    Unlikely. An Post only have those leaflets where they pretend you aren't home.

True, but they do have huge packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Yeah, I've heard of AliExpress. To be honest I'd prefer to support someone like swimcyclerun.com

I'd second that. Dealt with them 3-4 times in the past 6 months and they are excellent to deal with.

I had to change the size of an item recently and they e-mailed me details of how to do it and kept in touch until I got the new item. Oh and they are one of the cheapest on the net..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Say what you like about the lycra/marketing fetishists, at least their ridiculously disproportionate lobbying power has got us a shedload of cycling lanes that they refuse to cycle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

daveohdave wrote: »
    Say what you like about the lycra/marketing fetishists, at least their ridiculously disproportionate lobbying power has got us a shedload of cycling lanes that they refuse to cycle in.

That's more to do with the píss poor implementation of said cycling lanes which are by and large unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

You do realise the mandatory use of cycling lanes was revoked in 2012?

What is a shame here is that we have invested billions in road transport (much needed to bring us on par with other European countries) to the detriment of cycling infrastructure. Motorists continually give out on boards about cyclists on "their roads" but the fact if the matter is that investment in cycling infrastructure lags way behind other countries that have invested in it.

Anyway not sure what relevance this had to Lycra.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

<Arrive into thread>

<Check for Ned Flanders/Simpsons/"Nothing at all" reference>

Grand, job done. That's about all this thread is good for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ror_74 wrote: »
    There is actually a point to be made here about the domination of cycling sport over general cycling culture.

Not everyone who rides a bike wants to do so as a sport, but often the options aren't there in the bike shops. For example, the Bike To Work scheme has been successful at off loading huge amounts of yellow jackets and a choice of a small number of road bikes/ hybrids. Where are the High Nellies and Pashleys ? It seems that if you want a good quality comfortable bike, you have to get involved in the sport side of things.

I do a round trip of 38km cycling per day in my work clothes and some rain gear in a backpack if required, and it works out fine. I keep lycra for training and sporting events.

Other options are available, you just have to do a bit more searching and thinking outside the box. Example: Folding bikes are hard to come by in stock in the bog standard bricks and mortar shop, got mine online and cost about 100 less than if I had to order it thru a regular shop.
    The genuine nellys are getting pricy,a lot of em ended up in skips...you couldn't give them away 15-20 years ago when no-one wanted them. As my other bike dates from about the mid 1930's...I definitely won't be sporting Lycra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

Why can't ye sellotape your conkers to yer ass or the inside of your legs or something if you're going to wear lycra?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I cycle over 14km each way every day in normal shorts with no major issues, in the rain, with a number of inclines, over dodgy roads with properly inflated road tires. I feel no need for stretchy pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I cycle over 14km each way every day in normal shorts with no major issues, in the rain, with a number of inclines, over dodgy roads with properly inflated road tires. I feel no need for stretchy pants.

Me too.
    I find that if you tuck your tracksuit bottoms into your wellingtons you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ikarie

I cycle myself regularly, I use an upright bike with high bars, wide gel saddle and mirrors. Have to say its an enjoyable experience to ride I cover lots of miles in ordinary clothing, I can see behind me with the mirrors and I'm pretty visible to other road users in the bikes seating position.
    I have yet to see another bike like mine regularly on the road, instead they're all racing machines!
    I've even passed a few :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Dress for the body you have, not the body you want..."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Reading a lot of the crap spouted out in this thread makes me realise why I can't be arsed venturing into AH for most of the year .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

john.han wrote: »
    I used to do the 40k in about 2 and a half hours over plenty hills and in all kinds of weather, on a mountain bike with dodgy brakes, wearing normal clothes and got on grand.
    So once upon a time, you used to be able to average almost 10 mph on your defective MTB. Impressive! :D
    How bout you stick on normal shorts over the lycra just once and see if it makes a blind bit of difference?
    Maybe I'll give that a try, in the unlikely event that I'm content to cover distance at the same rate as a fit jogger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

ikarie wrote: »
    I have yet to see another bike like mine regularly on the road, instead they're all racing machines!
    The ones locked to railings don't count.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Inquitus wrote: »
    That's more to do with the píss poor implementation of said cycling lanes which are by and large unusable.

