Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural broadbrand problems!

Options
  • 14-01-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I live in the middle of nowhere in Meath and for as long as I can remember I have been unable to get broadband. It is due to the fact that when Eircom installed the phone line they split it between 4 houses. Leaving the 4 houses with a faulty phone line not even fit for a house phone let alone internet. I have been through this many times with eircom and they have promised many times the line would be upgraded soon(not efibre but an upgrade none the less).It is not 4 years later and still no internet.
    Does anyone have any solutions I am now desperate for anything. Unfortunately i have tried satellite broadband and it just isnt a viable option due to the number of trees in my area and the crazy usage allowances.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What you're describing is a carrier line. No DSL until the put 4 individual lines in place. Even if they do, if you're over 5KM from the exchange you might not get it anyways.

If FWA (What you're calling satellite) doesnt work due to line of sight the only option left really would be 3G or 4G. But they still have caps from 20-60GB per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You didn't mention it, but Fixed Wireless might be an option.

You can quickly find out if you might be covered by checking this Map, dropping the marker on your house and ticking the wireless ISPs option.

You may find you are covered by many, but this map is only an "indication". Due to the layout of the land in your area they may not in fact cover you. What you should do is contact any that seem to cover you from the map and they will do a survey (usually for free).

Good luck!

Advertisement