Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir efibre router and dns settings slow my internet

• 10-03-2016 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been encountering very slow browsing speeds and in the last few days pages would fail to load.

I had the router configured to use Uno Telly DNS settings so that I could see the bbc i player.
    Once I removed the setting things speeded up.
    Eir tech support said DNS shouldn't affect the speed but it seems that it does.
    Does anyone use a different DNS provider, or have similar experiences , or have recommendations for setting the router to handle DNS better.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it slow to download a large file or slow when loading pages? Using DNS that forces requests to somewhere further away will make the perceived performance a lot lower. Your ISPs DNS will respond within 5-10ms commonly, it could take 75ms to hit some random UK server.

Oh, its not just DNS, its a VPN. This will slow you way down unless its very expensive. Turn it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

thanks.
    I just switched to smartdnsproxy on a 2 week trial.
    Have configured my F1000 router with the dns setting for ireland.
    Seems to be flying now, and I get bbc just fine.
    Will keep an eye on it ans see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

ED E wrote: »
    Is it slow to download a large file or slow when loading pages? Using DNS that forces requests to somewhere further away will make the perceived performance a lot lower. Your ISPs DNS will respond within 5-10ms commonly, it could take 75ms to hit some random UK server.

Oh, its not just DNS, its a VPN. This will slow you way down unless its very expensive. Turn it off.

okla speed test was fast - 40+mb download speed - but took 20 seconds to load the page in the first place. Facebook was fast. Almost all other pages were slow or unloadable - very odd behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

From what i can tell Unotelly have been having major problems over the last few days. I also noticed similar issues and am trying an alternative. So far so good.

I assume you're talking about their "smart DNS" and not VPN service? If you google them + Netflix you'll see some comments on the FB page indicating that there's a major issue and they might not survive. So far I've had no response to my support ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 evostic

BigMoose wrote: »
    From what i can tell Unotelly have been having major problems over the last few days. I also noticed similar issues and am trying an alternative. So far so good.

I assume you're talking about their "smart DNS" and not VPN service? If you google them + Netflix you'll see some comments on the FB page indicating that there's a major issue and they might not survive. So far I've had no response to my support ticket.

Hi, do you know which cabinet you are connected to, MMT1_003 ? I may be moving to the Burkeen estate. Also looking at Sky broadband but form what I hear it may be slower (?) Thank you

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm connected to MMT1_003. I get around 85Mb down as I'm just round the corner. Nearly bought a house in Burkeen and think they get up to 50Mb as it's a bit further, but not sure as ended up closer to the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 evostic

BigMoose wrote: »
    Yes, I'm connected to MMT1_003. I get around 85Mb down as I'm just round the corner. Nearly bought a house in Burkeen and think they get up to 50Mb as it's a bit further, but not sure as ended up closer to the cab.

Many thanks BigMoose, I guess I'll see how we get on! BTW I noticed you're a Southampton fan, congrats on surviving (!) I'm from Leicester and we're currently having a bit of a "debate" over Claude Puel...!

Thanks! Shocking low points total to survive, but I'm delighted we have. I can well imagine your Puel debate! We had it most of his tenure and last year until Hughes turned up! I went over for some shockingly dull/awful games under him but he got us more points (somehow!)...

Advertisement