And don't forget the broken glass, mushy leaves and dog-walkers with the extendible lead stretched across the lane to create a Nazi-style booby trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ikarie

The ones locked to railings don't count.
    http://www.pashley.co.uk/bikes/bicycles/parabike.php#

Oh I think I can give the unlocked ones a run for their money! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I used to do the 40k in about 2 and a half hours over plenty hills and in all kinds of weather, on a mountain bike with dodgy brakes, wearing normal clothes and got on grand.

I am one of those aforementioned lycra wearing cyclists. Being honest, I hate wearing it but I generally go for a 60 - 1000km spin. The first time I got my bike and done a 25km spin, I done it in a pair of shorts and t-shirt and my inner thighs were ripped to ****. It was only then that I realised that you need something that won't chaff and also some padding on your ass, ie cycling shorts. Also, if you are hitting 30-45kmph and wearing a baggy t-shirt, it (a) drags in the wind and (b) gets in your way, hence why cyclists wear tight fitting tops. The clothes are purely functional.

Yes you could do it on a mountain bike but I want to push myself and go fast to get my miles in and not sit on the bike for 3 - 4 hours, therefore I need a road racer. I also find that the geometry of the racer suits me better and its a lot more comfortable position for me.

I don't get the aggro towards cyclists, its getting people out exercising which is only a good thing for this country. I would be more concerned with young ones wearing belly tops with a horrible swiss roll hanging out and thinking they look sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

dubscottie wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

Says it all..

But they are they worst when it comes to road traffic law.. "I wear lycra and did a "race", so can do what I wish"

Twats..

"Metorsexuals" = cyclists. Cream for your arse? you are doing it wrong..
    That... doesnt really say anything at all :confused:

RainyDay wrote: »
    And don't forget the broken glass, mushy leaves and dog-walkers with the extendible lead stretched across the lane to create a Nazi-style booby trap.

Cycling lanes should be on the road and not a part of the footpath. There is a great cycling lane from Abbeyleix to Durrow and I use it all the time, its brilliant and the way all cycling lanes should be.

Then there are cycling lanes that are on the footpath with all sorts of dips, kerbs, entrances to driveways that start and stop randomly and always have people walking in them. Those lanes are fine for a leisurely cycle going slow, they are not suitable for somebody going 30 - 40kmph.

• Advertisement

That... doesnt really say anything at all

But you can't get chaff burns when you cycle on a turbo trainer... surely its only when you are out on the road :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sarutobi

They are far more comfortable. Especially when they have padding in the crouch area! Chill winston! ;)

RoboRat wrote: »
    But you can't get chaff burns when you cycle on a turbo trainer... surely its only when you are out on the road :rolleyes:
    Maybe, but how do you explain the jersey, surely he could be wearing a faded Jurassic Park tshirt and a dressing gown if he's just pedaling around the house?

Maybe, but how do you explain the jersey, surely he could be wearing a faded Jurassic Park tshirt and a dressing gown if he's just pedaling around the house?

Yeah I actually agree with you there, personally I just wear an old t-shirt and cycling shorts on the TT and I am sure a lot of other cyclists do too. There are some people who like to wear their matching kits (they're called Freds) or else he may have some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder... or perhaps he was just doing a photo shoot and that is what he was given to wear?

Sarcasm fail on my part, obviously you're better off in a jersey just for moisture wicking, being used to wearing it when you do get out on the road etc

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Ughh

ikarie wrote: »
    I cycle myself regularly, I use an upright bike with high bars, wide gel saddle and mirrors. Have to say its an enjoyable experience to ride I cover lots of miles in ordinary clothing, I can see behind me with the mirrors and I'm pretty visible to other road users in the bikes seating position.
    Depends what your ordinary clothing is. My jeans wear out very quickly when cycling I'd need to get a new pair every couple of weeks just don't feel wealthy enough to do so.

Advertisement