Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caad X in the Bargain thread

Options
  • 13-08-2016 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

There appears to be a fair amount of interest in the Caad X post by markusz in the bargains thread. Several People have ordered.

Seeing as this will be my 2nd Caad X disc I thought I'd pass on some advise that may interest buyers who aren't familiar with the bike - it might save you some trouble.

1. Get frame protection patches immediately.
    The cables will damage the finish and even mark aluminium at the headtube. The finish on this bike is superb and you do not want to ruin it.

2. The Pro Max brakes. These will work adequately despite some online comments over the years. See this article for good advise on setting up mechanical disc brakes http://www.cxmagazine.com/mechanical-mondays-disc-brake-setup. Upgrade the front first if you are short on cash. Invest in compressionless cables and take your time installing them - it is worth it.

3. The BB30. You will see plenty of bad experiences posted about BB30 and squeaking. My own experience of several bikes with BB30 was, yes, squeaks developed. After removing the cranks and cleaning thoroughly and removing all the grease, wiping the bearing race clean and re - greasing and re-installing as per manufacturer's instructions I had no further problems - not even after the heavy rain. I would then clean and reinstall twice a year - preventive maintenance

4. The Wheels. They are basic. However, mine saw me through a winter of long miles in wet conditions and are still going strong on another bike. Keep an eye on the bearings - they are loose bearings and not sealed as well as more expensive wheels so keep them cleaned and greased.

The Caad X served me well and was probably the only bike I ever bought and thought was worth a fair bit more than I paid - and I paid near enough full price so it is a major bargain at the discounted price. Great handling and brilliant over long hours on rough roads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

I upgraded my brakes on my CAADX to the Juin Tech R1 brakes. They are hydraulic cable pull discs. I can get them for a good price if anyone is interested drop me a message. They have an upgraded version of them now the X1. Way better than the stock Promax ones as they don't really inspire any confidence when trying to stop in a CX race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

cajonlardo wrote: »
    3. The BB30. You will see plenty of bad experiences posted about BB30 and squeaking. My own experience of several bikes with BB30 was, yes, squeaks developed. After removing the cranks and cleaning thoroughly and removing all the grease, wiping the bearing race clean and re - greasing and re-installing as per manufacturer's instructions I had no further problems - not even after the heavy rain. I would then clean and reinstall twice a year - preventive maintenance
    What tool(s) did you get for this? I see a few different options on eBay including homemade looking presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

What tool(s) did you get for this? I see a few different options on eBay including homemade looking presses.

I never needed to remove the bearings on the caadx - they were perfect after nearly 3 years.Just wiped them clean and smear grease on outside. I have a homemade press made from threaded bar and large washers that worked well on 2 other cannondales.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

There appears to be a fair amount of interest in the Caad X post by markusz in the bargains thread. Several People have ordered.

Seeing as this will be my 2nd Caad X disc I thought I'd pass on some advise that may interest buyers who aren't familiar with the bike - it might save you some trouble.

1. Get frame protection patches immediately.
    The cables will damage the finish and even mark aluminium at the headtube. The finish on this bike is superb and you do not want to ruin it.

2. The Pro Max brakes. These will work adequately despite some online comments over the years. See this article for good advise on setting up mechanical disc brakes http://www.cxmagazine.com/mechanical-mondays-disc-brake-setup. Upgrade the front first if you are short on cash. Invest in compressionless cables and take your time installing them - it is worth it.

4. The Wheels. They are basic. However, mine saw me through a winter of long miles in wet conditions and are still going strong on another bike. Keep an eye on the bearings - they are loose bearings and not sealed as well as more expensive wheels so keep them cleaned and greased.

The Caad X served me well and was probably the only bike I ever bought and thought was worth a fair bit more than I paid - and I paid near enough full price so it is a major bargain at the discounted price. Great handling and brilliant over long hours on rough roads.

many thanks cajonlardo. good to hear first hand experience of it. still waiting for it to be dispatched.

58cm caadx 105 2016 at 750£ here: https://www.triuk.com/products/cannondale/cannondale-caadx-105-2016#.V7SDKfkrK70

damn it! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭PressTheButton

Cannondale CAADX Shimano Tiagra better that CAAD X 105?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoKSTa-RXQI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

What are these like to be used as a tourer? Can panniers be fit to back by any chance? Would love a dual bike

Bambaata wrote: »
    What are these like to be used as a tourer? Can panniers be fit to back by any chance? Would love a dual bike

Yep, its grand as a tourer with rack and panniers - but as with any bike with discs you need to work out how to get the rack over the brake. Lots of ideas if you do an online search. Easiest is to use a long bolt and spacer

Cheers for that, i assume it has pannier connecting points then to properly affix?

Cheers for that, i assume it has pannier connecting points then to properly affix?

" FULL REAR RACK/FENDER MOUNT & FRONT FENDER MOUNTS
    Rack and fender compatibilty makes the CAADX ready for duty as a fast commuter or winter training rig! "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭splanagan22

Just got email to say bike has been dispatched.

