Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

cycocycle wrote: »
    Attachment not found.Just trying this now. Very nice. Got it by chance. Sold out now in most places in Waterford.
    Edit. Bannow Island. Image too large.

Lucky to get your hands on it by all accounts, it seems to be a difficult one to track down with a large allocation heading out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Attachment not found.Just trying this now. Very nice. Got it by chance. Sold out now in most places in Waterford.
    Edit. Bannow Island. Image too large.

ooooh tasting notes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Highland Park is a distillery I'm interested in and know they have some stonking good whisky available (and perhaps some overpriced duds too) but every time I'm in the airport I'm paralysed by the sheer range of airport retail offerings they have, what feels like a bazillion options in multiple price ranges. I think the 12 is probably a good place to start unless I finally make notes before I go and have a sense of what I'm looking for.

Highland Park do some lovely whisky. Their Viking branding just confuses me with all the different bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

cloudatlas wrote: »
    ooooh tasting notes?
    I'm not a great one to break down smell and taste profiles. Its fruity and light, yet quite complex for a relatively young spirit. I can't really compare it to any other Whisky but if I was drinking it blind I'd guess it was Japanese. (I apologise for the worst tasting notes ever). I really do like it.
    Bought the bottle at 3.30 today and by 6.30 my buddy couldn't track down a bottle here in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Been sipping some Johnnie Walker Black and Connemara Peated Single Malt.

Both lovely. The Connemara is the first peated I've tried and I think it's a nice intro, looking forward to trying a heavier one in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You'll have a decent bar there for sure, enjoy. Quite a range of Islay options there specifically that will make for some interesting contrasts.

Highland Park is a distillery I'm interested in and know they have some stonking good whisky available (and perhaps some overpriced duds too) but every time I'm in the airport I'm paralysed by the sheer range of airport retail offerings they have, what feels like a bazillion options in multiple price ranges. I think the 12 is probably a good place to start unless I finally make notes before I go and have a sense of what I'm looking for.

Cheers Highland Park 12 is great bang for your buck, I always try have a sup for regular nips.

Caol Ila I sampled recently and really liked it.
    RB12 was a great price, and my go to Irish.
    Then Glenlivet and Bowmore are new tastes for me.
    And the Laphroaig for when I'm feeling adventurous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Teeling tasting tonight was very interesting. Different from others I've done in that we were tasting the different constituent parts that go in to their single pot still rather than the finished product.

Everything we tasted was impressive for a relatively young spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The Teeling tasting tonight was very interesting. Different from others I've done in that we were tasting the different constituent parts that go in to their single pot still rather than the finished product.

Everything we tasted was impressive for a relatively young spirit.

Thought the Crystal stole the show!!!! It was fantastic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Enjoyed the teeling tasting. I'd done the tour before but it was much more informative with Alex leading it. Only thing let it down for me is I thought we might be witnessing a launch of the Crystal/Peated but unfortunately we've to wait.

For me it was Crystal, Peated, Sherry, Bourbon and Virgin Oak. Didn't like the virgin oak at all to be honest. I finished the Crystal sample but have about 25ml of the rest left so will sample again at some stage and see if i feel the same.

Will definitely pick up a bottle of the peated in September though.

I'm not a great one to break down smell and taste profiles. Its fruity and light, yet quite complex for a relatively young spirit. I can't really compare it to any other Whisky but if I was drinking it blind I'd guess it was Japanese. (I apologise for the worst tasting notes ever). I really do like it.
    Bought the bottle at 3.30 today and by 6.30 my buddy couldn't track down a bottle here in Waterford.

That sounds about right, new make spirit is estery, fruity and and thin so that would make sense in a young spirit. Sounds nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Celtic Whiskey shop have an allocation of Waterford Whiskey, releasing for sale on their website at 1pm today.
    * Yes, in 4 minutes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Celtic Whiskey shop have an allocation of Waterford Whiskey, releasing for sale on their website at 1pm today.
    * Yes, in 4 minutes.

That figures the website is a bit crashy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

* Yes, in 4 minutes.

Thanks for the heads up it is sold out already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Exciting times seeing new single malts coming out! Can't wait to hear your reviews on the Waterford!

Thanks for the heads up it is sold out already...

Yikes. That's unreal considering the website crashed at five past one...

Really dont get the hype surrounding the Waterford release. Yeah its cool what their doing with the terroir and I can respect it as a whiskey fan. But the way its being released shop by shop seems to be the marketeers building an artificial hype. I have heard this is being released to all O Briens stores also, like its not going to be that limited yet Celtic Whiskey Shop are selling out of it in minutes. Its a 4yr whiskey ffs, not a dreamcask.

