Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre with Airport Extreme

• 06-09-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭

I recently got upgraded to eFibre. Before that, I had a reliable setup with the eircom router in bridge mode and my Airport Extreme connecting with PPoE. I run a couple of servers from behind this router and I have a static IP, and everything worked nicely.

With eFibre and the new eircom router (F2000), things aren't working well at all. With the eircom router in bridge mode, the Airport Extreme can't connect to the internet with PPoE, only with DHCP. DHCP is no good because it gets assigned a dynamic IP and not the static IP I've paid for. I've been told by eircom that to get the static IP, I need to connect with PPoE from the Airport Extreme, with my eircom router in bridge mode.

Eircom said that the MTU needs to be set at 1492 to connect with PPoE. Unfortunately there's no way to change the MTU on the airport extreme, and it seems to be set to 1500. Would this be the reason it can't connect with PPoE? Does anyone know if there are any solutions to this problem? Basically I just need the Airport Extreme exposed to the internet, and with my correct static IP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Limecube

Interestingly I gave up using my Apple Airport Extreme (the new tall ac one), because I found the F2000 router to be really as good. I just switched off the 2.4Ghz radio and are connecting using the 5Ghz radio with the channel bonding (80Mhz channels). It really seems to be performing identically to the Apple wifi station.

When I used the Apple Wifi unit, I often found the same issue with bridge mode on the xDSL router. There is one other approach you can try. That is, to leave the F2000 router out of bridge mode. Make it your router, DHCP server, etc. Switch off the F2000 wifi radios. Put the Apple Airport Extreme itself into bridge mode. It will then act as the wifi element of your network, without a double NAT situation, and use F2000 to open the WAN connection and provide the DHCP services.

Advertisement