Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

emm80 wrote: »
    When i signed up in September, I gave my number and the missus as contacts, they have all been updating her via txt, even though I cancelled..... We'll see where it goes

Damn it I think I deleted the last text I got from them

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

tiny timy wrote: »
    Do you have to get it with the phone for €60 ir can you get it without the phone for cheaper? Have no interest in getting the phone.

You have to get phone. It comes as part of the service. So unfortunately no option to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cappy123

km79 wrote: »
    Lot of trees around our site though facing east
    Half off them have been topped so the NE and E
    Those to the SE have not

The tower to you will be N to NE direction, don't forget that you do not need a direct line of sight even though it would be ideal. Direct line of sight is for point to point like lightnet.

cappy123 wrote: »
    The tower to you will be N to NE direction, don't forget that you do not need a direct line of sight even though it would be ideal. Direct line of sight is for point to point like lightnet.

That's the optimum position as that's where the 3 engineer moved the modem too
    Might be hope yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

km79 wrote: »
    That's the optimum position as that's where the 3 engineer moved the modem too
    Might be hope yet

Your first time doing this is the time to have everything right,so my advice is to go out with the binoculars and locate that mast and see if there a place where they can point it that it is still essentially a line of sight,it will work better

Here's my line of sight standing on the roof beside the aerial,that hill 6.6kms away
    LoS and short distance is a big plus giving the kind of speeds I'm getting
    At double that distance,you're bound to have more variables affecting signal,so going out ,doing the homework and exactly locating a workable location that can see that hill is very important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 goosey11

This is the panoramic from the tower in cappatagle facing kilimordaly area pretty clear shot for miles

Attachment not found.

I will be getting signal from mount Mary site. It's 17 km away from my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Not too shabby for 833pm of a Saturday evening :)
    5888981179.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Balls, just a text saying I'm outside of coverage. Typical. No high speed for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 goosey11

Here is a picture of my current speeds with Vodafone . Imagine are installing LTE tomorrow so looking forward to seeing what speeds I will get. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Connected nearly 2 weeks now to the Minch Norton mast in athy. Speeds ranging from 30 to 45 with the ping at 25 to 30.
    Lost signal tonight for about 5 minutes. First time that I noticed a lost signal.

Extremely happy so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Hello447

Is there anyway to pay a bit extra to get rid of the 20gb daily cap? Thinking about getting it but a lot of people download and use netflix every day so I could see us using that 20 gb very quickly and I'm not sure if 5gb would support us all or would it? There's 4 people in my home constantly doing something on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

To be honest I think their discipline on the 20gb cap is a good thing. If they got rid of it then contention would go through the roof and it would become a free for all. Yes, it is a pain in the arse, but you know that when you get into the contract and their spectrum is a finite resource so it is good management what they have. I don't see them lifting it any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I have Imagine WiMax. This morning I got a letter from them saying they are removing the service in 30 days. They said nothing about any other service but gave a phone number.
    I'm a pensioner and don't have much idea about broadband. My use is internet looking up things, and I don't download anything (films, music).
    Can anyone let me know what is happening. I could phone them but I'd like to know something before I do (why is it removed, will they offer something else (price?), any alternatives).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

diomed wrote: »
    I have Imagine WiMax. This morning I got a letter from them saying they are removing the service in 30 days. They said nothing about any other service but gave a phone number.
    I'm a pensioner and don't have much idea about broadband. My use is internet looking up things, and I don't download anything (films, music).
    Can anyone let me know what is happening. I could phone them but I'd like to know something before I do (why is it removed, will they offer something else (price?), any alternatives).

They are shutting down their Wimax service across the country. You are one of the lucky ones who got notified by them. There are others on here who got shut down without notice and were continued to be billed for no service months later.

If they have their new LTE service available on the same mast as you get Wimax from, then you might be able to move to that service. So call them to find out. There'd be a new installation charge and I think it's €60pm after that.

Presumably you are rural, so don't have Virgin Media as an option.

