Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah but it's artificially constructed nonsense to fill the gap until there are games again.

On a related note: Zebo, fat or big boned?

Just three weeks to go thankfully!

Zebo, fat or big boned?
    bilston wrote: »
    Just three weeks to go thankfully!

He's PREGNANT????

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

At a wedding in Dunboune Castle and the entire Ireland team are staying here. Half the wedding party know nothing about rugby and are half cut. It's been a pretty amusing half hour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Sexton and Murray are our first choice players, no doubt, but it's not as if we don't have any other players that can play those positions.
    The backup may not be as good, but it wouldn't be as catastrophic as some people are posting here.
    They are all good professional players with plenty of talent to do a job for Ireland in the World Cup if they get the opportunity.
    The reason I think 13 is a position of more concern is that Payne is the Ulster first choice 13, and the other Provinces have NIQ players in those positions, so not only would there be a lack of internationally capped 13s there is also a lack of 13s that play regularly for the provinces. Moving Henshaw to 13 and bringing in a new 12 would involve changing 2 positions to accommodate one injury, and especially risky if it results in an unproven/unfamiliar combination.
    That's why I think Cave has to get into the 31, and should get plenty of game time in the warm-ups at 12 and 13.

Henshaw primarily plays 13 for Connacht, only played at 12 about 3 times there for us last year and that due to injuries toeither Bundee, Ronaldson or McSharry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Henshaw primarily plays 13 for Connacht, only played at 12 about 3 times there for us last year and that due to injuries toeither Bundee, Ronaldson or McSharry

That still requires two changes if Payne gets injured. In terms of keeping the shape of the backline the same it would be preferable to leave Henshaw and replace 13 with Cave I'd suggest.
    Also if Henshaw is the preferred 12, he'll probably be spending his time getting into the mind-frame of a 12 over the next couple of months in training, and will be practicing his positioning and moves as a 12, so it would be harder to then switch to 13.
    It would be easier to have the sub cover the 2 centre positions so there would be maximum continuity despite an injury.
    If Henshaw were to be selected to play a full match at 13 in a warm-up game then that would strengthen that option to switch him to 13. I hope that is at least tested out pre-RWC.
    If that isn't tried out before we play France then it could backfire.
    On the other hand if it worked out well then the sub would only have to cover 12 which might factor into the team and squad selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Payne goes down I'd imagine we'll see Earls take his place at 13, I'd be surprised if it was anyone else.

If Payne goes down I'd imagine we'll see Earls take his place at 13, I'd be surprised if it was anyone else.

Isn't Earls solely a winger now and not playing in the centre anymore?
    I think he could be useful as a winger but I think he is a bit weak phyisically for an outside centre at International level, and I'd be concerned that he wouldn't be secure enough defensively.
    I would choose Cave, McFadden, Trimble, Zebo, Fitzgerald before Earls at OC. Also Henshaw or Bowe would be ahead if they switched from their normal positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Isn't Earls solely a winger now and not playing in the centre anymore?
    I think he could be useful as a winger but I think he is a bit weak phyisically for an outside centre at International level, and I'd be concerned that he wouldn't be secure enough defensively.
    I would choose Cave, McFadden, Trimble, Zebo, Fitzgerald before Earls at OC. Also Henshaw or Bowe would be ahead if they switched from their normal positions.

Played in the centre a bit last season, I'd definitely have him ahead of McFadden, Trimble and Zebo. I mean Zebo's never even played 13 and I don't think he'd be up to it defensively, I never liked McFadden playing there and Trimble hasn't played there for years.

Earls at least has played there at international and HC level to a pretty good standard. I would prefer Fitz over him there, I've always liked Fitz at 13, but it would seem that Joe sees Earls as a centre and Fitz as a winger, judging from the Wolfhounds game last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Also, I think it's kinda funny suggesting earls isn't physical enough for OC and then suggest Zebo should be ahead of him there. :D

I actually think if Payne did get injured before the wc we'd see henshaw play at 13. Who plays 12 would be an interesting question, but I honestly wouldn't put it past JS to pick Darce there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

How do you feel about Reid making the WC panel, talking of options at 12? I'd have him there ahead of D'Arcy myself, think he offers a lot more at this stage.

How do you feel about Reid making the WC panel, talking of options at 12? I'd have him there ahead of D'Arcy myself, think he offers a lot more at this stage.

I'm a fan, but I'd hate to see him cut his teeth properly at the WC and for it to backfire. Could ruin his confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Fireball07 wrote: »
    ....it would seem that Joe sees Earls as a centre and Fitz as a winger, judging from the Wolfhounds game last year.

This. I totally agree with IBF and Fireball here. Earls is most likely the back up 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Earls may be the back up during the tournament, but I'd imagine if either Henshaw or Payne don't travel it will be D'Arcy who comes in to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Would big Stu not be considered ahead of Reid for 12 if there was an injury crisis in that area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Would big Stu not be considered ahead of Reid for 12 if there was an injury crisis in that area?

