Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Fun & games this morning - both Mommy & daughter in good shape this afternoon.
    She is a 4th calf Shornhorn out of Fresian cow. Lots of milk. Usually calves unassisted but not this year. Bull is stock bull out of pirate bloodline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If he has to cart the calf about now, what hope will the calf have when it gets bigger to get around?

I dunno, maybe the calf will come good, but it seems a savage disability for an animal to have...

You'd wonder if the kindest thing would have been to do a job on the calf when twas born...

But, sometimes animals surprise you, and it's very easy to talk when it's not you have to make that kinda decision too...

Had a weanling bullock that got blackleg but caught him early enough. He kept growing but the leg didn't. He still came into something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Had a weanling bullock that got blackleg but caught him early enough. He kept growing but the leg didn't. He still came into something

Are you sure it was blackleg? Usually that's a four legs in the air situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Getting tight in the pen of replacements! May have to move the gate down a space.
    qnrp7OUh.jpg

Nice. Are they all in calf?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Nice. Are they all in calf?

Yep, left to right will be calving at 24months, 22 months, 23 months, & 26months. THZ, EBY, EBY and eh....SA2189. Guess who got to the AI man first that day :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Yep, left to right will be calving at 24months, 22 months, 23 months, & 26months. THZ, EBY, EBY and eh....SA2189. Guess who got to the AI man first that day :D:pac:
    Ulsan is meant to be breeding good calves though. AI man recommended him and I have put him on two heifers so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

She won't be laughing when that heifer has a bull calf and her father is saying "i told ya them bloody Salers were no use":D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Zgh bull calf born last night

Attachment not found.[/ATTACH]Hopefully he be as good as last year's one by gamin

• Advertisement

Sweet mother of God, tis a wonder he left her with an elder!

What age was the Gamin calf when that pic was taken?

tanko wrote: »
    What age was the Gamin calf when that pic was taken?

That was a week before he was sold,in late October, he was a 8 1/2 months and weighed 460 kg, only problem was I had only one like him

Have you used Gamin much, he looks like a super bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is Is that the Limousin Gamin, zgm?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Used him on a good few dairy cows, sold most calves at four weeks , they showed nice muscle so sold well, shortish gestation compared to other lims. Only other suckler in calf to him had only an average calf but I'd put more blame on the cow than bull there. Have one heifer off him from a fr , will prob keep her

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

A very average charolais (Carrickbrack96 Hutch CKH) bull calf from a decent black limousin cow. 3 days old.
    Head on, he doesn't look too bad!
    Actually had the vet as had a bit of trouble getting him out. The cow was a bit fat but he has biggish legs/head. Once these were out he flew out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Seaba wrote: »
    A very average charolais (Carrickbrack96 Hutch CKH) bull calf from a decent black limousin cow. 3 days old.
    Head on, he doesn't look too bad!
    Actually had the vet as had a bit of trouble getting him out. The cow was a bit fat but he has biggish legs/heads. Once these were out he flew out!

Early days to be judging him yet. Have often seen a lanky calf when born to turn into one of the best weanlings here and be disappointed with the big lump you had all the trouble with that you would have expected to be a smasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Last year bought an young Limousine bull for elder limo bull's daughters and a couple cows. 4 calves already on the ground. Two bulls out of heifers and two heifers out of cows. As always heifers have bigger calves than cows. Both bull calves 47kgs weight and 292-293days gestation, heifers 40-42kgs and 283-284days gestation. One bull calf was very tall but not very wide at birth however another was way shorter but had nice shoulders and hips. Both heifers slim, especially the lighter one, which is ~81-82cm tall at one day age.
    Girls:
    17195231_1892547744349567_1168037804_o_zpsdaku5vcm.jpg
    17176062_1892548324349509_110241344_o_zpsdrf5ukfr.jpg
    Boys:
    DSCF3004_zpslvdf5hb2.jpg
    DSCF3022_zpssmnenru9.jpg
    DSCF3040_zps23w598xe.jpg
    Have 14 more heifers incalf to him. Would like that they all would have calves similar to cows and shorter gestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We decided to convert the disused slatted shed into a calf rearing shed. Ten pens with nine calves in each with lay back on the old cubicle stands. We loaded up bales of straw and hay in the feed passage cause we blocked up both ends (with bales) to prevent draughts and didn't want to be constantly moving them to bring in fodder. My brother plumbed up drinkers along the feed passage and we placed a pallet on the slats so the calves could reach the drinkers iykwim. During the year we will remove the feed barriers and put in proper gates/dividing swinging gates if the shed works out this year.
    As calves get stronger and adjusted to OAD they will be moved to another shed with direct access to the disused winter pad and an adjacent sheltered garden/paddock. So far its working well but I made the mistake of putting in too many bales of straw and didn't leave enough space in the feed passage to work. The pics aren't great but you get the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    We decided to convert the disused slatted shed into a calf rearing shed. Ten pens with nine calves in each with lay back on the old cubicle stands. We loaded up bales of straw and hay in the feed passage cause we blocked up both ends (with bales) to prevent draughts and didn't want to be constantly moving them to bring in fodder. My brother plumbed up drinkers along the feed passage and we placed a pallet on the slats so the calves could reach the drinkers iykwim. During the year we will remove the feed barriers and put in proper gates/dividing swinging gates if the shed works out this year.
    As calves get stronger and adjusted to OAD they will be moved to another shed with direct access to the disused winter pad and an adjacent sheltered garden/paddock. So far its working well but I made the mistake of putting in too many bales of straw and didn't leave enough space in the feed passage to work. The pics aren't great but you get the idea.

Next time I'm down your direction I must call in for tae ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie. wrote: »
    Next time I'm down your direction I must call in for tae ;)
    Your more than welcome but we will be flat out for the next month/5 weeks. Don't forget to bring that seed/drill thingie on the back of your shiny new Landani as well :D

Base price wrote: »
    Your more than welcome but we will be flat out for the next month/5 weeks. Don't forget to bring that seed/drill thingie on the back of your shiny new Landani as well :D

Always with the conditions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mad feckers!

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Mad feckers!

The quad driver must have no fear anyhow , I wouldnt fancy driving that fast through that terrain on a quad

Bullocks wrote: »
    The quad driver must have no fear anyhow , I wouldnt fancy driving that fast through that terrain on a quad

Jaysus I'd do that all day long. Reminds me of chad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

It would be a good place for lakill to try out the post driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Lovely afternoon feeding! They happy out

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/sonnybill87/library/

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭sonnybill

sonnybill wrote: »
    Lovely afternoon feeding! They happy out

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/sonnybill87/library/

Anyone know is it html or email ImG that I should use from
    Photo bucket to show a pic?

• Advertisement

sonnybill wrote: »
    Anyone know is it html or email ImG that I should use from
    Photo bucket to show a pic?

Use 'Direct', the one ending in .jpeg. Then add the image tags around it img]hNzV14rh.jpg

image_zpsnsinjchm.jpeg

Advertisement