Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

dublinjen wrote: »
    Well what a weekend! I havnt been able to post all week since I decided to start a new job the day after EP - in case you're wondering, that's not the best idea.

Highlights were Chvrches and FKA twigs, aquilo, my morning jacket, the better standard of portaloos (barring the rot hole that is jimi hedrix), the people, and the ECO campsite - i'd never came anywhere other then there or pink moon ever again.

Lowlights - the traffic, the searches which made getting to early gigs a mare, a leaking tent, florence and blur, belle and sebastian.

Was I the only one who thought body&soul lost some of its magic?

Guys just wondering, how much would you pay for a garda standard brethalyzer on exit ?

Surprised you've said Belle & Sebastian was a lowlight - I thought they were fantastic! My only issue with them is that I'm more familiar with 'Tigermilk' era stuff and obviously that's not gonna be too high on their agenda anymore. What didn't do it for you?

Also, I dunno if I'd say B&S has 'lost its magic' but people are bound to enjoy it less as the year's go on because the set-up is identical. The first year I was there, the Lucent Dossier Experience performed in it and it had seats set-up like hanging baskets over little ponds. The year after, it became what it is now - and I really like it still, but it hasn't changed at all. Would be no harm to freshen the designs up and maybe add a few new instalations or a different type of act to one of the stages IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Surprised you've said Belle & Sebastian was a lowlight - I thought they were fantastic! My only issue with them is that I'm more familiar with 'Tigermilk' era stuff and obviously that's not gonna be too high on their agenda anymore. What didn't do it for you?

Also, I dunno if I'd say B&S has 'lost its magic' but people are bound to enjoy it less as the year's go on because the set-up is identical. The first year I was there, the Lucent Dossier Experience performed in it and it had seats set-up like hanging baskets over little ponds. The year after, it became what it is now - and I really like it still, but it hasn't changed at all. Would be no harm to freshen the designs up and maybe add a few new instalations or a different type of act to one of the stages IMO.

I found them a bit naff to be honest, hanging over the crowd and pointing put peoples costumes...genuinely reminded me so much of a kooks gig. I thought they started well and really tailed off. I've seen them before and was so excited for them, ended up leaving before the end.

I dunno theres just a feeling I usually get in B&S - zen & love...hippy. I said it to a few random people I met over the weekend and most seemed to think there was something missing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

andreac wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

Sorry trying to get pics from my phone. That's the cracked pepper bar. I'll try get more.
    If you want to pm me your email address I can send on a couple. They are saying they are too big to upload and I'm on my phone.

Are the podpads in the same area as pink moon?
    We've booked a podpad for next year and it'd be nice to have the same facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are the podpads in the same area as pink moon?
    We've booked a podpad for next year and it'd be nice to have the same facilities.

They were this year yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My claim to fame, uploaded by my mate Kevin of me playing the tambourine bodhran with the band GIRO, he was too far away to pick up the sound properly so you can't really hear the drum, but my first brief gig at Electric Picnic, I played on two sets, a set of polkas with a song that you hear here and a set of reels too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You're such a thanks whore :pac:

My EP review finally, it seemed to take an eternity to type but hopefully you will enjoy.

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2015/09/12/electric-picnic-2015-festival-review-ireland-4th-6th-september/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PerryGroves7

My EP review finally, it seemed to take an eternity to type but hopefully you will enjoy.

Cheers, really enjoyed reading about your crew/festival experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Jonotti

Not sure I'd be too happy having my name and working week put in a blog.

Jonotti wrote: »
    Not sure I'd be too happy having my name and working week put in a blog.

How do you mean? I'm talking about my own experience at a festival and have done it this way since 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Jonotti

I know. I'm talking about having a temporary colleague naming me in a blog and talking about our working week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PerryGroves7

I know. I'm talking about having a temporary colleague naming me in a blog and talking about our working week.

I'm sure he has the permission of his colleagues/ friends. Hell...even I know he posts a yearly blog and I've never met him, so I'm sure they do!

Jonotti I've pmed you twice now, I have editing tools in my blog and can remove your name if it annoys you, no problem. I never set out to offend anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Jaysus...lighten up buddy. What's the big deal? On the run from something? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Does anyone know who closed the Salty Dog on Friday night? Clashfinder says "surprise"...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Biggest disappointment of ep15 was that so many burger places were out of cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

budgemook wrote: »
    Does anyone know who closed the Salty Dog on Friday night? Clashfinder says "surprise"...

They were like a rhcp kinda band iirc! I think I was at that one alright and they were pretty good!

I can't believe I didnt mention Despacio which I visited twice, I have now added that late edit to the blog but I'll put it here too.