Very unlikely. Why would Reid be in the 45-man squad if not as a 12?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Very unlikely. Why would Reid be in the 45-man squad if not as a 12?

Don't really see why, but maybe i need to take off my Ulster-Coloured glasses first :cool:

Maybe Reid can cover more than just 12. McCloskey would be seen as a 12 only....

Don't really see why, but maybe i need to take off my Ulster-Coloured glasses first :cool:

Maybe Reid can cover more than just 12. McCloskey would be seen as a 12 only....

Same as Reid. He's played at 10 and at 13 but he's now exclusively a 12.

Reid does seem to be ahead in the pecking order though, he has an Irish cap and has been involved with the Irish setup before. I think he has a bit more senior experience which would stand to him, but in the long I reckon McCloskey will be a future Irish regular.

Reid can notionally cover 10 and 15 but if that came to pass in a World Cup, we'd be rightly screwed.

Pecking order at 12 is (IMO):
    Henshaw
    D'Arcy
    Cave
    Reid
    Madigan
    McFadden

Fitzgerald might even be in the mix in case of an injury crisis, but it just wouldn't be Joe's style to drop a new guy into the squad who's never been involved up to now.

Reid can notionally cover 10 and 15 but if that came to pass in a World Cup, we'd be rightly screwed.

Pecking order at 12 is (IMO):
    Henshaw
    D'Arcy
    Cave
    Reid
    Madigan
    McFadden

Fitzgerald might even be in the mix in case of an injury crisis, but it just wouldn't be Joe's style to drop a new guy into the squad who's never been involved up to now.

I'd say Madigan is 3rd on that list. Schmidt likes him and will involve him where possible - I wouldn't have him there though. In fairness he's had a good cameo or two in green at 12.

I mean Zebo's never even played 13 and I don't think he'd be up to it defensively,
    .ak wrote: »
    Also, I think it's kinda funny suggesting earls isn't physical enough for OC and then suggest Zebo should be ahead of him there. :D

He has played 13 but not at Senior level for Ireland. From what I saw of him playing for Ireland underage he was a world class 13, stand-out player.
    I'd like to see him play there regularly for Munster but he seems to be installed as the 1st choice wing there instead.
    I don't know if that is Zebo's preference, maybe he prefers wing himself.
    That he's defensively weak is a myth. After playing most of the 6 Nations without any defensive issues that I can recall, I thought this would have been put to bed at this stage.
    Physically compared to Earls he's much stronger, he's 6'2 and 15 stone, earls is smaller and lighter, and I'd rather Zebo tackle the likes of Bastareaud or Jamie Roberts than Earls any day.

• Advertisement

Zebo may be heavier, but I have a very tough time imagining he's stronger than Earls. Zebo will run around you, but I've seen Earls run through people.

I actually think if Payne did get injured before the wc we'd see henshaw play at 13. Who plays 12 would be an interesting question, but I honestly wouldn't put it past JS to pick Darce there.

I have been thinking that more and more lately, the experience D'Arcy would bring would steady the team if he had to come on in an injury crisis, also he can cover the outside centre if required.

I think Reid is there in competition with Madigan as the cover for out-half and inside centre, or at least for Joe just to have a look at him in training and for Reid to be around the squad for practice to replace Madigan if he got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Zebo may be heavier, but I have a very tough time imagining he's stronger than Earls. Zebo will run around you, but I've seen Earls run through people.

Gotta agree with ak here. Earls is a much more powerful player than Zebo. I wouldn't have Earls at 13 because of his decision making but if you're just looking at physical attributes he's way ahead of Zebo. It's a bit of a moot point anyway - does anyone in their right mind see Zebo playing 13 for Ireland?

Clearlier wrote: »
    Gotta agree with ak here. Earls is a much more powerful player than Zebo. I wouldn't have Earls at 13 because of his decision making but if you're just looking at physical attributes he's way ahead of Zebo. It's a bit of a moot point anyway - does anyone in their right mind see Zebo playing 13 for Ireland?

We won't see it happening, but it reflects where I'd rank Earls as an outside centre in the Irish setup.
    I don't think either of them will be picked there.
    If Payne wasn't a success at 13 already, I'd try Zebo there just to see what he could do.
    Of course that won't happen between now and the RWC.

McCloskey isn't in the squad though so not at the minute.

The best thing for McCloskey is to get himself nailed down in the Ulster team durng the WC when Payne is away and then give Les Kiss a decision to make come November when he has Cave, Payne and McCloskey (and others) to choose from. If he does that then he shouldn't be far from the Ireland squad in 2016.

Played in the centre a bit last season, I'd definitely have him ahead of McFadden, Trimble and Zebo. I mean Zebo's never even played 13 and I don't think he'd be up to it defensively, I never liked McFadden playing there and Trimble hasn't played there for years.

Earls at least has played there at international and HC level to a pretty good standard. I would prefer Fitz over him there, I've always liked Fitz at 13, but it would seem that Joe sees Earls as a centre and Fitz as a winger, judging from the Wolfhounds game last year.