EDIT: Just checked, there are 8,000 bottles of the first two being released. To be fair the third release is only 1,500. But at 8,000 bottles there will be no issues for anyone getting their hands on the Bannow or Ballykilcavan.

I can see a lot of people opening this whiskey expecting it to blow them away and it'll end up like a teeling SPS batch 1 or a dingle batch 1.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Really dont get the hype surrounding the Waterford release. Yeah its a cool what their doing with the terroir and I can respect it as a whiskey fan. But the way its being released shop by shop seems to be the marketeers building an artificial hype. I have heard this is being released to all O Briens stores also, like its not going to be that limited yet Celtic Whiskey Shop are selling out of it in minutes. Its a 4yr whiskey ffs, not a dreamcask.

EDIT: Just checked, there are 8,000 bottles of the first two being released. To be fair the third release is only 1,500. But at 8,000 bottles there will be no issues for anyone getting their hands on the Bannow or Ballykilcavan.

I can see a lot of people opening this whiskey expecting it to blow them away and it'll end up like a teeling SPS batch 1 or a dingle batch 1.

In their defence there was supposed to be a big launch so they're trying to hype it.

But otherwise I'm with you. It's a very young whiskey and, in my opinion, is way overpriced.

I wish them well but I'll wait for the 10 year old!

Yeah it's definitely over priced. In fairness I have had good young scotch whiskies so age isn't an issue for me in terms of quality. I'm not sure it will last long because flippers will want to get their hands on it for the secondary market in the U.K. It will be very collectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

With regards to Waterford There is also a historical aspect to it.

The first release of a new distillery in Ireland is a big occasion, and the background of quality and effort that has gone into the production is interesting and admirable.

I admire their dedication to quality, it’s transparent and traceable. The idea of knowing what field on hook head the barley came from is fascinating to me, I’d prefer to drink a ten your old as well, but the idea of being able to taste a particular fields whiskey at three and ten years is exciting.

Personally and not everyone agrees but I think ‘distillery's’ that bottle casks purchased from elsewhere is disingenuous and I’ve no interest in it. You can be drinking Irish whiskey made from imported barley, or with no transparency around production and ingredients, it’s just Essentially a marketing exercise. I think distillery’s are local and buying casks from the other end of the country and putting your own label on it doesn’t Appeal to me. Waterford haven’t done that and Are willing to let the whiskey do the talking, backed up by the process that has produced it.

Credit to them, and their founder. They have made a massive Financial investment into an area of the country that has had a lot of job losses over the years and their long term quality approach is something that I think will Help elevate all of Irish whisky to another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

As a Waterford native I was very excited to follow this project from the beginning. There was a refreshing commitment to the mission statement. It could have all blown up in their faces if the end product didn't measure up. I admire them for sticking to the core project (no interim Gin production etc.). The marketing was genius and I was engaged with the story from the beginning.
    The Bannow Island SFO is really nice and I will be tasting the Ballykillcavin in a taste comparison this evening. I'm looking forward to further offerings even a more "mainstream " production run. The fact that its a young spirit doesn't deter me in any way. I'm not hung up on age statements. (My current favourite is Redbreast 12 which I much prefer to the 15). Its all subjective and to paraphrase the great Homer Simpson " I don't know much about Whisky, but I know what I hate."

• Advertisement

Roll on 10-20 years time when many Irish distilleries will be pumping out serious whiskey!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

In their defence there was supposed to be a big launch so they're trying to hype it.

But otherwise I'm with you. It's a very young whiskey and, in my opinion, is way overpriced.

I wish them well but I'll wait for the 10 year old!

How much is it?

How much is it?

The Waterford releases are €70 - €75, if you can get one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

The Waterford releases are €70 - €75, if you can get one :)

Seem to be gone everywhere unfortunately. If anyone knows where some are still available please let me know

actuar90 wrote: »
    Seem to be gone everywhere unfortunately. If anyone knows where some are still available please let me know

Try here-
    Lmdw - la Madison du whiskey
    Whiskey France

Try here-
    Lmdw - la Madison du whiskey
    Whiskey France

Out of stock

Waterford is back on sale now on Celtic Whiskey Shop. Buy it quick before it 'sells out'

Hogzy wrote:
    Waterford is back on sale now on Celtic Whiskey Shop. Buy it quick before it 'sells out'

Any word on which is the better to go for?

Cazale wrote: »

Despite my reservations regarding the price I felt it was my duty to support them as a native of Waterford. I bought both.

• Advertisement

Really tempted by the Bannow Island... there's something about islands and whiskey that appeals :)
    But can't justify the €75 right now after Dicks Macks, Games of Thrones set & Belfast Whiskey Week - if there were 200ml bottles for €25 would definitely pull the trigger.

