Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

jj880 wrote: »
    Bought a H96 max box last year. Fecking thing wont boot now. Stuck on android loading animation and restoring the firmware fails on reading the maskrom. According to h96 support website FAQs this means the storage memory is faulty but they wont reply to me on whatsapp or email with any support for the box.

Not sure what my options are. I bought it on geekbuying.com. Very disappointing.
    Have you tried this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMP5lceviZM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭jj880

Suckit wrote: »

Thanks for that. I saw that video but haven't tried it. I assumed that was if your box was completely bricked and not detected by the firmware restoring software via usb. I have done the same process without the tweezers as the box is detected by my PC on usb. Doesnt even get to the erase stage which makes me think the memory is fecked. See error attached.

I have opened a ticket with geekbuying. I will see what they say. If they dont help me then I will try shorting with tweezers. Nothing to lose at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

any recommendations for a box with android tv and ethernet, budget 50-100?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

You can get an Ethernet adapter for less than 15 quid. I use one with a Mibox S. Try Banggood

You can get an Ethernet adapter for less than 15 quid. I use one with a Mibox S. Try Banggood

i think id prefer to have ethernet on the box, oh and preferably from euro warehouse?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

chromecast with google tv and ethernet adapter better set up to use ethernet than mi box

Nowso wrote: »
    chromecast with google tv and ethernet adapter

debating this to, is there any advantages over having the chromecast over a box?

debating this to, is there any advantages over having the chromecast over a box?

The new Chromecast has the full Android TV GUI and a remote, there's no difference now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Does anyone know is it possible to side load an old vodafone set top box ?

• Advertisement

built in google assistant , still getting updates supported by google . only advantage a box would have is a pointer on some apps ive bbc i player itv - usually uk only and all 4 not a android tv app added to mine . if i need them

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

built in google assistant , still getting updates supported by google . only advantage a box would have is a pointer on some apps ive bbc i player itv - usually uk only and all 4 not a android tv app added to mine . if i need them

Does the new chromecast tv come with ethernet adapter or bought separate, thinking of getting one to replace old android box

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭xlogo

Wanderer78 wrote:

Got one of these a few weeks ago and no issues with it..

Engel EN1015K 8 GB

Got it from AliExpress and it shipped from Italy but Google might get it elsewhere.

Does the new chromecast tv come with ethernet adapter or bought separate, thinking of getting one to replace old android box

separate

seperate adapter for 20 euro that google sell . its a power plug you plug the ethernet into , have one and it works good

The Engel EN1015K is also called the Jetstream in U.S. or Ematic.
    It's on amazon Spain, currently around €73 delivered.
    Or on (Never heard of them before last night) BigBuy for €54.99 with these shipping options (They also take paypal so any purchased should be covered).
    shippingbigbuy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

If you type in Android TV box into Amazon or eBay you will get hundreds of hits. The better ones will be 4k and have a decent storage capacity. They come with Google playstore, netflix, YouTube, Amazon prime etc as standard and you can sideload any APK you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

basill wrote: »
    If you type in Android TV box into Amazon or eBay you will get hundreds of hits. The better ones will be 4k and have a decent storage capacity. They come with Google playstore, netflix, YouTube, Amazon prime etc as standard and you can sideload any APK you wish.

I'd add make sure it's certified for Netflix or you'll be left with 480p as best resolution regardless. Some 4k android boxes won't play Netflix beyond that resolution.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I would also want to make sure it has decent firmware etc..
    Although I also wouldn't sign into google play store on any of those ones.
    I think Netflix comes on all of them but as mentioned, you need widevine L3 for full HD, although there are mods floating around.

I would also want to make sure it has decent firmware etc..
    Although I also wouldn't sign into google play store on any of those ones.
    I think Netflix comes on all of them but as mentioned, you need widevine L3 for full HD, although there are mods floating around.

Just make up a google account for the box and use the playstore and sideload the others

• Advertisement

Just make up a google account for the box and use the playstore and sideload the others
    Easier to just use Aurora. Google locking down and freezing accounts now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Easier to just use Aurora. Google locking down and freezing accounts now too.

What for?
    I've a family email address set up and both my boxes are signed into that. Handy if I pay for an app as it works on both.

.red. wrote: »
    What for?
    I've a family email address set up and both my boxes are signed into that. Handy if I pay for an app as it works on both.
    I am referring to the Firmware that (usually) comes on the cheaper boxes.
    I would change the firmware and sign in no bother, but I would most likely use another account.
    I haven't any paid for apps from the play store on a box anyway. The only paid would be subscription apps (netflix, amazon etc.) that don't require play store.
    The box I am using I have nothing at all on it except Tivimate and one other app.
    Signed up for Tivimate on phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I am referring to the Firmware that (usually) comes on the cheaper boxes.
    I would change the firmware and sign in no bother, but I would most likely use another account.
    I haven't any paid for apps from the play store on a box anyway. The only paid would be subscription apps (netflix, amazon etc.) that don't require play store.
    The box I am using I have nothing at all on it except Tivimate and one other app.
    Signed up for Tivimate on phone.

Also highly recommend tivimate !!

Great great piece of tech for IPTV and well worth the 5quid

wally1990 wrote: »
    Also highly recommend tivimate !!

Great great piece of tech for IPTV and well worth the 5quid

second that, best app ive found so far(
    freebie available on the tinternets also, if you dont mind using an older version
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I see the NVidia Shield 4K device for sale on Amazon for £129. I ran it through the checkout and its showing as €154.77 delivered - you need a Prime account.

Hope thats a bargain and someone might avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BandMember

muffler wrote: »
    I see the NVidia Shield 4K device for sale on Amazon for £129. I ran it through the checkout and its showing as €154.77 delivered - you need a Prime account.

Hope thats a bargain and someone might avail of it.

That's not the Pro version though - it's a "Lite" version that doesn't have the full specs or capability of the Pro. The version you linked can usually be picked up on a deal somewhere, the Pro is never on sale. That should tell you all you need to know. ;)

BandMember wrote:
    That's not the Pro version though - it's a "Lite" version that doesn't have the full specs or capability of the Pro. The version you linked can usually be picked up on a deal somewhere, the Pro is never on sale. That should tell you all you need to know.

Was close to buying it myself, perfectly suits my needs, but the design is a little off putting, have two old boxes on the way to me today, so gonna sit on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just looking for views on a back up Android

I have Nvidia shield and I use this for Streaming etc and very good

However I have been kicked into office to watch football etc on PC. Now looking at getting second TV and add a Android Box for apps etc for streaming

I have a Firestick in the In laws house so not sure if this would do or is there a better option (dont want to get another shield) .Have office hard wired and looking at getting Network switch so can hard wire Android box / firestick

So what are the best options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Just looking for views on a back up Android

I have Nvidia shield and I use this for Streaming etc and very good

However I have been kicked into office to watch football etc on PC. Now looking at getting second TV and add a Android Box for apps etc for streaming

I have a Firestick in the In laws house so not sure if this would do or is there a better option (dont want to get another shield) .Have office hard wired and looking at getting Network switch so can hard wire Android box / firestick

So what are the best options?

If you have decent wifi a Chromecast with Google Tv will do the job nicely.

Just don't waste your money on anything that doesn't run official Android TV OS as the cheaper boxes can only play netflix in 480p

Advertisement