Just got email to say bike has been dispatched.

got the dispatch email yesterday... so exciting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Attachment not found.
    " FULL REAR RACK/FENDER MOUNT & FRONT FENDER MOUNTS
    Rack and fender compatibilty makes the CAADX ready for duty as a fast commuter or winter training rig! "

I got the Tubus Logo Evo rear rack- got a mechanic to fit it and we had to refit as it was catching the rear brake mech when in full lock. Also the spars that come with it to attach to the rear stays above the wheel are difficult to shape so we just fitted our own. The Tubus is steel so can be welded if it breaks anywhere in the world really, worth bearing in mind. The rack is designed to fit the Ortlieb Back Roller classic.

With these paired I carried two full Panniers - 40Litres - plus a two man tent and sundries in a 25L bag on top.

The front forks aren't load bearing, I attached water bottle holders there and use a handlebar bag and tube bags for tools etc.

I'd agree with the OP re setting the bike up and find the brakes very good tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Yep, its grand as a tourer with rack and panniers - but as with any bike with discs you need to work out how to get the rack over the brake. Lots of ideas if you do an online search. Easiest is to use a long bolt and spacer

not for this bike but i got a topeak disc brake specific rack in cycleways. think it's this one. just a heads up that there are disc specific racks available. it does however sit a bit wider than your standard rack.

Mine just arrived ( email dispatch confirm 3 days ago) bloody fast turnaround by westbrooks

anyway , thanks markusz , would have missed the deal without your post

Mine just arrived ( email dispatch confirm 3 days ago) bloody fast turnaround by westbrooks

anyway , thanks markusz , would have missed the deal without your post

no bother. pricespy.co.uk is a handy website. btw, what courier delivered it? or as it AnPost?

Courier, white van :)

Jeepers, thought I had set up those pro max well on my old bike- this thing arrived out of the box set up unbelievably well. I wouldn't have thought you could get that kind of power from mechanical calipers.

lovely looking bike. had to tune rear and front derailleurs... and im no expert :( Ill put a 105 52 36 chainset on it for the winter. have a set of BB30 shims from a previous bike.
    395072.jpg

markusz wrote: »
    lovely looking bike. had to tune rear and front derailleurs... and im no expert :( Ill put a 105 52 36 chainset on it for the winter. have a set of BB30 shims from a previous bike.
    395072.jpg

i know i know... big ring fail in the pic but its only a 46 anyways! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

i know i know... big ring fail in the pic but its only a 46 anyways! :p

The wheels are an absolute bastard to stick say 25-28 tyres on, I ended up snapping levers. Also I had a lot of spokes break which the seller wouldn't cover for me so spent about 80 quid getting proper spokes, might be worth checking the wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 The_Jabberwock

poochiem wrote: »
    The wheels are an absolute bastard to stick say 25-28 tyres on, I ended up snapping levers. Also I had a lot of spokes break which the seller wouldn't cover for me so spent about 80 quid getting proper spokes, might be worth checking the wheels.

Apparently, these lads are really handy.

Apparently, these lads are really handy.
    do these work or are they just a gimmick? would be handy alright. anyone else have experience of them?

The only tyres I had difficulty getting on those wheels were the Schwalbe Marathon plus and they are difficult to get on a lot of wheels when they are new. I used cable ties, about 4 each wheel, and found that straight forward

28c 4000's went on by hand, 25c Service Course, 28c Serfas and Rubinos all went on O.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Laundry_Hamper

do these work or are they just a gimmick? would be handy alright. anyone else have experience of them?

They've good reviews on Amazon - they're there as "kool stop bead jack"

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but how do people find the sizing on the Caadx? I can only find a 56cm in the price point im happy to pay. Im 6'1 and 32" inseam and ride a 58cm Supersix Hi-mod and was curious if the 56 would be ok. finding the usual advice online - everything conflicting!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but how do people find the sizing on the Caadx? I can only find a 56cm in the price point im happy to pay. Im 6'1 and 32" inseam and ride a 58cm Supersix Hi-mod and was curious if the 56 would be ok. finding the usual advice online - everything conflicting!

I'm just slightly taller than you with the same inseam and I race the 56 version

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i see there's a caad X for sale in the cycling adverts forum; is it considered kosher to discuss the ads outside the forum?
    my question would be in relation to an expected markdown on a nearly new bike; obviously influenced if you have a BTW option you're considering using.

Craig06 wrote: »
    I'm just slightly taller than you with the same inseam and I race the 56 version
    How does it feel length wise? Im more looking at this for commuting, light touring and potentially a CX race or two but more for the commuting element. Am just afraid of it feeling cramped?

It's absolutely fine. If you find it too cramped just put on a longer stem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

I'm 5 10 and I'm on a 56, if there was a 54 Id have taken it tho as cannondales tend to size large and they say size down rather than up esp on a cx bike. According to the sizing guide I should be on a 56 and I just about get away with it. Start cycles have a caadx tiagra for 800 euro inc delivery in a 56 and a 58 If that helps u out as regards size. Beautiful bike by the way, and the latest tiagra is a big upgrade on the last tiagra imo

Advertisement