Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to connect to farmers private fibre line

• 06-09-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Just recently moved into our new build in the sticks.
    About 8km from nearest exchange so cant get internet from this.
    Have Imagine currently and they are ok (Hit and miss in evenings due to contention).

I was speaking to neighbour and he pointed out that the farmer down the road dug trenches a few years back and brought fibre out to his farm from the nearest town. (nearest exchange I assume which is about 8km).
    It's a huge pig/cattle/sheep and tillage farm, over 1000 pigs and various other animals.

I noticed there is a eircom manhole cover very close to the outside of our boundary. It's a quite country road.

Is this something a farmer would pay for? Would it not be hugely expensive?
    How likely is it that it's a dedicated fibre connection to the exchange?

Just curious if anyone has heard of this before.

I'm going to try get in contact with farmer and find out more....with the hope that he might let me get a connection off the line if that's even possible.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

rodge123 wrote: »
    Just recently moved into our new build in the sticks.
    About 8km from nearest exchange so cant get internet from this.
    Have Imagine currently and they are ok (Hit and miss in evenings due to contention).

I was speaking to neighbour and he pointed out that the farmer down the road dug trenches a few years back and brought fibre out to his farm from the nearest town. (nearest exchange I assume which is about 8km).
    It's a huge pig/cattle/sheep and tillage farm, over 1000 pigs and various other animals.

I noticed there is a eircom manhole cover very close to the outside of our boundary. It's a quite country road.

Is this something a farmer would pay for? Would it not be hugely expensive?
    How likely is it that it's a dedicated fibre connection to the exchange?

Just curious if anyone has heard of this before.

I'm going to try get in contact with farmer and find out more....with the hope that he might let me get a connection off the line if that's even possible.
    :)

Anyone, anywhere within reason can purchase a corporate fibre line from Eir or any other operator. It is usually delivered by OpenEir, BT or Enet. I have seen them delivered in fairly rural areas, costs might be €1,000 - €5,000 install, monthly might be €600 - €1200, just to get an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its a big business then they could afford a BIP circuit.

Technically its very likely against their contract to distribute access to their connection to persons outside the business. OpenEir/the OLO would want a bigger cheque to let you become a provider. When its a home user sharing with the granny flat nobody cares, but when its a business with paperwork involved it becomes less likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

How far are you from the farmer's buildings? I'm wondering, even if he said no problem (without factoring in the issues Ed mentioned), what you have in mind as to how you would connect from your place to his without involving considerable expense, unless ye were within WiFi range of his router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

rodge123 wrote:
    Is this something a farmer would pay for? Would it not be hugely expensive? How likely is it that it's a dedicated fibre connection to the exchange?

Possible but so hugely expensive I'd be very dubious.

But if you can talk to anyone on the farm then suggest seeing up a cheap directional antenna WiFi link for some remuneration. I understand some people have even used empty Pringles cans to enhance the signal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    How far are you from the farmer's buildings? I'm wondering, even if he said no problem (without factoring in the issues Ed mentioned), what you have in mind as to how you would connect from your place to his without involving considerable expense, unless ye were within WiFi range of his router.

Farm is a good 300/400m across fields from us.
    Suppose what I had in mind was getting a connection where manhole is outside our boundary beside road, we actually have empty phone/fibre ducting in place close to this point from the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

rodge123 wrote: »
    Farm is a good 300/400m across fields from us.
    Suppose what I had in mind was getting a connection where manhole is outside our boundary beside road, we actually have empty phone/fibre ducting in place close to this point from the house.

I suspect that manhole would be part of the provider's network and wouldn't be available to anyone even if the farmer told you to go ahead. I could be wrong, but I can't see you being able to 'tap in' there without the provider arranging it with the expense associated with that.

In theory and with a good budget and his permission, I suspect you could run your own fibre underground for the 300-400 metres from the farmer's premises to your house. Both ends of that fibre would then need a fibre repeater that would present an ethernet connection to which your internal router could be connected.

Perhaps the directional antenna approach may work. I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I find that story very hard to believe.

It's the type of thing someone hears and adds to it. The story started out with "I hear Jim down in mulligans old place was having a spot of bother with his Eircom homewatch alarm so David, you know, Mary's finnertys son who works for Eircom got a new line installed"

That turned copper line turned into a full fibre line ran 8km (I think the costs outlined here are way off) after a few pints and local shop talk "did you see yer man in his new 171 jeep, you know he has a fibre line into the house"

I could of course be wrong and the farmer may know someone in Eir or is just really into having fast internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It may not have been that expensive, this was BTs one :

5NXTmA2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

gctest50 wrote: »
    It may not have been that expensive, this was BTs one :

5NXTmA2.png

This was from the UK and if I remember correctly, they had to stop offering it as they underpriced it.

Current Pricing
    https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucFf0dXUIWK4XSAplAmgrRZNg5Pk+5/+kRgB7BL4KNYn/lKx2YB4Qe6YShZ82RgLO GLsH2e9+mw==

I could also have misremembered that this was mandated by the UK government, open reach were forced to offer this and kicked up a fuss about doing so.

I just can't see anyone here in Ireland getting a 8km fibre line installed for less than €20-50k.

I know we have some lads close to ISPs on here so maybe they can comment

you could do this :

• Advertisement

Advertisement