Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International UCI events in US with Muslim ban?

Options
  • 29-01-2017 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I guess a lot of us are trying to figure out the implications of Trump's actions but I'm wondering how the UCI can now sanction any international evens in the US (world champs, World Tour, World Cups etc) when they are not open to all UCI countries, especially when religion is implicated.
    Is it naive to think that international sports events should be open to all competitors from the affiliated countries?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

TGD wrote: »
    I guess a lot of us are trying to figure out the implications of Trump's actions but I'm wondering how the UCI can now sanction any international evens in the US (world champs, World Tour, World Cups etc) when they are not open to all UCI countries, especially when religion is implicated.
    Is it naive to think that international sports events should be open to all competitors from the affiliated countries?

What's the fist race affected? Tour of California?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

godtabh wrote: »
    What's the fist race affected? Tour of California?

Possibly. The World paracycling champs are taking place in LA in a few weeks also.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just checked. The paras are definitely before the Tour of California. Whether there are any potential entrants from affected countries I don't know. I suspect there will be other sporting events potentially affected in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The countries in question are:
    Iran.
    Iraq.
    Syria.
    Sudan.
    Libya.
    Yemen.
    Somalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

NBC is reporting that the list may be extended and CNN says that ALL visitors may have "to disclose all websites and social media sites they visit, and to share the contacts in their cell phones."
    I can't imagine how any international sporting federation could subject athletes ans supporters to that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Not cycling related, but Mo Farah was saying he could be affected as he is Somali with dual citizenship.

#unintendedconsequences ?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Not cycling related, but Mo Farah was saying he could be affected as he is Somali with dual citizenship.

#unintendedconsequences ?

Mo lives in America.

NBC is reporting that the list may be extended and CNN says that ALL visitors may have "to disclose all websites and social media sites they visit, and to share the contacts in their cell phones."
    I can't imagine how any international sporting federation could subject athletes ans supporters to that kind of thing.

I, long ago, assumed that they already have all this information.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Mo lives in America.

True, but he is also Somali. Just saying what is being said -see here!

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/01/british-citizens-hit-donald-trumps-visa-ban

CNN says that ALL visitors may have "to disclose all websites and social media sites they visit.

Including Boards :eek:

Better be a bit more careful what I say around here.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Beasty wrote: »
    Including Boards :eek:

Better be a bit more careful what I say around here.....

I work for an American company hence the reason I've given up facebook since the election

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Mo lives in America.

And if he leaves US borders for whatever reason, he isn't being let back in as the blanket ban was just that .... blanket. Doesn't matter if you're a refugee, a green-card holder, a rockstar, politician, or a citizen with dual-nationality. If any of the afore-mentioned countries cross your passport details, you don't get granted entry, even if you have already been approved by the US.

No idea if that applies to holders of US passports. Probably, given the blunderbus approach.

#lawofunintendedconsequences

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The judiciary have reacted in the past few hours in some states effectively rendering the order either illegal or impossible to enact albeit only temporarily.

Enda is still unfortunately going to go on his DC jaunt and kiss the arse of Herr Trump in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The thread title is misleading as it's a ban on certain nationalities, not a Muslim ban (albeit Muslim countries). Christians, other denominations and those of no religion, from those countries are also affected.

Weepsie wrote: »

Enda is still unfortunately going to go on his DC jaunt and kiss the arse of Herr Trump in March.

He is probably drawing up a five point plan on how to do it too

another #lawofunintendedconsquences

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    He is probably drawing up a five point plan on how to do it too

another #lawofunintendedconsquences
    Set him up a false Boards account - get it posting the wrong sort of stuff in the "wrong" threads and they may not let him in:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Nice to see people getting animated about the Taoiseach visiting the most powerful leader of world yet when it comes to Shannon Airport being used by American military we all of a sudden go quiet. If Enda does go he should tell Trump exactly how we feel about that base and how America treats neutral Nations. By the way we are not in NATO so why should we care that Trump regards it as obsolete.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Trump is an absolute disgrace on every level.
    Not only is he a rug wearing, Orange, teeny handed, tiny weinered, badly dressed, obese bigot with appalling taste, but he has the politics of Mussolini without even being able to get the trains running on time.
    I love America and many things American. One of my prize possessions is my winter bike, a Cannondale with Stars and Stripes livery.
    I love cinema and Scorcese, Kubrick, Tarantino et al have given me endless enjoyment and pleasure.
    NASA have stimulated my imagination and dreams since childhood and my passion of medicine is lead by American research and innovation.
    I have a dream of driving coast to coast in an open top visiting New York, Maryland, Boston, New Orleans, Colarado, San Francisco, the Rockies and California on the way.
    But there is no way I'll set foot there while that thing is in charge.
    The USA is a great country, all we hope is that it (and we) are still standing when he f*cks off into the sunset.
    Conor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

He certainly behaves like a pig in the public domain.

