Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stabbing incident at Milltown LUAS station

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Stop looking to get offended, you know what I meant. Scum from upper class backgrounds don't normally go around the stabbing people, doesn't mean they're not scum(ie. a lot of bankers from the recession who owe the country millions).

I know two Young lads in prison for stabbing/killing someone at a party, they are both from one of the most expensive streets in Dublin. Drink and drugs can make anyone act like a maniac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Looks like a game of knifey spooney got out of hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Do you know what it is liked to be stabbed? You do recognise you could kill a man with a spoon having the right knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Lux23 wrote: »
    I know two Young lads in prison for stabbing/killing someone at a party, they are both from one of the most expensive streets in Dublin. Drink and drugs can make anyone act like a maniac.

Correction: Drink and drugs can make scum act like thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

jungleman wrote: »
    When I read these stories I just feel disgust in the pit of my stomach. Pure and utter scumbags. Anyone who is found carrying a concealed knife should have a fixed term sentence.

What a load of sh*t. Typical uneducated about the world attitude. The world isn't some black and white place where you can have these absolute laws. There is plenty of reasons one might have a knife on them, the most logically one is for ones job.

But because some scumbag stabs someone, your logical, clearly well thought through solution is anyone who ever carrys a knife on them (and unless you are carrying it your hand it's likely to fall under the "concealed" aspect) should face jail.

Using that logic, we should have fixed term sentences for people who are drunk in public in case they might fight or people who speed because they might cause a road accident.

But that'd be ridiculous... Wouldn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

myshirt wrote: »
    Do you know what it is liked to be stabbed? You do recognise you could kill a man with a spoon having the right knowledge.

Do you recognise what a joke is?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

neckedit wrote: »
    Why would you carry a knife? give me any number reasons please.

Might need to open a tin of paint later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Reati wrote: »
    What a load of sh*t. Typical uneducated about the world attitude. The world isn't some black and white place where you can have these absolute laws. There is plenty of reasons one might have a knife on them, the most logically one is for ones job.

But because some scumbag stabs someone, your logical, clearly well thought through solution is anyone who ever carrys a knife on them (and unless you are carrying it your hand it's likely to fall under the "concealed" aspect) should face jail.

Using that logic, we should have fixed term sentences for people who are drunk in public in case they might fight or people who speed because they might cause a road accident.

But that'd be ridiculous... Wouldn't it.

Reati
    Reacting

That's you overreacting.

Legislation and policing can deal with differentiating between a carpenter and his Stanley knife vs an idiot with no valid reason.

Uneducated about the world attitude.... You do know that many places around the world are cracking down on knife crime?

It doesn't mean we'll have to arrest all our chippies when they return from Oz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Danye

They are not actually allowed touch people. The do look rather KGB though.

Maybe they need to be told that. I've seen them assault people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Low-income scum: somewhat likely to present an immediate physical danger to those around them, as they have little to lose by acting on their scummy impulses, like stabbing someone on a LUAS.

High-income scum: unlikely to present an immediate physical danger to those around them, as acting on their scummy impulses and stabbing someone on the LUAS means their life as they know it is over.

Members of the second group are no less awful and no less detrimental to society, but to argue that they're as likely to stab somebody in a populated public area is factually untrue. It's not that it doesn't happen, as several high-profile cases in the past demonstrate... But the fact that those cases are high-profile illustrates how far from the norm these instances are.

As for carrying knives... I carried a Swiss Army knife for years. The knife, screwdriver, and other tools proved invaluable on multiple occasions, and not one of them was ever violence against another person. I'm not completely opposed to a blanket ban on knives because I can see the benefit of it, but to say anyone carrying a knife is automatically a scumbag is pretty far removed from the truth in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Thanks, Jason.

Ooh, I'd say you were waiting a while for this one!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Are there actually people here foaming at the mouth over some naive imminent danger from bankers ? Someone who takes brown envelopes or runs an institution lending more than it can make back in profit is most likely that middle aged, suit & tie who'd squirm at the thought of physical altercations.

The knuckle draggers in this case are the ones you should keep your eye on when on public transport. Not Seanie Fitz with the briefcase and long overcoat. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭bsloepro

You probably could. You are unlikely however to sever an artery unintentionally with a spoon.
    I got stabbed/slashed pretty deep with a Stanley on the inside of my bicep, trying to fight my way out of a mugging. To me it in itself was not a massive big deal. I got about 20 stitches. What makes me cringe is how close to my artery the cut was....and how that could have panned out..........purely for the contents of my wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My grandfather lived his whole life carrying a pocket knife, until this thread I didn't realise he was actually a scumbag who should have been locked up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I have to get the green line tomorrow and I'll be packin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

bnt wrote: »
    If they're anything like the guys I've seen before - huge Polish rugby players - the attackers are lucky they weren't stomped flat.

And if excessive force was used, they would probably end up suing the security company with the backing of the bleeding heart brigade.
    stunmer wrote: »
    My job requires me to have a knife. People who camp, sailors, scouts all may be carrying knives.

Yes because Milltown is a prime location for the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

There's always been a bit of an exaggeration about the green line on boards, it's doesn't just go by mansions the whole way, plenty of the stops have nearby council estates, bound to be a few scum around(though the majority from these areas are lovely). I've seen a few assaults in Balally stop and Ballyogan Wood.

There Ballyogan isint too bad the kids there just can be very annoying at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You think the green line is bad.......... you should see what they stab you with on the pink line.......

I used to get the green line quite a lot a while back. It's most definitely not all posh. There's two stops in particular where you'd get a crowd of dodgy kids who would get on one and then get off the other stop. Can't think of the stops now, but I'm sure people know the ones I'm talking about.

What I noticed is that the inspectors/security would ride the luas all the way to Bride's Glenn in the morning, but they'd only ever get on the stop right after those dodgy kids got off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I think its simple. If you have any type of knife ALONE then you are asking/looking for trouble, however if it is in your tackle box or on your tool belt with other tools or in a tool box then there is no issue, if you have a knife without any other signs of work or recreational purposes then you are deemed up to no good in my opinion.

I NEVER carried a knife of any description outside the house unless with a tackle box or in a tool box. There is no need. I dont come from a wealthy/posh/scumbaggy area, i just know if I have a knife and get in a fight it could be used, by me or by others on me. You are some sort of special if you bring one out for the craic, or in a just in case kind of way. Especially in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think its simple. If you have any type of knife ALONE then you are asking/looking for trouble, however if it is in your tackle box or on your tool belt with other tools or in a tool box then there is no issue, if you have a knife without any other signs of work or recreational purposes then you are deemed up to no good in my opinion.

I NEVER carried a knife of any description outside the house unless with a tackle box or in a tool box. There is no need. I dont come from a wealthy/posh/scumbaggy area, i just know if I have a knife and get in a fight it could be used, by me or by others on me. You are some sort of special if you bring one out for the craic, or in a just in case kind of way. Especially in Dublin.

Well, if you never did it then thats how it must be.

so under what pretense is it deemed acceptable to have a knife for no reason at all in a public place?

I was not saying that because i never did i am holier than thou, i just cant fathom how anyone could bring a knife out for no reason. I think that you would have to be a bit stupid it you thought it was ok to do so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

so under what pretense is it deemed acceptable to have a knife for no reason at all in a public place?

The 'no reason at all' bit is the part that would be difficult to argue/prosecute in court.

Who decides what reasons are legitimate and how will it be proven that the carrier doesn't have one of these legitimate criteria?

osarusan wrote: »
    The 'no reason at all' bit is the part that would be difficult to argue/prosecute in court.

Who decides what reasons are legitimate and how will it be proven that the carrier doesn't have one of these legitimate criteria?

