Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom F1000 eFibre Modem WIFI Range

Options
  • 23-03-2015 2:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

Has anyone had experience of this modem which is an Eircom badged version of the Zyzel F1000?
    I'm constantly being phoned by Eircom, who are trying to get me to upgrade to fibre broadband. I got a modem upgrade from them last year (can't remember why, probably due to an issue with connectivity) . The new modem had woeful WIFI range, barely worked in an adjacent room and wouldn't work downstairs (walls are solid concrete). My existing 8 year old modem had no problem with range, and I could connect to it in my workshop at the end of the garden nearly 100 feet away. So I went back to using this.
    I reckon if isn't broken, don't fix it, so I'm reluctant to upgrade to eFibre if the modems don't perform.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

You would be mad not to get eFibre if you are stuck on ADSL. You can always bridge the F1000 and use your old modem for WIFI if you are not happy with the WIFI performance of the F1000. Search in this forum and you will instructions on bridging.

By the way F1000 is the eircom rebadged name for the ZyXel VMG8324-B10A modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Eircom have a new modem for fibre now the F2000 its a Huawei HG659b dual band wireless ac. its range is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Eircom have a new modem for fibre now the F2000 its a Huawei HG659b dual band wireless ac. its range is far better.

Really, how are speeds ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Eugbug

It seems madness having to go to the trouble of bridging. I know its like asking how long is a piece of string as regards range indoors, but has anyone tested the line of sight range of this modem outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Really, how are speeds ??

Its dual band so if you have AC devices (iphone5s/6, GS5/GS6, M8, Z3, laptops from the last 18months or so) they'll be able to pull more than 100Mb on 5Ghz. The spec is AC1700 but realistically you'll top out at 3-400 on better clients. Slow devices will wanna stay on the N300 2.4Ghz side and pull 40-60Mb ish.

Basically if your sh1t is new, wifi stops being a bottleneck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement