Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draytek Vigor 130, Eircom, Connection regularly drops in the early hours

Options
  • 13-06-2017 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, anyone with any experience or advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated

The setup I have is DSL connection into Draytek Vigor 130, which is bridging to a Ubiquity Edgerouter X. According to the Modem GUI the VDSL line profile is 17A

Setup works great apart from in the early hours of the morning (not at the exact same time) the PPPoE connection will drop, and it will only come back up if I reset the PPPoE connection on the Router, or reset the Modem/Router. For the rest of the day/night it will generally run perfect, but occasionally there may be a drop in the daytime.

I have spoken to Eircom and they are happy that the line is running fine. Engineer has checked it out.

Ubiquiti, after checking logs, are happy that the router is running well and are pointing the finger at the modem, suggesting that this may be the issue. Suggesting that the modem is losing the PPPoE connection.

Has anyone any experience with Draytek products, or has been in a similar situation?

With the Draytek modem there are 8 variations of the firmware available dependent on VDSL Annex type, and VDSL2 version?
    Draytek support have suggested trying each one, which i am, but that feels like pot luck. Would any one have any advice with regards to that?
    I tried Eircom support but they could provide me with no further information.

Also, there isn't an alarm linked to the phone line, so that isn't causing any interference.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Does the sync ever drop, or only the ethernet link?

Ask Eir support for the disconnect code on their "RADIUS" logs. That hints to why its happening.

Have you tried using IPoE or do you have a static IP from Eir?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I've briefly used the Vigor 130 before but have given up on it ever working with whatever vectoring here so it never achieved full speeds.
    Went to a bridged Eir F2000.

I never had a dropout problem with it though, was always stable unless there was a physical line problem.

Are you using the latest firmware from draytek.co.uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 glinch5

ED E wrote: »
    Does the sync ever drop, or only the ethernet link?

On the Modem the DSL connection appears to still be up.

It appears to be the link between the modem and the router, the PPPoE connection appears to drop.
    From Ubiquity support (the router manufacturer):

"I am most concerned about these messages:

May 31 12:15:36 ubnt pppd[1465]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
    Jun 1 10:29:48 ubnt pppd[1988]: Connection terminated: no multilink.
    Jun 1 10:29:48 ubnt pppd[1988]: Modem hangup

These indicate that there is a problem with the renegotiation and that the PADO (offer) requests are not reaching the ER."

also

"You are using PAP authentication credentials, but these are never shown in the logs. Instead the connection moves from LCP to IPCP without authentication."

Ask Eir support for the disconnect code on their "RADIUS" logs. That hints to why its happening.

The disconnect code that Eir gave me is 'User request', which suggests its on the User side, hardware in the LAN.

Have you tried using IPoE or do you have a static IP from Eir?

I havent tried anything except PPPoE (modem offers PPPoE or MPoA)

Yes the client has a Static IP.

I've briefly used the Vigor 130 before but have given up on it ever working with whatever vectoring here so it never achieved full speeds.
    Went to a bridged Eir F2000.

Speed seems to be fine when its up. Will the F2000 suffer a bit if the devices connected to the LAN start exceeding 20+ ?
    Are you using the latest firmware from draytek.co.uk?

Yep, using the latest firmware and working my through the different variations that they have - to no avail, performance remains the same

This is is from the latest firmware docs (I cant post a link), and shows the diff firmware variations available.

Its a little past my current understanding as to what the VDSL2 versions relate to Eircom Ireland.
    Eircom support can't (wont?) give me this info.

"
    File and Modem Code

(1)For Annex A Model,
     VDSL2 548006 & ADSL 544401 (Standard)
     VDSL2 547916 & ADSL 544411 will be used for Modem 1.
     VDSL2 550e06 & ADSL 551001 will be used for Modem 2.
     VDSL2 551506 & ADSL 551501 will be used for Modem 3.
     VDSL2 576d17 & ADSL 572801 will be used for Modem 4 (G.Vectoring).
     VDSL2 571a17 & ADSL 570111 will be used for Modem 5 (G.Vectoring)
    recommended for Netherland ISP - KPN.
     VDSL2 572d07 & ADSL 570e01 will be used for Modem 6 (G.Vectoring)
     VDSL2 567517 & ADSL 562301 will be used for Modem 7(G.Vectoring)
    recommended for Germany DT.
     VDSL2 579f17 & ADSL 573f01 will be used for Modem 8 (G.Vectoring)
    recommended for Australia NBN.

(2)For Annex B Model,
     VDSL2 548006 & ADSL 544512 (Standard)
     VDSL2 542016 & ADSL 535112 will be used for Modem 1.
     VDSL2 533d06 & ADSL 535902 will be used for Modem 2.
     VDSL2 548006 & ADSL 544512 will be used for Modem 3.
     VDSL2 573307 & ADSL 571c02 will be used for Modem 4 (G.Vectoring).
     VDSL2 565607 & ADSL 567002 will be used for Modem 5, 6(G.Vectoring)
     VDSL2 567617 & ADSL 567212 will be used for Modem 7(G.Vectoring) recommended for Germany DT.
    "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

glinch5 wrote: »
    Speed seems to be fine when its up. Will the F2000 suffer a bit if the devices connected to the LAN start exceeding 20+ ?

Bridge the F2000 to the Ubiquiti router. They're bulletproof and Eir support them (though not in bridge mode, but you'll get more help from their support by using the product they recommend). I'm using one here with a Mikrotik router.

Bridge the F2000 to the Ubiquiti router. They're bulletproof and Eir support them.

This is looking like the only option. I have a few more firmware variations to go through, if they don't work will have to try the above.

How many devices are you running on your LAN?
    There could potentially be 50+ on the one I am having issues with.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

That would be more of an issue for the Ubiquiti in your scenario I'd imagine.

Ignore the draytek for the moment, it shouldn't be the cause. The user request says its the PPP endpoint giving up, if it was isolated eir would get "NAS error" or the like.

Id be looking to set a 23:59 renewal time on the PPP link if available to circumvent the loss of lease.

BTW eirs RAS has a weird bug with static addresses that causes it to fail 1-8 calls before accepting the link. Potentially this is tripping the Ubi.

This is looking like the only option. I have a few more firmware variations to go through, if they don't work will have to try the above.

How many devices are you running on your LAN?

The amount of devices will not matter to a bridged device as long as your router is up to the job.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the feedback everybody, appreciated.

I am going to try and change the renewal times and get back in touch with the manufacturers of the Router, Ubiquity.

This is the log from the PPPoE interface on the router. Once the connection drops it just loops the last line: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x5 <mru 1492> <magic 0x6a7f68c6>]

Would the failure to create IPv6 connection cause the link to go down?

Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <mru 1492> <magic 0xbc24f456>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <mru 1492> <magic 0xbc24f456>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xc2 <mru 1492> <magic 0x711eafbd>]
    lcp_reqci: returning CONFACK.
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0xc2 <mru 1492> <magic 0x711eafbd>]
    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0xbc24f456]
    peer from calling number 00:D0:F6:C9:5E:F9 authorized
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns1 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns3 0.0.0.0>]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x9e <addr 86.***.***.***>]
    ipcp: returning Configure-ACK
    sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x9e <addr 86.***.***.***>]
    rcvd [IPV6CP ConfReq id=0x1c <addr fe80::02d0:f6ff:fec9:5d80>]
    Unsupported protocol 'IPv6 Control Protovol' (0x8057) received
    sent [LCP ProtRej id=0x2 80 57 01 1c 00 0e 01 0a 02 d0 f6 ff fe c9 5d 80]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr 86.***.***.***> <ms-dns1 159.134.0.1> <ms-dns3 159.134.0.2>]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr 86.***.***.***> <ms-dns1 159.134.0.1> <ms-dns3 159.134.0.2>]
    rcvd [IPV6CP TermReq id=0x1d]
    sent [LCP ProtRej id=0x3 80 57 05 1d 00 04]
    rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x711eafbd]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr 86.***.***.***> <ms-dns1 159.134.0.1> <ms-dns3 159.134.0.2>]
    ipcp: up
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-pre-up started (pid 30773)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-pre-up finished (pid 30773), status = 0x0
    local IP address 86.***.***.***
    remote IP address 86.***.***.***
    primary DNS address 159.134.0.1
    secondary DNS address 159.134.0.2
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 30828)
    rcvd [IPV6CP TermReq id=0x1e]
    sent [LCP ProtRej id=0x4 80 57 05 1e 00 04]
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 30828), status = 0x0
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x8b <mru 1492> <magic 0x6e766217>]
    ipcp: down
    Connect time 1374.3 minutes.
    Sent 221086873 bytes, received 807189600 bytes.
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down started (pid 24638)
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x5 <mru 1492> <magic 0x6a7f68c6>]
    lcp_reqci: returning CONFACK.
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x8b <mru 1492> <magic 0x6e766217>]
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0xc3]
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0xc3]
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished (pid 24638), status = 0x0
    ... repeats last line

Hi

Would anyone know why there is no PAP or CHAP authentication going on with the PPPoE connection with Eircom? Do I actually need to use PPPoE, could I just use static IP address and DNS settings?