If they have other gear on them, like a tackle box, bag or ropes (for fishing climbing etc,) toolbox etc again i see no reason to leave the house carrying a knife, without any of the above, it may take a bit of forward planning but it isnt too much to ask people dont arm themselves with deadly weapons:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Reati wrote: »

I think the gardai, like most intelligent people can tell the difference between someone carrying a knife for work or some other innocent reason & someone concealing something like a large kitchen knife in their sock.
    I don't understand why there is not much stop & search by the gardai

Help!!!! wrote: »
    I think the gardai, like most intelligent people can tell the difference between someone carrying a knife for work or some other innocent reason & someone concealing something like a large kitchen knife in their sock.

When you look at the last poster, being you, Help!!!!, and the thread title together on the preview, it looks like you're the one getting stabbed.

oWUAbmY.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

It's the sailors, scouts and various other miscellaneous luas-riding adventurers that are the real victims here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

does your job require you to travel on the Luaa with your tools.....Scouts, Sailors. ...really kinda clutching at straws here. .....Any way the point is there are a lotta scumbags carrying knives....not for work or any other outdoor pursuits, but for intimidation and actually harming people.

The point is, its possible for a non scumbag to have a knife in their pocket. I often use one for the work I do, and keep it in pocket all day because of its frequent use, so I might have it in pocket going home, forgetting to put it into the tool box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If they have other gear on them, like a tackle box, bag or ropes (for fishing climbing etc,) toolbox etc again i see no reason to leave the house carrying a knife, without any of the above, it may take a bit of forward planning but it isnt too much to ask people dont arm themselves with deadly weapons:confused:
    scumbags are more likely to carry around some rope or fishing line than disarm I'd say.

One problem with what you're suggesting is that it gives scumbags an easy way to defend themselves in court, based on the letter of the law.

"Your honour, he might have 97 convictions, but he had 20 metres of line in his pocket and a couple of hooks, so he has the right to carry that kitchen knife."

• Advertisement

I used to get the green line quite a lot a while back. It's most definitely not all posh. There's two stops in particular where you'd get a crowd of dodgy kids who would get on one and then get off the other stop. Can't think of the stops now, but I'm sure people know the ones I'm talking about.

What I noticed is that the inspectors/security would ride the luas all the way to Bride's Glenn in the morning, but they'd only ever get on the stop right after those dodgy kids got off.

It would be handy if you named them

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

i wonder do people ever be on the brink of stabbing someone and then say '**** wait, this is a respectable area. let's not do this here'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Milltown is a weird area. There's a very rough-looking housing estate across the river at the bottom of the road leading to the Luas station. Everywhere else is gated and respectable.

Usually it's such a sleepy little place. No matter how rough the kids from that estate might be, you'd never expect anything like this.

stehyl15 wrote: »

Balally and Ballyogan road? I can't remember 100%

Balally and Ballyogan road? I can't remember 100%

Ballyogan theres just a few kids running amuck nothing too serious I never tought Balally was bad either but there seems to be a security presence around it at evening time I always thought it was to keep an eye on the kids coming out from Dundrum SC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

PARlance wrote: »
    Uneducated about the world attitude.... You do know that many places around the world are cracking down on knife crime?

There is a difference in cracking down on knife crime and imposing a fixed term sentence on anyone who has a knife on their person.

The suggestion of a fixed sentence for carrying a knife is stupid and a knee jerk "won't somebody please think of the children" style reaction. Just because there is few reasons to have a knife on you in Milltown, doesn't mean the rest of country is the same. Ridiculing the idea that a farmer, camper or sailor might carry a knife is also an uneducated attitude.

Laws don't get made just for Milltown...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Help!!!! wrote: »

Ironically I actually got stabbed by somebody that had a legitmate reason to carry a knife :mad:

A way tougher line with knife crime and going armed with knives needs to be taken though, in the area I live now (UK) there's been two extremely serious stabbings in the last month or so.