Not sure I agree with the logic here. I think Fitz to the wing was because ideally that's where Joe want's to play him in a full strength squad. I think had we seen Earls to wing for that game it would have been him taking over from Zebo against Scotland as opposed to Luke but I don't think it was any comment on centre pecking order.

With the game time Fitz got at 13 for Leinster last season and how well he performed there, I'd say he will keep him at wing as long as he has options, but I think he'd move to 13 before Earls would. Personally I didn't think Earls ever showed anything at centre internationally like he does at wing.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    McCloskey isn't in the squad though so not at the minute.

The best thing for McCloskey is to get himself nailed down in the Ulster team durng the WC when Payne is away and then give Les Kiss a decision to make come November when he has Cave, Payne and McCloskey (and others) to choose from. If he does that then he shouldn't be far from the Ireland squad in 2016.

Agree, would prefer to see McCloskey stay with Ulster. Too soon for him and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

And add in Olding - he back in December is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

if it was between Fitzgerald and Earls I'd side with Fitzgerald, he has a bit more bulk to him as a centre, and what I've seen of Earls play centre with the ball in possesion if he does'nt go to ground quick then he seems to be easily held up and then a potential turnover

wp_rathead wrote: »
    And add in Olding - he back in December is it?

Aye sometime around then, maybe more likely the new year.

I think when he returns he will need to be carefully managed as another knee injury will surely be the end for him. He also has the ability to play FB and OH so there will be options there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Not sure I agree with the logic here. I think Fitz to the wing was because ideally that's where Joe want's to play him in a full strength squad. I think had we seen Earls to wing for that game it would have been him taking over from Zebo against Scotland as opposed to Luke but I don't think it was any comment on centre pecking order.

With the game time Fitz got at 13 for Leinster last season and how well he performed there, I'd say he will keep him at wing as long as he has options, but I think he'd move to 13 before Earls would. Personally I didn't think Earls ever showed anything at centre internationally like he does at wing.

The logic to Fitz on the left wing is because he is a left footer - a like for like replacement for Zebo.
    Ireland coach Joe Schmidt has revealed that Luke Fitzgerald's left foot is a key component of his selection on the left wing in the XV to face Scotland on Saturday.
    Fitzgerald replaces Simon Zebo at No 11 and Schmidt was full of praise for the Leinster winger's ability to force his way back into the Ireland team.
    "It's [his left foot] just keeping that balance," said Schmidt. "He's a natural left footer so coming in on the left wing it maintains that left-footed kicking option that we have and the ability to play down that left-hand touch a little bit.
    "It's been a long road back for Luke after a number of injuries, but he has a positivity that makes it difficult to keep Luke down for long periods.
    "He's played a lot of rugby on the wing and in my experience of working with Luke he's played almost entirely on the wing. Except last season when he did have half a dozen starts or more in the midfield."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think Fitz should have been starting in the centre this season ahead of Payne, given his form there for Leinster, and if Payne goes down he should be right in there.

I think Fitz should have been starting in the centre this season ahead of Payne, given his form there for Leinster, and if Payne goes down he should be right in there.

Ah I don't think Luke played enough games at 13 this season to demand inclusion, but I'd agree he's the most likely back up to Payne (after Henshaw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Zebo at 13 for Ireland! :D:D:D

That's the best laugh I've had in a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebo actually played 13 in his Cork Con days. Never for Munster though.

Zzippy wrote: »

It was a strange one

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Zzippy wrote: »

I heard given that he's powerful for his size they might put him in to replace POC later after the WC :)

Zebo actually played 13 in his Cork Con days. Never for Munster though.

This isn't like how he was supposed to have played 15 for Con, only for that to turn out not to be true at all?

This isn't like how he was supposed to have played 15 for Con, only for that to turn out not to be true at all?

No I definitely remember him playing for Con at 13.

Here's one game anyway! :D
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/ail/2010/0508/264841-corkcon_stmarys/

• Advertisement

No I definitely remember him playing for Con at 13.

Here's one game anyway! :D
    /

Just checking, ye cute hoors are not to be trusted.

Great that an AIL game could feature two future Lions #fanning2017

No need to fear if Sexton gets hurt, we have a ligind to kick the goals: https://twitter.com/mikem7373/status/623572861924605952?s=09

No need to fear if Sexton gets hurt, we have a ligind to kick the goals: https://twitter.com/mikem7373/status/623572861924605952?s=09

Jaysus Stringer's put on a lot of weight since the wedding.

Jaysus Stringer's put on a lot of weight since the wedding.

Get out.

Ummm, just going to leave this here

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What. The. Fcuk.

Bound to get some amount of slagging for that in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Well seeing that clueless article also named JDV in the XV means he has about as much of a clue as anyone else on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That's a very, very long time. I mean it's great but wow- that is a huge length. Think he's expected to be announced as the Lions coach too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement