Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

DopeTech wrote: »
    If you have decent wifi a Chromecast with Google Tv will do the job nicely.

Just don't waste your money on anything that doesn't run official Android TV OS as the cheaper boxes can only play netflix in 480p

Can you hardwire a Chromecast and side load apps onto it?

Asking but googling question also

Had a Minix U1 box and that's still going in Parents house but as Android updates etc to currently 11 cannot do it on this box. So looking for one that will get regular updates but can side load etc. Dont want to root it just something simple and can be hardwired

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Can you hardwire a Chromecast and side load apps onto it?

Asking but googling question also

Had a Minix U1 box and that's still going in Parents house but as Android updates etc to currently 11 cannot do it on this box. So looking for one that will get regular updates but can side load etc. Dont want to root it just something simple and can be hardwired

yup, ethernet adapter, bobs your uncle, very tempted to get one myself, know someone with both firestick and chromecast, said cast is far superior

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    yup, ethernet adapter, bobs your uncle, very tempted to get one myself, know someone with both firestick and chromecast, said cast is far superior

with apps like wifi file anaylser you can load apps from laptop or phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭.red.

I've got 2 Minix U1's and they're both still working fine after 4 years of use.
    I've one particular app that I use from time to time that's very CPU heavy. The box lags when it's running in the background but as soon as I turn off the app the box is perfect again.
    They're both on Android 5 (I think) and I see no need to upgrade them while they're working as they are. I've yet to find anything that the lack of updates hinders.

.red. wrote: »
    I've got 2 Minix U1's and they're both still working fine after 4 years of use.
    I've one particular app that I use from time to time that's very CPU heavy. The box lags when it's running in the background but as soon as I turn off the app the box is perfect again.
    They're both on Android 5 (I think) and I see no need to upgrade them while they're working as they are. I've yet to find anything that the lack of updates hinders.

Yeah have 2 both rooted and marshmallow installed. Both used for steaming and iptv and one with in laws other with parents both using a2 lite remote.

Want something to hide behind tv

I like the chromecast but is there any recommendations for a usb c hub for extra memory and for ethernet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

BandMember wrote: »
    That's not the Pro version though - it's a "Lite" version that doesn't have the full specs or capability of the Pro. The version you linked can usually be picked up on a deal somewhere, the Pro is never on sale. That should tell you all you need to know. ;)

I have the Pro but honestly don't think the lite is much of a step down .

*Before anyone mentions it ,I know it's not called lite !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yeah have 2 both rooted and marshmallow installed. Both used for steaming and iptv and one with in laws other with parents both using a2 lite remote.

Want something to hide behind tv

I like the chromecast but is there any recommendations for a usb c hub for extra memory and for ethernet connection.

Just curious, if it's for streaming and iptv what do you need additional storage for? A chromecast with google tv would be the ideal solution for this.

Just curious, if it's for streaming and iptv what do you need additional storage for? A chromecast with google tv would be the ideal solution for this.

I have a few kids programs i downloaded that I can attach to a drive and when Daddy is allowed look at the football on the Big tv kids can look at kids stuff on spare tv...that's the plan but don't think i will be allowed look at big TV:rolleyes:

Just wonder if TV will power Chromecast (need to buy spare TV also) and need ethernet option to hard wire it up

I have a few kids programs i downloaded that I can attach to a drive and when Daddy is allowed look at the football on the Big tv kids can look at kids stuff on spare tv...that's the plan but don't think i will be allowed look at big TV:rolleyes:

Just wonder if TV will power Chromecast (need to buy spare TV also) and need ethernet option to hard wire it up

tv should have no problem running chromecast, as its powered by ethernet adapter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 keVo.

H96 Pro+ box the spec says 32gb micro SD max

Will a bigger card likely work?

I appreciate I can try one ,but what's he likelihood ?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭jj880

keVo. wrote: »

Not sure but I prefer to use my PC for storage. I share a folder in Windows then stream to my X96 Max+ using Network section of VLC Player android app. Works really well.

I use VNC Server / Viewer on my PC / phone to remote into my PC also. I like to stay on my couch as much as possible.

keVo. wrote: »

would have a usb u could connect to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mikey..

jj880 wrote: »
    Not sure but I prefer to use my PC for storage. I share a folder in Windows then stream to my X96 Max+ using Network section of VLC Player android app. Works really well.

I use VNC Server / Viewer on my PC / phone to remote into my PC also. I like to stay on my couch as much as possible.

Can you do this android>android app?

What's the easiest way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭jj880

Mikey.. wrote: »

What's the easiest way

I dont think you can use the setup ive described above android to android.

My first thought for that is casting from your phone to android box using miracast on your box. While running miracast on android box you then enable an option in most android phones called "share wireless display". This sends your phone screen to the tv. Then just play media on your phone. As for how smooth it would be for a HD movie Im not sure but thats the only solution I know. Maybe someone else has a better android to android setup they can share.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Mikey.. wrote: »

What's the easiest way
    I think, not 100% sure, this should do it. Not sure as I haven't tried it, but might be worth checking out.

Choose the folder where the recordings are and use something like autosync to automatically send it to the cloud.
    You could also try Sync.com or Owncloud, there are tons that should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Looking on spending about €60-€100 for something that will be used mainly for streaming, with possibly some casting as well from an Android phone, so thought someone here may point me in the right direction.

I'm assuming I still go for at least 4GB RAM, but wondering what else I should look for? Although the person wants one with WiFi, I'd like an ethernet port in it, in case they decide to just hardwire it to their router. Finally, a remote that can be handled by one hand is needed.

Haven't gotten a Android box in a while. How is MiniX these days?

the_syco wrote: »
    Looking on spending about €60-€100 for something that will be used mainly for streaming, with possibly some casting as well from an Android phone, so thought someone here may point me in the right direction.

I'm assuming I still go for at least 4GB RAM, but wondering what else I should look for? Although the person wants one with WiFi, I'd like an ethernet port in it, in case they decide to just hardwire it to their router. Finally, a remote that can be handled by one hand is needed.

Hard to beat the Chromecast with google tv for reliability. You don't necessarily need 4gb ram. I have a Mi box S with 2gb ram/8gb storage and have never had an issue with IPTV, Netflix, amazon, YouTube and any other side loaded apps I get my hands on. All will stream in 4k which some boxes can't due to licensing issues.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/chromecast-with-google-tv-snow-10216159-pdt.html?istCompanyId=fbc6ef6d-ab18-45e3-927a-0cb677794424&istFeedId=0959f117-9faa-4499-80bd-c0265bb2950e&istItemId=immtixqxa&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjwh_eFBhDZARIsALHjIKfhuawsaeqjTVgftiuXV6XlLMJeBLSbcJFGPTCL8GT5cfM3YMV5LYQaAhizEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

DopeTech wrote:
    Hard to beat the Chromecast with google tv for reliability. You don't necessarily need 4gb ram. I have a Mi box S with 2gb ram/8gb storage and have never had an issue with IPTV, Netflix, amazon, YouTube and any other side loaded apps I get my hands on. All will stream in 4k which some boxes can't due to licensing issues.

Haven't fully setup my chromecast, but I'm well impressed, works flawlessly over WiFi, only device I can get full speeds on to, can be bought directly from Google store also

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Haven't fully setup my chromecast, but I'm well impressed, works flawlessly over WiFi, only device I can get full speeds on to, can be bought directly from Google store also

Yep, same price too with free delivery.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/chromecast_google_tv

• Advertisement

Currys also have the chromecast for the same price, walk in and collect. It is a great device.
    But.
    If you are setting the device up for somebody else, that may need help further down the line, it (AndroidTV) doesn't allow remote support (teamviewer, anydesk etc.) which ended up being a bit of a hindrance to me.
    Other AndroidTV devices that are very good -
    The Mecool KM2 is also a great device (their first official device with Netflix support) - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM2-Netflix-4K-TV-BOX-459862.html
    Before July tax laws come into play, it gets in without any additional charges (or did for me) OOS at the minute.

The Jetstream/EN is currently up in price (camelx3) but is a very good device, I eventually got one after waiting for the price to drop, very responsive and handles everything as expected. https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/Engel%20TV%20EN1015K

But there are plenty still worth getting without AndroidTV for half those prices and adding a TV launcher for GUI etc. Netflix blocked the previous patched version, but not the latest which seems to be running well since April, if Netflix is a factor.
    But be mindful that it is a patched version. May stop working at any point, but may also be updated with the next etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/chromecast-with-google-tv-snow-10216159-pdt.html?istCompanyId=fbc6ef6d-ab18-45e3-927a-0cb677794424&istFeedId=0959f117-9faa-4499-80bd-c0265bb2950e&istItemId=immtixqxa&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjwh_eFBhDZARIsALHjIKfhuawsaeqjTVgftiuXV6XlLMJeBLSbcJFGPTCL8GT5cfM3YMV5LYQaAhizEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Seems the person wants to be able to watch stuff that is stored on the local HDD as well, which AFAIK without another device to cast it, Chromecast doesn't allow it to work?

Would I be right to say that all android boxes accept casting? I think the person will be mainly using it to play Netflix & RTE player from her phone, and local video files off a storage device (probably a USB HDD).

Seems the person wants to be able to watch stuff that is stored on the local HDD as well, which AFAIK without another device to cast it, Chromecast doesn't allow it to work?
    You can, but you will need to buy a USB-C hub with power enough in it. Also the drive would need to formatted to exfat or let the chromecast format it itself.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-usb-c-hub-chromecast-google-tv

Would I be right to say that all android boxes accept casting? I think the person will be mainly using it to play Netflix & RTE player from her phone, and local video files off a storage device (probably a USB HDD).

You can mount it as network storage if it's connected to another network PC or your router.

The rte player app is officially available for Android TV works well with a d pad remote.

Google cast and Google assistant are built into Android TV

If they need usb input then the mi box s would make more sense imo.

If they need usb input then the mi box s would make more sense imo.

Mibox s only has a single USB A port, better to get a Chromecast and add a USB C hub if you need ports. The new Chromecast is newer hardware, is more powerful and gets updates from Google.

We have Mibox S in a bedroom 32" 720p TV, a Mibox in the kitchen on 1080p TV, a Mi TV and a Nvidia shield on the main TV. The Mibox S is certainly not great on a 4k TV, fine on 1080p and below. The Mi TV is only 32" 720p works very well in a child's bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chromecast with Google TV, hard to beat it in that price range.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Before i order it.... anyone with a Chromecast with Google TV can confirm whether the app NLZIET (app that has all Dutch tv channels legally) can be installed on it?
    Had it running o my android box but now stops after 10 seconds. App runs fine on my phone.

Nlziet app is in playstore can be downloaded ondroid tv os
    click it you get the login code to link to the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Lads does anyone know if I can adjust the picture colours and brightness on the mecool km9 pro box directly .

The picture is very dull even though I have my TV settings set to Sport which is very Vivid.

Advertisement