How the law is written might take some working out but even if you simply made it that anyone with a recent criminal conviction faced mandatory time (and actually had to serve it) for carrying a knife it would still improve the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Wft is that supposed to mean?

there is plenty of scum in both those areas and if there is trouble in the area there's a high probability that the perpetrators are from said areas.

not all residents in these areas are scum but certainly a vastly higher percentage than surrounding areas of Orwell, Miltown, Clonskeagh etc.

thought it was fairly obvious what the post meant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

If all the Scumbags are going to be carrying knives then law abiding citizens should also have a right to carry them to defend themselves against the Scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

stehyl15 wrote: »

They probably mean Ballyogan and the one before it (Leopardstown Valley?) - Ballyogan kids like to shuttle between their place and the Spar there. These are just messy kids though, not thugs/gurriers, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Simon2015 wrote: »
    If all the Scumbags are going to be carrying knives then law abiding citizens should also have a right to carry them to defend themselves against the Scumbags.

The same logic is used by people over in America when it comes to guns...

conorh91 wrote: »
    Milltown is a weird area. There's a very rough-looking housing estate across the river at the bottom of the road leading to the Luas station. Everywhere else is gated and respectable.

Usually it's such a sleepy little place. No matter how rough the kids from that estate might be, you'd never expect anything like this.

From the reports today some yobs from Rathmines/Crumlin were sorting their issues out. The one who got stabbed the most owes his life to these security guys (fair play to them), but if three people were reported stabbed then he must have got another one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Unconfirmed that the perpetrators were homeless or from the travelling community.

You send a LUAS out to Balally; you must deal with the consequences.
    mhge wrote: »
    From the reports today some yobs from Rathmines/Crumlin were sorting their issues out. The one who got stabbed the most owes his life to these security guys (fair play to them), but if three people were reported stabbed then he must have got another one too.

Who to believe ??

realies wrote: »
    Who to believe ??

My intel is from the Indo, for what it's worth :)
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/luas-attack-he-owes-his-life-to-the-security-guards-31121104.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

does your job require you to travel on the Luaa with your tools.....Scouts, Sailors. ...really kinda clutching at straws here. .....Any way the point is there are a lotta scumbags carrying knives....not for work or any other outdoor pursuits, but for intimidation and actually harming people.

When i worked in a stock room, i used a knife for opening up packaging. I didnt have a locker in work. So was always carrying it to and from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

conorh91 wrote: »

:pac: I grew up in that estate. Rough? You need to get out more my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

nc19 wrote: »
    there is plenty of scum in both those areas and if there is trouble in the area there's a high probability that the perpetrators are from said areas.

not all residents in these areas are scum but certainly a vastly higher percentage than surrounding areas of Orwell, Miltown, Clonskeagh etc.

thought it was fairly obvious what the post meant

I take it you did a scum head count in those areas then yes and then went to Milltown, Clonskeagh and Orwell and did a head count for scummers there? You said certainly so it's the only way of being sure yeah?

Appears from what I've heard today the suspects weren't from the area at all but hey don't let that stop you from making assumptions about the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You often see then getting on and off between Miltown and Windy Arbour. I've seen little pr!cks at the Milton stop before offer the STT lads down the laneway across from the stop because "there's no cameras over there". These lads were about 8 stone and less than half the size of the security guards but probably wasn't fists they were planning on using.

There's also a gang of teenagers who used to hang around on the tracks and I spotted them a couple of times throwing the stones from the tracks into the surrounding estates. Told them to cop the fcuk on and they stopped until I passed and just continued. I rang the guards in Rathmines and they said they'd send a car out and when I came back an hour later the young lads were still there lobbing stones and stopping trams. Maybe now they'll start taking things a bit more seriously around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

:pac: I grew up in that estate. Rough? You need to get out more my friend.
    Is that estate the one an earlier poster called "Columbanus"? I agree, it hardly looks rough at all. Working class, sure, but it's next to the golf course.

According to DAFT, a small 2-bed house in that area will cost you a mere €375,000, while a 4-bed nearby is €400,000: at those low prices, they're sure to attract lower class types. :pac:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
Advertisement