Really tempted by the Bannow Island... there's something about islands and whiskey that appeals :)
    But can't justify the €75 right now after Dicks Macks, Games of Thrones set & Belfast Whiskey Week - if there were 200ml bottles for €25 would definitely pull the trigger.

What’s the Dick Mack’s?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

a dreamcask.

Now there is a good example of a savagely over hyped whiskey

EDIT: Just checked, there are 8,000 bottles of the first two being released. To be fair the third release is only 1,500. But at 8,000 bottles there will be no issues for anyone getting their hands on the Bannow or Ballykilcavan

FYI at least half of that left the country. Those that want it should be able to get it. Celtic have about 60 of each right now and O'Briens are getting it as mentioned.

What’s the Dick Mack’s?

Dick Mack's pub in Dingle, you can order 50 ml measures of any of the 207 whiskies from their "wall of whiskey", for a flat delivery charge of €7*.
    https://www.dickmackspub.com/shop/

* At least that was the setup last week but I have noticed that the price of the whiskies I ordered have all gone up by €1.50 so maybe they've gone for a different pricing structure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PerryB78

Hi all, what's the difference between the 3 swallows in the rectangle box and cylinder? Which one is nicer?

PerryB78 wrote: »
    Hi all, what's the difference between the 3 swallows in the rectangle box and cylinder? Which one is nicer?

Powers is going through a marketing re-branding but I don't think what's going into the bottles has changed - they reckon this shape bottle will be more eye catching on back bars:

powers_ts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PerryB78

Powers is going through a marketing re-branding but I don't think what's going into the bottles has changed - they reckon this shape bottle will be more eye catching on back bars:

powers_ts.jpg

Tis fairly eyecatching alright, thanks for that

Dick Mack's pub in Dingle, you can order 50 ml measures of any of the 207 whiskies from their "wall of whiskey", for a flat delivery charge of €7*.
    https://www.dickmackspub.com/shop/

* At least that was the setup last week but I have noticed that the price of the whiskies I ordered have all gone up by €1.50 so maybe they've gone for a different pricing structure

Thanks, I was thinking had they released their own dingle Founding fathers
    Cask, I’m sure some pubs must be thinking about doing it to raise funds, inknows ashes bar did.

PerryB78 wrote: »
    Tis fairly eyecatching alright, thanks for that

Aye but I'll miss the old bottles. Especially my favourite Powers version - the Signature Release which was discontinued as part of the rebranding :(

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote:

Was ordering about €130 worth of stuff off them and as I went to pay all the prices had gone up! I never bothered with them then as it pissed me off.

odyssey06 wrote:

Did the L Mulligan Powers tasting last night and they discussed the rebranding. Think it has had a mixed response. I liked the old Johns Lane bottle.

Had a taste of the L Mulligan Powers 15 year old Single Cask which was a lovely dram.

Despite my reservations regarding the price I felt it was my duty to support them as a native of Waterford. I bought both.

Can imagine. I'm lucky I'm not from Waterford or I'd be at the same craic!

Was ordering about €130 worth of stuff off them and as I went to pay all the prices had gone up! I never bothered with them then as it pissed me off.

I had a quick look through their offerings and some of them seemed wayyyyy over priced. €8.50 for a measure of west cork IPA when you can buy a bottle for 32.

That’s them selling a bottle of €32 whiskey for €119. Hardly a surprise that people in dingle would be ripping you off, I always found the place a rip off.

I had a quick look through their offerings and some of them seemed wayyyyy over priced. €8.50 for a measure of west cork IPA when you can buy a bottle for 32.

Previously you were getting 50 mls for the pub price of a standard measure.
    But now the prices seem to have gone up across the board and there's still the €7 delivery \ admin charge.

I had put an order in last week which I was very happy with.
    But wouldn't be putting in an order at the new prices.

Previously you were getting 50 mls for the pub price of a standard measure.
    But now the prices seem to have gone up across the board and there's still the €7 delivery \ admin charge.

I had put an order in last week which I was very happy with.
    But wouldn't be putting in an order at the new prices.

It’s a great idea and as fine a pub as you will have a few pints in, but I wouldn’t touch that.

Dick Macks are absolutely fleecing the situation. Also charging 10 euro for a 50ml measure of Dingle Batch 5.

Who in their right mind is going to pay pub prices (plus P&P) to drink it at home! Pure price gouging that is. Go onto the facebook groups and get a share of something better for your money.

a measure of caskmates is 8 euro and a bottle can be bought for 25 in tesco. Measure of Jameson is 5. Thats expensive for Dingle too like.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I made an order last week too, grabbed some rare ones so it was worth it. But it's disappointing to see that prices have been hiked up...

The Dunvilles 18 was actually a bargain as it's cheaper than buying by the bottle. Sold out now unfortunately.

Rew wrote: »

I reckon that lad wasn’t accused of sobriety in a long time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement