Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD to re-designate more than 170 toilets as gender neutral (Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Traditional gender role disputing people get a disproportionate amount of coverage. In reality they represent such a tiny minority, they should barely be mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Out of curiosity, do they get rid of the urinals when toilets go gender neutral or how does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Omackeral wrote: »
    Are the bathrooms in your house divided into male and female? How do you cope if not!?

The aren’t communal multi occupancy toilets.

Is the university redesigning these toilets or just slapping a gender neutral sign on them?

Actually the Irish times didn’t show a multi occupancy toilet. It looked like a disabled toilet with added signage. They were always single occupancy and therefore gender neutral.

Any from UCD know what’s going on with larger toilets? Are they sticking a transgender sign on male urinal spaces? And female toilets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There's only one big toilet
    5dazlg323ccy.png

Brian? wrote: »
    That’s it. Now you have it. The minute and a half they took to decide this could have saved UCD from educational oblivion.

There is no way, NO WAY, they could do anything else when they were deciding th gender neutral toilets. I’m surprised the university didn’t shut down for the week, given that the entire administration was required for this one decision. It must have been a dark, anarchic week out there.
    Yeah it was just the minute and a half, it's not like it's been used as a major issue distraction for a few years at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Also do the transgender changing facilities cater for all types of trans? Seems weird to lump them all together.

The alternative is hundreds of individual toilets for each identifying factor with more being added all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

padser wrote: »
    I've decided I identify as female when I'm showering, so I'll be using the female changing facilities from now on.

I'm a lesbian when I'm a female, so don't mind my massive hard on - that's to be expected.

And don't anyone presume to have the right to tell me that I am either not a woman, or that I can't use the female changing facilities.

You go girl !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sure tis grand, more places to go for a slash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

I have always lived in a house with a gender neutral toilet with no issues at all

Rhyme wrote: »
    The alternative is hundreds of individual toilets for each identifying factor with more being added all the time.
    Or just having male and female toilets as there has been til now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Meanwhile yesterday another illegal immigrant, Eygptian, surprise, surprise has been convicted of rape. He sexually assaulted a woman on a bus, followed her off the bus, told her he would give her the best ten minutes of her life and raped her.

Now we can have this filth pretending to be transgender so they can wander around ucds changing rooms including the private rooms which are communal. The public ones have cubicles at least.

Will UCD accept responsibility if a woman is raped by a man pretending to be transgender, do ciswomen as the trans community refer to women who were born female have any say in whats happening in their space. The trans lobby must be very vocal, they are a teeny minority and we are accommodating and yoelding a lot to suit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Out of curiosity, do they get rid of the urinals when toilets go gender neutral or how does it work?

I'm my uni days, the students union (not the bar) had unisex toilets with urinals in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

This is the question lads should be asking, because if their idea of "gender neutral" or however they're describing it means replacing urinals with cubicals, there's gonna be a lot more walls getting used as urinals in UCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That sexy blond girl from Commerce won’t be so sexy after you hear the noise coming from her arse in the cubicle next to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

tretorn wrote: »
    Meanwhile yesterday another illegal immigrant, Eygptian, surprise, surprise has been convicted of rape. He sexually assaulted a woman on a bus, followed her off the bus, told her he would give her the best ten minutes of her life and raped her.

Now we can have this filth pretending to be transgender so they can wander around ucds changing rooms including the private rooms which are communal. The public ones have cubicles at least.

Will UCD accept responsibility if a woman is raped by a man pretending to be transgender, do ciswomen as the trans community refer to women who were born female have any say in whats happening in their space. The trans lobby must be very vocal, they are a teeny minority and we are accommodating and yoelding a lot to suit them.

Yep. Men never raped women before they could pretend to be women. And Irish men definitely never rape women. Never.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If urinals are removed, it slows down the whole process.

Compare the women's bathroom with the men's bathroom in a nightclub or pub.

The women's bathroom has a lengthy queue out the door. The men's bathroom has a constant flow (excuse the pun).

Men's bathrooms are a model of efficiency. Hygiene is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    If urinals are removed, it slows down the whole process.

Compare the women's bathroom with the men's bathroom in a nightclub or pub.

The women's bathroom has a lengthy queue out the door. The men's bathroom has a constant flow (excuse the pun).

Men's bathrooms are a model of efficiency. Hygiene is another matter.

Yeah that would be my concern. If it there were no urinals, it would stall the process.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    This is the question lads should be asking, because if their idea of "gender neutral" or however they're describing it means replacing urinals with cubicals, there's gonna be a lot more walls getting used as urinals in UCD

There’s two practical issues isn’t there.

