Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'My drink was spiked' - The 'dog ate my homework' excuse

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Soon it'll be "But maaaammy, me cocaine was cranked with Persil"

And the mammy be ringing liveline "The cocaine was cranked with Persil, Joe"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,809 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"The most common date rape drug among college students, according to the University of Notre Dame’s Office of Alcohol and Drug Education, is alcohol itself."
    https://www.futuresofpalmbeach.com/womens-health/victim-spiked-drink/

"Alcohol is the most common substance used to spike drinks. It can be added to a soft (non-alcoholic) drink without you knowing, or double measures can be used instead of singles."
    https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/abuse/Pages/drink-spiking.aspx

So, just because people have been tested and found negative for "date rape drugs" such as tranquilisers, that doesn't mean their drink wasn't spiked.
    Nor does it mean that everyone who claimed their drink was spiked... was spiked.
    But I think this focus on tranquiliser type drugs is missing at least half the picture.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

This happened to me once. Not the kissing an aul one bit or the work party but yeah.

happened me too, wasn't a work party, and I spiked my own drink, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Wibbs wrote: »
    There was a study from a few years back(UCD IIRC I'll try and dig up a link) where they looked at toxicology reports over a two year period as far as I recall, where patients insisted their drinks were spiked and asked their bloodwork be checked. And they didn't find a single case in the results. They did find excess alcohol and other drugs, mostly cannabis, but of rohypnol etc nada.

Who has ever seen rohypnol? Seriously, I can't even imagine how you could go about getting something like that, which is besides the point that rohypnol and other similar drugs have, for years, had a dye added that changes the colour of drinks if added to them.
    I've never experienced a blackout, but like most people I suspect, I have experienced a wide variance of drunkenness with alcohol. We've all had those nights out where you've drunk 10 pints and been sober as a judge or alternatively had three beers and been falling about the place.
    It seems to me that urban legend and a culture of paranoia contributes to this persistent claim.

The most common thing a drink is spiked with is alcohol, and the most common person to do that to you is a friend with no ill intent. There are plenty of times during a night I've been handed a drink that was a 'double' without it being mentioned by some mate with a misguided sense of drunken generosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You’d have to be spiked with alcohol either extremely aggressively (which you would expect to notice) or many times over to have such a serious impact to your actions that usually end up with the ‘spiking’ excuse getting trotted out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno F, can depend on the person. Personally speaking if I have a certain amount of drinks I'm drunk, but still in control, at least of major things. I might act like a gobsh1te(more than usual anyway), but the self preservation and level of alertness to that is still present. I also know this point and would be vigilant and will go on the oul minerals from then on(or just go home). If I have another two standard drinks that level of alertness can be seriously affected. I'll be a walking zombie and a lot more vulnerable. Now if I were much younger with little enough experience of being drunk it would be easy enough for me to keep drinking, or for someone to add a couple of extra drinks into the mix. Just saying F I can see how some young fella or young wan out on the tear could tip over into that point of stupefaction.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wibbs wrote: »
    I dunno F, can depend on the person. Personally speaking if I have a certain amount of drinks I'm drunk, but still in control, at least of major things. I might act like a gobsh1te(more than usual anyway), but the self preservation and level of alertness to that is still present. I also know this point and would be vigilant and will go on the oul minerals from then on(or just go home). If I have another two standard drinks that level of alertness can be seriously affected. I'll be a walking zombie and a lot more vulnerable. Now if I were much younger with little enough experience of being drunk it would be easy enough for me to keep drinking, or for someone to add a couple of extra drinks into the mix. Just saying F I can see how some young fella or young wan out on the tear could tip over into that point of stupefaction.

That makes sense. From personal experience though, when I’ve ever heard the excuse it has generally been from females who have claimed they ‘only had a few’ and ‘should have been grand’.

Never heard ‘I knew I was close to having too much and being spiked sent me over the edge’ which is far more believable.

Advertisement