Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Eircom Mail through Gmail

• 05-10-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I cannot find it here or online. I have got a new @eircom.net email address and I want to use it through my existing gmail.com email setup. I want it to pull in all new emails from my eircom.net email address automatically to my @gmail.com but it doesn't seem to be working properly. I think is because there are two different types of eircom mail, a new one and an old one- I'm on the new one. But I was wondering is it possible to be logged into gmail and have all outgoing mail show as my @eircom.net instead of @gmail.com? I tried loads of different ways but it keeps telling me that the eircom server is taking too long to respond when I try and verify the settings to proceed. Can someone help me out- I refuse to ask eircom because even if it is possible eircom themselves will fob me off and say its not possible and I have searched online and all I find is the old eircom mail settings that wont work with my account. I'm using Vodafone broadband but I dont think that makes any difference because I'm logging in through www.gmail.com

Sorry for the longwindedness.
    James

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Totally possible to do.

If the address is new you can use IMAP or POP3, old accounts may only have POP access.

First login to webmail and ensure external mail collection is enabled, should be by default but just check to be sure.

Then to setup gmail you'll want:
    webmail.eircom.net incoming
    Gmails outgoing server

You'll also want to Turn SSL off and for sending you want SPA off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

ED E wrote: »
    Totally possible to do.

If the address is new you can use IMAP or POP3, old accounts may only have POP access.

First login to webmail and ensure external mail collection is enabled, should be by default but just check to be sure.

Then to setup gmail you'll want:
    webmail.eircom.net incoming
    Gmails outgoing server

You'll also want to Turn SSL off and for sending you want SPA off.

Ed Thank you so much, no matter what I put into this page its rejecting it. I've tried smtp.google.com and smtp.gmail.com and I keep getting errors like

We're having trouble authenticating with your other mail service. Please try a different port or connection option. If you continue to experience difficulties, please contact your other email provider for further instructions.

Heres a screengrab if its any help. My brand new laptop is going to be flung off the wall :( Am I gonna have to ring eircon and see what I'm doing wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

D'oh, checked a relatives account that I configured before, you wont be able to push SMTP via Gmail, gotta go via eircoms and settings are as follows.

1PJNxe2.png
    RCcVex8.png

Confirmed they work just there, so if you replicate it should work just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks, I'm trying to set my eircom.net email address up on my Gmail account, so that I can send and receive and basically manage my entire eircom account, through my Gmail account.

I have done this for other accounts and it works quite well, but trying to "send as" my eircom address is giving me trouble when setting it up in Gmail.
    Add another email address that you own
    Send emails through your SMTP server
    Configure your emails to be sent through eircom.net SMTP servers Learn more

When I get to that screen, I've tried mail1.eircom.net, mail2.eircom.net and smtp.eircom.net and every other combination with my username and password I can think of but I keep getting authentication failure:
    Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
    Server returned an error: "Unspecified Error (SENT_SECOND_EHLO): Smtp server does not advertise AUTH capability code(0) "

I recall there being issues before that eircom users couldn't send mail unless they were connected to an eircom broadband connection and thinking it was very backward and I'm fearing this may be reason for my issue here.

If anyone has any solutions, please share!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I did it this way (was a few years back though and I've never changed it - may not still work).

I receive email directly from Eircom but send Eircom email though Gmail. Effectively I can send Eircom email from any ISP anywhere.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057158909&page=1#post89253958

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot, but I don't think that achieves the same result. I don't think you're effectively sending FROM your eircom address, but just having the reply to addressas your eircom address, so any recipient getting your mail will see your gmail address as the sender, and a reply to address as the eircom one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot, but I don't think that achieves the same result. I don't think you're effectively sending FROM your eircom address, but just having the reply to addressas your eircom address, so any recipient getting your mail will see your gmail address as the sender, and a reply to address as the eircom one?

I get a sent copy both in Eircom and Gmail.Most people see my email as coming from X@Eircom.net. Some using Outlook see it as X@Gmail but sent on behalf of X@Eircom.net.

Yeah, I want to get it so it appears only as @eircom.net, this is possible with other accounts I set up, but I fear the eircom smtp may not allow it :( I want gmail to completely manage my eircom account, so to fetch all mails from the eircom pop server and delete them once fetched and then I can read and reply within gmail.

Advertisement