So alternatives:
    1. Have you got a landline number (not from Imagine)? If so, toss the number in here and see what it reads back. If you don't have a landline, zoom in on this map to your location. Are you within 1-1.5KM of any green dots? If so you might be able to get a landline installed with eFibre, but no guarantee either.
    2. Next you can see if you can pick up a fixed wireless operator. Go to this map and drop the marker on your house and tick the Wireless ISPs on the left hand side. This should give you a list of companies that might cover you. Given them a call and they should be able to confirm or not. Watch out for data limits on some of them.
    3. Finally, you might try Mobile Midband from Vodafone, Meteor or Three. Again there would be limits on data. You should see which operator provides the best coverage at your house. There used to be an unlimited plan from Three until another poster on this thread went and spoiled it for the rest of the country.
    I'm not mentioning Satellite as it really isn't an option and it is simply not worth spending any time or money on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I am one of the ones who's wimax was switched off with no notice. No broadband now for 2 weeks and still waiting for a manager from imagine to ring me back two weeks later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

diomed wrote: »

You'd be better off using the data on your phone if you are with Vodafone
    If not move to them as they've arguably the best 4G coverage in the land but check your areas coverage first
    Vodafone allow you to tether all the data in your bundle via your phones wifi hotspot to a laptop or iPad-see the link below

If you're using only 5 gigs a month for example which is likely if you're only surfing the way you've explained
    You don't need to be paying €60 a month for any extra service like imagine

link

OverRide wrote: »
    You'd be better off using the data on your phone if you are with Vodafone
    If not move to them as they've arguably the best 4G coverage in the land but check your areas coverage first

If you're using only 5 gigs a month for example which is likely if you're only surfing the way you've explained
    You don't need to be paying €60 a month for any extra service like imagine

link

Was just gonna be to say the same

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Shutting off service without notice? That's pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Yup. Very annoyed

Bullet dodged my friend.

Apparently three offered a good package for a while but has since stopped this. Someone reported it.

What package was this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

makes me wonder what could happen next year if Imagine lose the ability of continue their LTE service to everyone. Would they even inform their customers.

Many thanks for all the replies.
    I'm in south Dublin.
    My TV is old cable with just the basic channels and some of those aren't working (CH4). Perhaps it is time to get the TV and broadband fixed in one go. I would prefer not to have holes drilled in my walls putting in wires but I'm sure they must.
    I've had the Imagine unannounced cut-off before (1) about two weeks one July for no reason (Imagine internal stuff?) (2) my credit card hit its end date: no contact from them and cut off. I phoned and gave them my new card new expiry date. OK for a month then cut off again. They didn't set up a recurring payment, just charged one month.

Any ideas for TV+broadband. I'm not a "watching box sets" person.

Gonzo wrote: »
    makes me wonder what could happen next year if Imagine lose the ability of continue their LTE service to everyone. Would they even inform their customers.

According to the sales rep they are putting up 4 more masts in the Midlands in the new year. He didn't say specifically where.

I think it saves them work. You are the one in trouble. You get on to them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Magnet and Imagine are both doing it in the last two months or so. Cowboy stuff.

Had a signal test today from Cappataggle I'm approx. 14.6km away all good. After 10 years of trying to get faster than 1mbit it feels a lot like Christmas

Had a signal test today from Cappataggle I'm approx. 14.6km away all good. After 10 years of trying to get faster than 1mbit it feels a lot like Christmas

Mighty stuff
    I can't ring them till this evening
    When are you getting installed and where are they putting the antenna

Oh and it is Christmas :D

Waiting on an install date probably on the chimney higher the better to alleviate future growth of trees etc.

Waiting on an install date probably on the chimney higher the better to alleviate future growth of trees etc.

If I can even get it in it will most certainly be on the chimney too
    The forecast for the next week or so is not conducive to that kind of rooftop work !

Keep me updated please

• Advertisement

Just off the phone to them
    Had to call me back cos they could not locate my Account again !
    Getting first month feee as promised and back to my original position on install list
    Waiting for call from them
    Probably as well off to wait till after Xmas now anyway

Advertisement