1) getting rid of urinals.
    2) shared communal spaces for men and women.

Biological men and women of course.

This hasn’t affected the wider world yet. When it does there will be a reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

McGaggs wrote: »

I'm my uni days, the students union (not the bar) had unisex toilets with urinals in it.

If it is in an individual room with both a regular toilet and a urinal which can be used by only one person at a time, it defeats the purpose of the urinal (which would be to take up less space than a full toilet and increase speed/capacity).
    If it is urinal(s) in a public area of the toilets ... clearly not gonna work. Bar some exibitionists, lads don’t want the ladies to look at them while they are doing their thing, and most ladies wouldn’t enjoy the sight very much either.

So toilets with urinals are a male only toilets or are pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

I wouldn’t really be bothered by this tbh. Anyone of a certain vintage who remembers the sulphuric sandpaper toilet roll that used to be used there would welcome someone taking an interest in the toilets

Brings back memories of a public sector organization I worked for long ago. The place was a misandrists dream in many ways :( however due to expansion the small number of male toilets was inadequate (and below guidelines). Management suggested things like going over to another office to pee which we were having none of. Eventually one of the men suggested that all the toilets (which were individual rooms, lockable doors etc) could be made gender neutral. Management (and one in particular) hit the roof at the prospect- legal implications, would never fly etc...

Yeah, great place to work that....

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The men's bathroom has a constant flow (excuse the pun).

Oh I excuse you, you actually made me laugh ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Rhyme wrote: »

Was the topic of a recent Ross O'Carroll-Kelly sketch where his daughter decided to keep pressuring her school to install more and more toilet space for different gender identities (most of which she made up) to see how far they'd go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Can I now walk into any toilet I want to in UCD. Cool.

On a totally separate note - anybody know where I can buy hidden cameras online?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

This will last a week as the queue for the single sex ladies toilets gets out of control. The queue will include the female element of the ideologues who have called for this. (Their so called aim having being achieved).Most men won't like it either as demonstrated by mens attitude when desperate women occasionally use the mens in over packed pubs.
    Typical PC bull****. Annoy everyone as they ignore people's wishes and convention just to make a non thought through, ideologically driven, purist, non realistic, garbage trendy point. This is only supported by a tiny minority and a cowardly college administration.

quintana76 wrote: »
    This will last a week as the queue for the single sex ladies toilets gets out of control. The queue will include the female element of the ideologues who have called for this. (Their so called aim having being achieved).Most men won't like it either as demonstrated by mens attitude when desperate women occasionally use the mens in over packed pubs.
    Typical PC bull****. Annoy everyone as they ignore people's wishes and convention just to make a non thought through, ideologically driven, purist, non realistic, garbage trendy point. This is only supported by a tiny minority and a cowardly college administration.

There won't be any single sex ladies toilets that men can't use. Men can just self determine as women and are therefore free to use those toilets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Can we still call them The Jacks or not or will we get in trouble for doing that?

AllForIt wrote: »
    Can we still call them The Jacks or not or will we get in trouble for doing that?

Huh? Women call it the Jacks aswell

BattleCorp wrote: »

There won't be any single sex ladies toilets that men can't use. Men can just self determine as women and are therefore free to use those toilets.

I am not sure about that. They could keep male and female toilets while adding a third category which is “gender neutral” (ie unisex). For exemple see the picture on the IT article. It would be fairly stupid alright, but it would allow them to make their political point while not breaking what is working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Not sure what all the snowflake, triggered reactions are about - we're literally talking about toilets in a college. Sure a few clubs and restaurants have been doing this for a while as a bit of a gimmick, thankfully the world didn't implode.

Though the poor lads are going to be stuck with some fecking queue they'll be unused to.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I am not sure about that. They could keep male and female toilets while adding a third category which is “gender neutral” (ie unisex). For exemple see the picture on the IT article. It would be fairly stupid alright, but it would allow them to make their political point while not breaking what is working.

But I wouldn't be compelled to use the gender neutral toilet as I could self determine as a woman.............therefore in the eyes of UCD I am a woman..........and therefore I could use the women's toilets.

I think I'm being logical here.

By the way, I'm male, not transgender, and have no intention of doing any of the above. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

AllForIt wrote: »

Either the Jacks or the Jills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

optogirl wrote: »
    Huh? Women call it the Jacks aswell
    Deep philosophical thought here - when a women says it, is it the Jacks of the Jaqs?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Deep philosophical thought here - when a women says it, is it the Jacks of the Jaqs?

