Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone & Broadband Packages

• 03-11-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi there,
    This is just going to be a quick post so please if you can give any advice.
    Currently with Eircom and phone and internet is €55 a month, this gives me 45-50mb download and all local calls. I can't really afford this any more so rang them today and the package below is for off peak calls and internet capped at 30gb a month and the price is 48 euro so having unlimited for 55 seems a better deal but cannot afford it. There is a bill outstanding at the moment and they have cut me off but I will still have to pay for this month even though no service plus the outstanding bill. If I fail to pay this there is a termination fee of 250 euro which is ridiculous - unless I set up a new account to which that would waver the 250 cancelation fee.

If I decide to cut the internet and just have the home phone the cheapest option is 30 euro which obviously includes line rental but I would much prefer if there is a cheaper option.

I have looked online and Imagine has come in at 19 Euro a month with internet and phone but I have heard some bad reviews so really I don't know if anyone out there provides a good broadband and phone for about 30 euro which would be manageable - please your views and advice....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Hi there,
    This is just going to be a quick post so please if you can give any advice.
    Currently with Eircom and phone and internet is €55 a month, this gives me 45-50mb download and all local calls. I can't really afford this any more so rang them today and the package below is for off peak calls and internet capped at 30gb a month and the price is 48 euro so having unlimited for 55 seems a better deal but cannot afford it. There is a bill outstanding at the moment and they have cut me off but I will still have to pay for this month even though no service plus the outstanding bill. If I fail to pay this there is a termination fee of 250 euro which is ridiculous - unless I set up a new account to which that would waver the 250 cancelation fee.

If I decide to cut the internet and just have the home phone the cheapest option is 30 euro which obviously includes line rental but I would much prefer if there is a cheaper option.

I have looked online and Imagine has come in at 19 Euro a month with internet and phone but I have heard some bad reviews so really I don't know if anyone out there provides a good broadband and phone for about 30 euro which would be manageable - please your views and advice....

Upc have some good deals on atm. You can get sky bb for €30 for 6 months and €40 thereafter and it's unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IrishPsychic

Awww thanks - I was with up before for TV but cancelled - really bad to deal with so would not go back to them. Had a look at Sky but its very limited with the download allowance.

Awww thanks - I was with up before for TV but cancelled - really bad to deal with so would not go back to them. Had a look at Sky but its very limited with the download allowance.

There's no download cap with sky. It's unlimited.

How much is the deal with sky for internet and phone and are you with them yourself?

How much is the deal with sky for internet and phone and are you with them yourself?

I'm with upc. But the family have it. They paid €30 for six months and then €40 after. The bb is unlimited so they can download as much as they want. Have a look on their site.

• Advertisement

Will do and thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sky won't deal with you for bb/phone if you break eircom contract and owe them money.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sky won't deal with you for bb/phone if you break eircom contract and owe them money.

If you are in a contract and move to a different provider what happens is you pay the etcs to eircom and you pay your other provider as normal. Any other provider will take your business. But it wouldn't make sense to be paying twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

OP has a vdsl line, Sky cant take that over and I doubt Eircom will downgrade it to adsl with money outstanding
    Duffff-Man wrote: »
    If you are in a contract and move to a different provider what happens is you pay the etcs to eircom and you pay your other provider as normal. Any other provider will take your business. But it wouldn't make sense to be paying twice.

The OP's line is restricted at the moment. Nobody can take over that line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You got into a contract, the cheapest way out it to keep paying it up until the end at 12 or 18 months then port providers. Vodafone are a few euro cheaper a month, that'd be your best bet, but if you're that screwed at the moment then you likely cant afford broaband at all. Go for midband and dont watch too many videos.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for replying - I rang Eircom and my contact ends in Dec which is brilliant but I bought a Tesco broadband dongle. I have them already with my mobile phone and they are probably the best with regarding what they offer - I tested tethering using my phone and I was getting 10mb and 3mb upload which coming from a phone tethering is pretty good. The mi fi dongle I bought also cost 24.99 and for 15gb it is 15 euro so 30gb would be 30 euro. I will agree Eircom speed is fantastic it is 89mb and 20mb upload which has been pretty constant - It is just a pity they don't offer cheaper broadband packages. The lower broadband package is 30gb capped and is 48 euro with off peak calls. There is companies like goldfish and blue face for telephone but again you need Internet for this voip service so looking into all options. The good news is that I can end the contact with Eircom next month which I was un aware of as I thought I had another 5 or 6 months left as was fearing it was an 18 month contract. I will just do my best and put aside 10 euro a week and at least that will help knowing its put away for the end of the month - I really just was hoping someone would post with CHANGE TO X they offer broadband for 25 Euro and are amazing - but again thats why Eircom can charge so high at the moment as there really is no competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I think vodafones simply broadband is €35 per month for 300gb. That might be worth looking at over a dongle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They arent aactually that expensive comparitively, there is a lot of costs involved in maintaining a national phone network. Glad you got sorted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you are sort of money, then I think your best bet is to forget about TV and phone and just focus on Broadband. The two best deals for you are:

- Vodafone with 300GB cap for €35 (same speed as Eircom as they are just reselling Eircom)
    - UPC 60mb/s, no cap, free off peak calls for €37

I doubt phone service is a priority for most people. With internet, you can always use free VoIP services like Skype, Google Hangouts, etc. You can even call landlines and phones from Skype, though it would cost you.

Another option is to use your mobile exclusively for calls. TescoMobile do unlimited texts, calls (both landlines and mobiles) and 1GB data for €15 per month (plus cheaper with Tesco clubcard points). A great deal IMO

So where you are currently paying €48 to Eircom for only a 30GB cap and landline calls only (and I'm sure you have a separate mobile bill), for €50 you could be getting:

- Vodafone same speed as Eircom but with a 300GB cap
    + TescoMobile unlimited calls (including mobiles!), texts and 1GB data.

I'm sure that would give you a better experience then you currently have, while probably saving at least €20 per month on your mobile bills.

BTW Do you know that if you previously had a Sky satellite box, you can continue to use it to receive the Free To Air channels, including most of the big UK channels (BBC, ITV, C4, etc.) and that with a saorview box (or compatible TV) you get the Irish channels, all at zero ongoing cost. To be honest I think pay TV is a total waste of money.

bk wrote: »
    If you are sort of money, then I think your best bet is to forget about TV and phone and just focus on Broadband. The two best deals for you are:

- Vodafone with 300GB cap for €35 (same speed as Eircom as they are just reselling Eircom)
    - UPC 60mb/s, no cap, free off peak calls for €37

I doubt phone service is a priority for most people. With internet, you can always use free VoIP services like Skype, Google Hangouts, etc. You can even call landlines and phones from Skype, though it would cost you.

Another option is to use your mobile exclusively for calls. TescoMobile do unlimited texts, calls (both landlines and mobiles) and 1GB data for €15 per month (plus cheaper with Tesco clubcard points). A great deal IMO

So where you are currently paying €48 to Eircom for only a 30GB cap and landline calls only (and I'm sure you have a separate mobile bill), for €50 you could be getting:

- Vodafone same speed as Eircom but with a 300GB cap
    + TescoMobile unlimited calls (including mobiles!), texts and 1GB data.

I'm sure that would give you a better experience then you currently have, while probably saving at least €20 per month on your mobile bills.

BTW Do you know that if you previously had a Sky satellite box, you can continue to use it to receive the Free To Air channels, including most of the big UK channels (BBC, ITV, C4, etc.) and that with a saorview box (or compatible TV) you get the Irish channels, all at zero ongoing cost. To be honest I think pay TV is a total waste of money.

Thank you BK - Great minds think alike - I am with Tesco mobile as it is I have two phones with them - I am on the Tripple credit promotion for life which is brilliant. I was actually thinking of just doing what you said - get a cheap phone and per month top it up by 15 euro a month and then use that for all calls which to be honest that is such good value.

I have not posted in ages on boards and so glad I did now as you get knowledgeable answers from people like you and the others who posted who know there stuff - really appreciate it once again.

Thanks a million.

Advertisement