Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could there ever be tall skyscrapers in Dublin?

Options
  • 04-01-2018 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

As above.

Could there ever be skyscrapers like the Shard or Canary Wharf in London or one WTC in NYC?

I'm talking about nice tall buildings that would be about 80 - 100 storeys tall. Or a building with a symbolic height like 1916 feet.

Maybe in the Docklands or IFSC.

Would this ever be possible?

What do you think?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ever? Yes there could - "ever" is a long time

In my lifetime? Probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

When I stage my coup I'll build a 250 story high dungeon for political and financial prisoners hell I'll probably need 3

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When I stage my coup I'll build a 250 story high dungeon for political and financial prisoners hell I'll probably need 3
    A 250 storey dungeon? That's going to require a lot of digging

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Uranium

There's a proposed 22 story building on Tara street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Tall buildings housing many people or large office space leading to better provision of services, a modern identity, better public transport and higher quality of life due to less time commuting won't happen as the something something skyline something something need semi detached houses in the city something something the homeless not in my back yard brigade, have too much of a say in urban planning. Build up the docklands and Heuston areas not Shard height but 30-40 story buildings would do the job of addressing our urban sprawl and poor public transport provision.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Sure don't we have the spire? is that not good enough for ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

hu4356 wrote: »
    Maybe in the Falklands or IFSC.

Bit of a commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We tried to live in towers but all that happened was chronic heroin addiction and horses taking over the lifts

Bit of a commute?

Not really - by the time a 250 storey building is built in Dublin the Falklands will probably be a 20 minute space flight away

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hu4356

I meant the Docklands, not the Falklands.

The tallest building in Dublin ATM is the Google HQ. Surely we can build something better than that.

Like I said, something like the Shard would be a good development.

Out of curiosity how much would a 100 storey modern skyscraper cost to build in Dublin? Are there any current regulations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

We tried to live in towers but all that happened was chronic heroin addiction and horses taking over the lifts

So the mane problem were the neighbors?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Isn't the new Spencer dock development going to be 28 stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Uranium wrote: »

Hardly massive and that will be rejected this month. Almost positive it will.
    To answer the op, nope too much nimbysism and fear of anything daring height wise for developers to bother.
    Limerick or cork on the other hand could be contenders, limerick not to Dubai scales obviously but already they have planning permissions for a few 15 storeys along the river which suit limerick well.
    Cork soon will have the 40 storey tower sent for approval and from the looks of it that is going to be approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Will nobody think of the pigeons?

Stheno wrote: »
    Isn't the new Spencer dock development going to be 28 stories?

Spencer place or do you mean capital dock? The latter is 23 but the way it's coming out looks terrible with the brick work

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's inevitable unless people want to commute from Dublin's newest suburb Mullingar.

But there will have to be some serious change in attitudes in An Bord Pleanala, Dublin City Council, Dáil Eireann and some of the local NIMBYs.

Much of the land in the docklands was wasted by being limited to 6-8 storey boxes by DCC. There were 2-4 corners where slightly taller buildings were allowed. Not much scope for good architecture.

We'll see if Minister Murphy's new laws on apartments will force DCC and ABP's hand on residential buildings this year.
    Uranium wrote: »

Rejected by Dublin City Council for its height despite being within the height limit set by DCC's own Local Area Plan. Currently on appeal with ABP.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bear1 wrote: »
    Spencer place or do you mean capital dock? The latter is 23 but the way it's coming out looks terrible with the brick work

The massive development across from the three arena?

Peregrine wrote: »
    It's inevitable unless people want to commute from Dublin's newest suburb Mullingar.

But there will have to be some serious change in attitudes in An Bord Pleanala, Dublin City Council, Dáil Eireann and some of the local NIMBYs.

Much of the land in the docklands was wasted by being limited to 6-8 storey boxes by DCC. There were 2-4 corners where slightly taller buildings were allowed. Not much scope for good architecture.

We'll see if Minister Murphy's new laws on apartments will force DCC and ABP's hand on residential buildings this year.

Rejected by Dublin City Council for its height despite being within the height limit set by DCC's own Local Area Plan. Currently on appeal with ABP.

The rejection was appealed to abp who were supposed to decide at the end of November but it's been postponed to end of January so we will know soon if it will go ahead.
    But as with all things Irish it can easily be appealed further so it's no guarantee that even if abp overturn the council's decision that it will be built.
    Case in point, Apple and Athenry.

Capital Dock. One of two sites in the docklands where anything that tall is allowed. And both sites were capped at around 80-85m off the top of my head. The rest is capped at 6-8 storeys with the exception of Bolands Quay which can rise up to 50m and one or two sites where something like 13 storeys is allowed.

Thats capital dock.
    Behind the 3 there will be the exo building which will be taller but I've no idea why it hasn't started yet even though it has been approved.
    Bolands mill has started and those 3 buildings I think are about 15 storeys.
    The waste for me is what is around the Google zone.
    Could have developed into a nice mini canary wharf but no.. 5 storeys mostly.

• Advertisement

Capital Dock. One of two sites in the docklands where anything that tall is allowed. And the bkth sides were capped at around 80-85m off the top of my head. The rest is capped at 6-8 storeys with the exception of Bolands Quay which can rise up to 50m and one or two sites where something like 13 storeys is allowed.

Amazing that the tower in clongriffen will be taller than most office buildings in the city centre...
    Cork should do well.
    They got permission for the 12 storey in the city centre, then some 10 storey near the train station.
    Then the council's own 15 or 17 storey in the centre.
    So if the 40 storey is approved then I think cork will be more high rise city wise than Dublin.

Amazing that the tower in clongriffen will be taller than most office buildings in the city centre...
    Cork should do well.
    They got permission for the 12 storey in the city centre, then some 10 storey near the train station.
    Then the council's own 15 or 17 storey in the centre.
    So if the 40 storey is approved then I think cork will be more high rise city wise than Dublin.

The Clongriffin LAP allowed that one tower (54m?). There was another apartment tower proposed up the road from that which I believe was rejected recently.

The Clongriffin LAP allowed that one tower (54m?). There was another apartment tower proposed up the road from that which I believe was rejected recently.

There is another tower somewhere in Dublin that began during the crash and they never finished it.
    I know that was given approval a few months back which I think axa bought.
    Can't think of the name for it now.

Sorry, it was chopped down from around 16 storeys to a more agreeable 6 storeys by DCC.
    There is another tower somewhere in Dublin that began during the crash and they never finished it.

The Sentinel in Sandyford?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The sentinel in Sandyford?

There were two. One got approved, the other was reduced to 6 storeys IIRC. I'll double check in a while when I get to a computer.

Edit: ref 2648/17

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There are plenty of high rise apartment/condo buildings all over the world & the quality of life in them can be exceptional. I know, because I used to live in one. Just because the Dublin Corporation made a piss poor job of urban planning with the Ballymun Flats in the 1960's, it doesn't mean that every single high development is doomed to failure for ever more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It would look at bit silly poking into the cloud cover with a low rise city surrounding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

We couldn't even approve a 4 sided stadium in Dublin so the chance of getting something like canary wharf or the shard approved would be virtually zero.

It's a pity because the docklands was prime real estate to build 30-40 story buildings and more office space which city is lacking

Advertisement