Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Am a bit confused......I thought you were not allowed do any spraying of rushes etc in Glas at all....or are you allowed to if you are doing the LIPP as one of your measures?
    From memory you can control rushes (only) by mechanical means i.e. weed licking or spot spraying. Noxious weeds can be controlled by spot spraying otherwise pesticides are not allowed to be used in LIPP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

KatyMac wrote: »
    Same here - fields in LIPP are in a horrible state, have a young lad coming next week with a weedlicker and I can't wait! The minute I'm out of the GLAS contract every inch of my farm is going to be sprayed. Farming by calendar dates is a cod. If you don't get topped by mid March you have to spend the next 4 months watching the rushes waving at you - hate it:(. Was looking yesterday at trees that I planted while in REPS and they are a whole lot more use to than letting weeds/rushes take over.
    I'm in a KT group and keep dodging the 'farm visit' as Green farmer says 'it would be worse than embarrasing'
    moll3 wrote: »
    Attachment not found.this is what i let the hefiers in to yesterday LIPP :mad:

Just back from moving mine to the next paddock. Sometimes during the year the grass keeps the cattle right and at other times of the year the cattle keep the grass right.
    452381.jpg

452382.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

So the Kale is well in to seed at this stage, set last year in May.

My question is that given it is a 2 year crop, and is now in seed in its second year, all natural and to plan, won't it then die off and leave nothing behind, which is natural too.

If I had an inspection in a month or 6, there will be no sign of Kale ever being set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

blue5000 wrote: »
    Just back from moving mine to the next paddock. Sometimes during the year the grass keeps the cattle right and at other times of the year the cattle keep the grass right.
    452381.jpg

452382.jpg
    jaysus no waste there,I’m trying to get the cows to eat grass that’s gone a bit strong but strip grazing and they’r not happy😊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Some of my LIPP

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Some of my LIPP

It really shows how the intensification of farming has changed the food supply for bees etc.

There is probably more flowing plants in an acre of that than in many 100 acre farms.

It is a lovely shot.

Do you have WBC how is that going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Danzy wrote: »
    Do you have WBC how is that going.

No l didnt go for WBC option. Natural clover has gone mad this year with heat anywhere that was grazed tight in the spring

WBC is in need of a wet week around here anyway. When can we cut trad hay meadow?

WBC is in need of a wet week around here anyway. When can we cut trad hay meadow?
    1st of July although representations were made to Minister Creed to bring the cutting date forward to this week to suit the good weather. He has as yet declined to allow this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭grange mac

Can you cut a lipp? Lets for argument say I want to make hay from it....but dont have hay as an option...just the LIPP...this is ground that was last grazed a year ago...so pretty wild as got zero fert....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

grange mac wrote: »
    Can you cut a lipp? Lets for argument say I want to make hay from it....but dont have hay as an option...just the LIPP...this is ground that was last grazed a year ago...so pretty wild as got zero fert....

Nope - looked it up meself there a while ago...

Req state “6. Parcels cannot be cut for hay or silage.“

• Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭endainoz

You can top LIPP after the first, cant see any issue making silage or hay from it....

I wouldn't be posting about it here, anyone can read this.

I wouldn't be posting about it here, anyone can read this.
    The EU has recently approved the use of 2 newer (high resolution) EU satellites to inspect/monitor farms under SFP/BPS and other direct payment schemes. Apparently there is no cost to DAFM.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/eye-in-the-sky-how-satellites-monitor-your-farm-378780

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Well is everyone ready to make hay sorry top the lipp tomorrow:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

I says wrote: »

79 mnutes to go until i cut the hay meadows, mower on and tractor full of diesel, cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Creed did a good job of keeping his head down for the last week. To be honest wasn’t expecting much after his handling of the glas computer glitches last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭kk.man

I says wrote: »
    There is nothing in the lipp worth taking about and only for it most would be in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Creed did a good job of keeping his head down for the last week. To be honest wasn’t expecting much after his handling of the glas computer glitches last year.

I hope all Glas farmers remember this when the next election comes around and ignore Fine Gael liken they did to us for the last week

• Registered Users Posts: 21,320 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's a bit OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Water John wrote: »
    That's a bit OTT.

Maybe, But it ain’t the first time. A lot of people still frustrated at being ignored for 6 months last year from the IT glitch. a lot of people were on their knees over it.

Have noted Creed's weakness and failures, here and on other threads. Fully accept what your's saying. Just was saying the argument over a week was a weak leg to stand on.

Sami23 wrote: »
    I hope all Glas farmers remember this when the next election comes around and ignore Fine Gael liken they did to us for the last week

The saying about Fine Gael being for people too poor for Fianna Fáil still stands.

A plague on both

kk.man wrote: »
    There is nothing in the lipp worth taking about and only for it most would be in a bad way.

Its loaves and fishes feeding the multitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Bit harsh on him perhaps. But people lost a lot of faith in him after declaring there wasn't a fodder crisis, then magically deciding there was a few hours later. Some farmers are already striving to stretch grass and he won't allow meadows cut so cows could go in to aftergrass to eat headlands and be fed silage etc there to allow paddocks a break. No word on allowing LIPP to be baled either, even that would be a help. may only be ****e in a bale but anything is better than nothing if we're going to have the same as last year.
    Yea sure, we signed up for it, but it's all about the wider picture. At this stage most of the seed heads dispersed in the first week of sun anyway. Ran after cattle through a meadow yesterday and there was grass-seeds flying. I looked like a giant grass-seed myself after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Are people not grazing there lipp? Whatever about being mad to top it, don't see how anyone would have the grass in it to make it worthwhile for cutting around here anyway...

Are people not grazing there lipp? Whatever about being mad to top it, don't see how anyone would have the grass in it to make it worthwhile for cutting around here anyway...
    Ours is grazed but regrowth isn't great. I will head out tomorrow and top the areas of king thistles otherwise leave the rest of it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Yep but with the burst of growth i'd say some folks had it grow stemmy as they couldn't keep it eaten in time. If we cut some of ours that the cows have been off the longest we'd get quite a few bales from it.

Ironically being allowed to graze the thm for an extra fortnite fcuked up the LIPP. It got too strong in that fortnite.

Lads will be talking about 2018 in 40 years time, it's the first year that global warming really hit us.

Bird cover I hope hasn't germinated yet, I see a bit that was sown on a damp field before the last rain and it's just about surviving.

Knee high spring barley headed out this week too.

Thinking strongly of leaving the stock bulls in for only 6 weeks this year and anything empty at scanning will be gone, won't be much feed for passengers this winter.

• Advertisement

It will need to continue for a while to reach 1976 levels. Water levels haven't seriously dropped yet.
    Hard to attribute one event to global warming. That is all about pattern and trend. Even then that can have long cycles.
    No doubt about global warming though.

Advertisement