Just the Jacks....the toilets themselves don't have a gender....or DO THEY? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

So on one hand, nothing is really going to happen with this. You're not going to get a mob of lads perving on wans in the jacks. Maybe a sick fùck or two, or some lad taking the piss wearing a dress and calling himself a woman for the laugh, but nothing big.

On the other hand, this weird crap is coming from a small percentage of very radical, very left wing public sector workers. In the private sector, if they end up there, they tend to end up in HR. I'll give an example. A friend of mine is working in a company where HR are trying to push a #metoo seminar to teach men to be nice to wans. That kind of craziness like.

The universities are the workplace five years into the future, give or take.

The most well known examples in the media would probably be Colm o Gorman, Katherine Zappone, Michael D Higgins, Dil Whatevertheshìtehersecondnameis, the green party leader lad and Louise O Neil, boards.ie favorite, but to be fair, at least she earns a living writing fiction, so she has a proper job there. Careerist leftists basically.

Lads, you need to tell these people to feck off like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

You know some straight drunk is going to go in and start waving his mickey around.

Are they just going to be cubicles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I wonder will this extend to shower facilities.

And shaving mirrors....

, or some lad taking the piss wearing a dress and calling himself a woman for the laugh, but nothing big.

Women don't have to wear dresses so I can't see how a lad would have to wear a dress to use the women's toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Loads of other colleges already have gender neutral bathrooms (or are in the process of doing it). No big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

patsman07 wrote: »
    My local Catholic church has had a gender neutral bathroom since the 1940s.

So they share the same bath?

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So they share the same bath?

No, that's only the priests and alter boys. Nothing to do with women. :D

Women don't have to wear dresses so I can't see how a lad would have to wear a dress to use the women's toilets.

Not just the toilets man. Changing facilities it says in that link.
    UCD is to re-designate more than 170 toilets across the entire campus as “gender neutral” and introduce transgender changing facilities at its sport centre.
    The move is part of a new university policy to provide a welcoming campus for transgender and gender-fluid students and employees.
    In addition, UCD is to allow transgender students to change their names on official university award documents and other material without the need for gender recognition certificates.
    Minister for Children and equality campaigner Katherine Zappone, who is due to launch the new policy on Thursday, has welcomed the move as another step towards “full equality for all”.
    “Our universities are drivers of change, promoters of equality and champions of justice,” she said.

Bob24 wrote: »

But I wouldn't be compelled to use the gender neutral toilet as I could self determine as a woman.............therefore in the eyes of UCD I am a woman..........and therefore I could use the women's toilets.

I think I'm being logical here.

By the way, I'm male, not transgender, and have no intention of doing any of the above. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Yes what you are saying is logical. BUT let’s not forget this is just an ideological battle and most likely just a handful of people if anyone on the UCD campus actually has personal issues with current toilet arrangements (even those who are asking for those new toilets themselves are probably in manjority not identifying as the “wrong gender” for their toilets and currently very fine).

So they main goal here is to score political points more than to fix an acrual issue. Adding a third category of toilets would be winning a first battle for those who are fighting the ideological war but at the same time would let the university keep the arrangement which works best for a vast majority of people, so this is why I don’t see it as an unlikely compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I haven't read the seven pages but don't understand how there are seven pages written about this. What's the big deal? The only slight negative I could see is that they might get rid of urinals and that might result in queues? If they're to do it right keep the urinals for anyone who wants to use them and make the bathrooms unisex otherwise.

Actually, the other problem could be if you destroy one of the toilets and get caught by a girl you fancy coming out. That would be embarrassing. And if it happened the other way around probably worse.

• Advertisement

Anyway, I was reading the article there. The changing facilities, fùck that, that's peanuts. Take a look at this quote.

Ms Zappone is also expected to announce her support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender history to be included on the school curriculum.

giphy.gif

No words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Anyway, I was reading the article there. The changing facilities, fùck that, that's peanuts. Take a look at this quote.

giphy.gif

No words.

It's funny how Zappone seems to scare the **** out of Conservatives and turn them into little snowflakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't see the problem with unisex bathrooms at all. I remember a well known club I went to in the mid 90's had them. Every place I've worked has had them. Some people panic at the idea of it. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Just pee with the cubical door open.

Walls and doors are a human construct. Everyone should be comfortable around each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I grew up with gender neutral toilets in MY OWN HOME. :mad:

How many stalls? Used you hear the ould lad groaning out a hefty when you were taking a whizz?

• Advertisement
Advertisement