The thread title is misleading as it's a ban on certain nationalities, not a Muslim ban (albeit Muslim countries). Christians, other denominations and those of no religion, from those countries are also affected.

That was the bull **** way that rudi gulianni gave to trump to try make it legal and not have it back fire on them. Everyone and their granny knows it's a Muslim ban and no amount of spin from them will change that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's further backtracking on the ban; creating even more confusion as to who's in scope. now saying (and i'm probably misunderstanding this) that's it's only people from those countries who are travelling from those countries. no one seems to have a clue about what it actually means at this point.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Trump is an absolute disgrace on every level.....
    That's you on the blacklist Rob

After looking at the news this evening I felt sorry for the likesof the NYPD at JFK airport who are controlling the protests. I'm sure the blacklist will be as big as the book of kells when the dust has settled

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Obama was cool
    W was a cyclist
    Clinton cared for Ireland
    Bush Snr obviously cared
    Reagan (well lets not go there)
    Carter did great work after
    Ford ended the Vietnam war
    Nixon keeps comedians in work to this day
    I could go on...

Only Trump will be the president who'll have nada on the credit side

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of past presidents, this is how many days each were in office before they hit a majority disapproval in gallup polls:
    reagan - 727
    h bush - 1336
    clinton - 573
    w bush - 1305
    obama - 936
    trump - 8

RobFowl wrote: »

Only Trump will be the president who'll have nada on the credit side

This reminds me of one of my all time favourite TV moments, with me taking the Capt. Mainwaring role shouting out the current scenario version of "Don't tell him Pike" :)

That may be so but it doesn't change the topic - whether international events should go ahead in the US when some athletes are arbitrarily barred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

It's not a muslim ban, it's similar to the ban Obama put in place after a small terror attack in US in 2011. Since 2011 there's been several terror attack in EU some linked to immigrants.
    Some Irish people were prevented entry to US about 2 years ago, they were using typical irish slang about wrecking the place on facebook. Did not cut any ice with the homeland people back then and it probably won't change under Trump. The phone thing is kinda new (and dumb as they can easily track calls and texts of any they desire to do so on.)

It was OK when Russian Athletes were arbitrarily barred, now it's not?

I think you are probably referring to the ban because of the widespread state sponsored doping in Russia? If so, entirely different - not arbitary at all. Or was it the Olympic 'boycot' going back a good bit? , which I believe was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not a muslim ban, it's similar to the ban Obama put in place after a small terror attack in US in 2011. Since 2011 there's been several terror attack in EU some linked to immigrants.

Some Irish people were prevented entry to US about 2 years ago, they were using typical irish slang about wrecking the place on facebook. Did not cut any ice with the homeland people back then and it probably won't change under Trump. The phone thing is kinda new (and dumb as they can easily track calls and texts of any they desire to do so on.)

It's not okay for a country to spend 4 + decades completely destabilising entire regions of the world, creating power vacuums, installing puppet governments, preach faux ideological boll0x and create a fear among their own people of a threat that is not nearly as bad as people would lead to believe. They don't have wars, they have interventions.

It happened close to 100 years ago with the first Red Scare and then reared it's head again a few times. It's not anti-Muslism, or anti-Islam. It's just plain old nativism. It's the go to mindset of a country that seems to need an "ism" to rally against at the shortest notice.

They have such a strange mix of Isolationist ideals and the belief they are the greatest nation on earth that must lead the others. They've picked and chosen parts of these schools of though and married them to some Manifest Desitny sh!te to create arguably one of the biggest basket case places in the world.

And the Russian athletes thing was completely different, albeit unfairly blanket banned some possible clean athletes.

Advertisement