Hi

Would anyone know why there is no PAP or CHAP authentication going on with the PPPoE connection with Eircom? Do I actually need to use PPPoE, could I just use static IP address and DNS settings?

You're authenticated by your CSI, not your credentials.

You're authenticated by your CSI, not your credentials.
    Sorry ED E, I'm not sure what CSI is. Tried Googling it but couldn't find anything.

EDIT: IS it "customer service instance"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I haven't used PPPoE on EdgeMax, only Mikrotik but are you sure there isn't any dial on demand setting ticked?

I haven't used PPPoE on EdgeMax, only Mikrotik but are you sure there isn't any dial on demand setting ticked?

No, that doesn't appear to be an option. Checking the forums/docs I don't believe that it is set.

Sorry ED E, I'm not sure what CSI is. Tried Googling it but couldn't find anything.

EDIT: IS it "customer service instance"?

Caller Station ID.

Basically your modem is your end. The DSLAM is OpenEirs end of the same cable. It inserts your CSI into outbound frames so that the Eir RAS knows which port (and thus which landline by association) on the DSLAM you came from. This is looked up against your eir profile to authenticate you.

eg: CRA1_R1.S1.LT7.22 -> ACC Num -> Active or Inactive(bill paid) and IP or pool.

So eir get hundreds of thousands of calls from "eircom@eircom.net" "broadband1" but each sub is uniquely identified by their CSI.

With other providers each CPE is provisioned with unique credentials and the CSI is ignored. From a retail perspective its easier in that you dont have to reference wholesale information (Port strings) but has the downside that a reset unit can wipe vital credentials.

Anyways, totally long winded explanation.

Caller Station ID.

Basically your modem is your end. The DSLAM is OpenEirs end of the same cable. It inserts your CSI into outbound frames so that the Eir RAS knows which port (and thus which landline by association) on the DSLAM you came from. This is looked up against your eir profile to authenticate you.

eg: CRA1_R1.S1.LT7.22 -> ACC Num -> Active or Inactive(bill paid) and IP or pool.

So eir get hundreds of thousands of calls from "eircom@eircom.net" "broadband1" but each sub is uniquely identified by their CSI.

With other providers each CPE is provisioned with unique credentials and the CSI is ignored. From a retail perspective its easier in that you dont have to reference wholesale information (Port strings) but has the downside that a reset unit can wipe vital credentials.

Anyways, totally long winded explanation.

Not long winded at all cheers, thanks a million for the info.

Every time PPPoE drops the logs always show the following looping continuosly (but with a different magic number):
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x5 <mru 1492> <magic 0xf1066957>]

This
    id=0x5

is the same in all the logs on each day. Is this something to do with the 6th attempt at a ConfReq not getting a response causing the router to play up?

This all sounds like a protocol level bug. You can take any off the shelf unit and link up fine to the eir RASs. I doubt theyve changed anything as load is all moving to the NGA aggregators.

If its attempt limit is six ask Ubiq if that can be doubled (one assumes its buried in an airos conf).

• Advertisement

Have you tried the F2000 in bridge mode?

Have you tried the F2000 in bridge mode?

No I didnt try it, maybe a bit of pig headedness on my part.
    I think the issue isn't the modem, it seems to be working well and speeds are a little bit faster than when using the Eircom Router.

Have spoke to Draytek support and they are pointing the finger at the Ubiquity Router, and I think that is probably correct. (and going with what ED E says above)

If I bridged the F2000 I'd still have the same problem I would imagine?

Yep but it would confirm the issue is with the Ubi. Belts and braces kinda thing.

If I bridged the F2000 I'd still have the same problem I would imagine?

It's the place to start

Yes, you are both right. Will have to give it a try when I can next get on to the site.

Router manufacturer (Ubiquiti) have highlighted this issue now as a bug.

As a workaround, I placed a script here (which is ran when the PPPoE connection goes down):
    /config/scripts/ppp/ip-down.d

which clears the PPPoE interface.

Does the job until the bug is fixed and the new firmware is replaced. Was a pain getting to this point though I must admit.

Cheers for all help and advice on this thread. Will have a bit more respect for F2000 router when on jobs, although the Draytek appears to be working well.

And if anyone is interested I had good results using _modem4 firmware on the Draytek Vigor 130.

Thanks for the follow up, must add that nugget to the VDSL2 modem thread :)

Advertisement