"Late Edit: I nearly forgot to mention this, I checked out the Despacio tent a few times during the weekend, the first time I took a gander in was on the Friday. It was a nice unusual tent for Electric Picnic, darker inside and very subtly lit, I walked around having a look at the gigantic speaker racks and went up to the window booth to have a wee stare at James Murphy and the lads from 2ManyDJs, I reckon Murphy was staring back at me wondering who this guy was wandering about the dance floor with a circular instrument (My bodhran) hanging from my back. The second time was Sunday evening before I met Kevin after his power nap in the camp site, I whipped out my Nikon camera to take a few minutes clip of the dance floor and speaker cabinets. The music was certainly different from all the other places of entertainment at the festival, both times I was there you could say it was dance music, a bit more downbeat and I seem to get an impression that Murphy and 2ManyDJs are big David Byrne and Talking Heads fans, the music reminded me to an extent of David Byrne's and Brian Eno's album My Life in a Bush of Ghosts at times it came across as a post industrial funk with a slow timely dance beat."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Biggest disappointment of ep15 was that so many burger places were out of cheese

there was plenty of that to be found at the Electric Ireland tent all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Girl Anachronism

So it was my first Ep since 2008 and I'd done a fair bit of creeping on this thread beforehand making me pretty nervous about all the changes! Obviously it's huge now but I was impressed by the low turnout of scumbags. I camped in Chaplin (a little further than I would have liked) but it was a great atmosphere and well worth the walk through Wilde. Agree with all the complaints regarding Security at the Salty Dog entrance, it was heavy-handed and unnecessarily thorough!

I wasn't interested in the corporate stages so I didn't go there, the kiddies didn't get in my way so they didn't bother me either. It still had a lot of the character and buzz I remember from before and I'd be fairly confident saying I'll be back next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

One thing I've always wondered about this and other festivals...

Where do they leave all the props like the salty stage, fences etc during the year. Seem to reuse it all, year upon year. I even doodled on the Oscar wilde fence back in 2014 to check whether they reuse it this year. Alas got too scuttered this year to check in detail

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

guylikeme wrote: »

Where do they leave all the props like the salty stage, fences etc during the year. Seem to reuse it all, year upon year. I even doodled on the Oscar wilde fence back in 2014 to check whether they reuse it this year. Alas got too scuttered this year to check in detail

A lot of the lightweight mesh fencing way new this year. The perimeter fencing is well used at this stage - most of that stuff is hired.

guylikeme wrote: »

I think areas like the Salty Dog, Body & Soul main stage and Earthship stage remain intact in the same areas throughout the year, I have heard of wedding receptions booking the Body & Soul area at other times of the year. I reckon there must be a warehouse in Dublin somewhere though that would store the main stage area and all the marquees till about a month or two before the next edition kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I think areas like the Salty Dog, Body & Soul main stage and Earthship stage remain intact in the same areas throughout the year, I have heard of wedding receptions booking the Body & Soul area at other times of the year. I reckon there must be a warehouse in Dublin somewhere though that would store the main stage area and all the marquees till about a month or two before the next edition kicks off.

Pretty sure i have seen construction photos of body and soul main stage. Thats a lot of wood to be left out all year round

Salty dog was put in and then it turned out it was too bad a shape to remove it so it became permanent. Earthship if you look a google maps aint there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

lbj666 wrote: »
    Pretty sure i have seen construction photos of body and soul main stage. Thats a lot of wood to be left out all year round

Salty dog was put in and then it turned out it was too bad a shape to remove it so it became permanent. Earthship if you look a google maps aint there.

Someone once told me the salty dog was being transported through the forest to I guess somewhere in the main arena, but became dislodged from its trailer at its current location and was structurally weak too continue.
    Any truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Someone once told me the salty dog was being transported through the forest to I guess somewhere in the main arena, but became dislodged from its trailer at its current location and was structurally weak too continue.
    Any truth in this?

Structurally too unsound to be shipped across the site but sound enough to hold tonnes worth of equipment and safe enough to hold musicians?

:rolleyes:

Structurally too unsound to be shipped across the site but sound enough to hold tonnes worth of equipment and safe enough to hold musicians?

:rolleyes:

Just because you plonk tonnes of gear on it doesn't mean you can safely lift the thing onto a truck and bring it somewhere.

Just because you plonk tonnes of gear on it doesn't mean you can safely lift the thing onto a truck and bring it somewhere.

So just to be clear....it was a sound enough structure to transport across the site, it fell from a trailer and became too unsound to move but sound enough to plonk tonnes of equipment on.

Was the trailer attached to a chinook maybe?

So just to be clear....it was a sound enough structure to transport across the site, it fell from a trailer and became too unsound to move but sound enough to plonk tonnes of equipment on.

Was the trailer attached to a chinook maybe?

Ive have no idea what happened to it ,
    But there are a huge variances between a structure being sound enough to be lifted and transported around and being structural sound enough to just lie there and a have load ontop of it.

• Advertisement

Ive have no idea what happened to it ,
    But there are a huge variances between a structure being sound enough to be lifted and transported around and being structural sound enough to just lie there and a have load ontop of it.

I would agree with you if it were in a crumpled heap or if it fell from a height. If it did fall off a trailer it would have fallen, what, 6 feet?

Advertisement