Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Kamili wrote: »
    They are notoriuously slow, and won't deal directly with the owner, you'll probably have to go though three for updates.

you might be able to find details on their website if you know the IMEI of the phone, the repair number etc.

https://www.fonfix.com/pages/repair-status-search

thanks, I checked/tracked it late last night

says "Status:Awaiting Exchange Unit"

I wonder if that means they are waiting for a part / LCD screen or main board? or whether Exchange unit means they are going to exchange it for a new Redmi Note 5 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I have to say that I'm still well happy with this phone.
    I've 2 items that make a big difference for me.

Firstly I use GCAM and the pictures are imho far superior to the stock camera.

Secondly I don't like the colour (or lack of) the screen. No matter what colour setting I choose colours are dull.
    However I have my phone rooted and using an app from XDA called sa2ration, which is for the Google pixel.
    And now my colours pop making them very pleasing to the (my) eye!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/themes/app-sa2ration-t3845851/amp/

Roll on 2020 when I'll have it 2 years and will be looking to upgrade if something happens to take my fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

clancyoo7 wrote: »
    Has anyone been having random shutdown on note 5 on miui global 10.3.2. Just wondering if I need to get a new phone or is it software related

This is ages ago now, but was this ever resolved in the end?

I developed the same problem a couple of days ago - at firstit just turned off/rebooted a few times over the course of several days. Now it has gotten so that I can't get the phone on for long enough to unlock it after a reboot, which makes me suspect that it is a hardware issue.

I can get a note 7 delivered tomorrow if I order before midnight tonight, which I probably will do in the end anyway; I'd like to keep the Note 5 as a backup phone if I can fix it, so curious if you managed to resolve the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

RTT wrote: »
    Hi folks. I'm thinking about upgrading my redmi note 5 to the redmi note 8 pro global version on honorbuy. Does anyone have it and have you any issues connecting to 4g on the 3 network? Thanks.
    Bought this on Monday. Still waiting for it to be shipped from their EU warehouse. Similar price on Amazon.de so I should have went there.

Out of the blue today - the LCD screen on my Redmi Note 5 seems to have developed a fault .

In about 20 seconds of waking up my phone now, slowly a transparent half of the screen gets covered !

I shut down the phone and restarted it and its still doing the same. That didnt last long , shall have to find the receipt. I bought it from local Three store last November/December.

I have took so much care of this phone because I really liked it, made sure I didnt abuse it or drop it and made sure I didnt get it wet and then this happens just a year old! :( - pretty pee'd off

I suppose if its still in warranty(just about if I am lucky) three will have to send it away to repair I bet. Damn it, I wonder how long I will be without it?

Well here's an update for all whether it be Three store or FonFix one (or both of them) stepped up to the mark good in the end. they couldnt repair my Note 5 under warranty so they supplied me with a Xiaomi Note Pro 6 - credit where credit is due, only issue was that it was away for repair a bit longer than I expected but at least they come out on top .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

biebiebie wrote: »
    I've 2 items that make a big difference for me.

Firstly I use GCAM and the pictures are imho far superior to the stock camera.

Secondly I don't like the colour (or lack of) the screen. No matter what colour setting I choose colours are dull.
    However I have my phone rooted and using an app from XDA called sa2ration, which is for the Google pixel.
    And now my colours pop making them very pleasing to the (my) eye!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/themes/app-sa2ration-t3845851/amp/

Roll on 2020 when I'll have it 2 years and will be looking to upgrade if something happens to take my fancy.

Can GCAM be installed on an unroofed Note 5?
    Is it available on play store or elsewhere?

Invincible wrote: »
    Can GCAM be installed on an unroofed Note 5?
    Is it available on play store or elsewhere?

is that the google Camera app?

I dont think it can be installed on normal rom or un-rooted camera .

Why not have a go at an app called Bacon Camera (weird name!) but i think its one of the best camera apps out there . lots of manual settings when installed on note 5 /6 pro phones.

biebiebie wrote: »

....Secondly I don't like the colour (or lack of) the screen. No matter what colour setting I choose colours are dull.

have you tried an app off google play called Color Calibrator ?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.halfcycle.cc&hl=en_IE

allows to change contrast and colour even on un-rooted phones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭b.gud

Speaking of Goole camera how have you guys you installed it? I've tried a few times on my rooted Note 5 running Pixel Experience but have never been able to get it to work after installation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

Set up phone Sunday night.
    Theres a Xiaomi SIM activation service notification
    "Find device" Can't activate SIM card 2

What's the story with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Asking for a friend but anyone know if these still are still selling sim-unlocked from Three Ireland?

Bought one last Christmas unlocked but staff in the local store seem to be indicating they are now locked to Three.

Can't imagine that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I got mine in July and they were still unlocked then anyway.
    It would be silly having a dual SIM phone with both locked to the same network.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got mine in July and they were still unlocked then anyway.
    It would be silly having a dual SIM phone with both locked to the same network.

Tell that to vodafone. The samsung s20e is dual sim and locked to vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Was thinking of upgrading from mi 5. What xiaomi should I look for. Preferably with wireless charging and nfc? Tia

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

robie5 wrote: »
    Was thinking of upgrading from mi 5. What xiaomi should I look for. Preferably with wireless charging and nfc? Tia

Mi 10? :D

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techradar.com/amp/news/xiaomi-mi-10-release-date-price-specs-and-everything-you-need-to-know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bought the note 8 pro last night for 232. The 10 was pricey :)

just a bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

robie5 wrote: »

If your budget allows I'd go for a MI 9
    Pretty much flagship specs with wireless charging and NFC

A load of them,choice of colours and storage, in the warehouse section on Amazon Spain 'used like new' which in my experience is a brand new item with box damage for around €360

NATLOR wrote: »

Have you bought from Amazon Spain? Do they deliver to Ireland, What's the story with returns?

Some good deals there on the Mi 9T that are tempting me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

b.gud wrote: »
    Have you bought from Amazon Spain? Do they deliver to Ireland, What's the story with returns?

Some good deals there on the Mi 9T that are tempting me

I've bought from all the European sites over the years

Just log in with your UK details delivery and returns just the same except
    no free delivery its around 8/9 euro
    Always worth checking across the different sites as prices can be quite varied

Not sure if there are any shipping restrictions with the obvious issues going on at the moment but I bought a phone from Amazon France 2 weeks ago with no problems

NATLOR wrote: »
    I've bought from all the European sites over the years

Just log in with your UK details delivery and returns just the same except
    no free delivery its around 8/9 euro
    Always worth checking across the different sites as prices can be quite varied

Not sure if there are any shipping restrictions with the obvious issues going on at the moment but I bought a phone from Amazon France 2 weeks ago with no problems

Cool thanks for the info

are chinese phones now coming with NFC now, only that used to be the only thing you couldnt get on them . My Xiaomi Note 5 and Note 6 didnt have NFC on either of them.

are chinese phones now coming with NFC now, only that used to be the only thing you couldnt get on them . My Xiaomi Note 5 and Note 6 didnt have NFC on either of them.

It depends on the phone and the market it's aimed at. For instance I had a Xiaomi Mi 5, which was aimed at the worldwide market and was considered a more premium device which had NFC. Then I switched to a Redmi Note 5 which was a newer phone but on the "lower" end of the Xiaomi spectrum but that didn't have NFC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Its not about premium or lower end markets, the Chinese do not use NFC normally so phones for their markets don't tend to have it. You need to look for Chinese phones designed for European markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Is international post still getting through to Ireland as normal? I'm in Bulgaria at the moment and they said they're not doing registered post as they have no idea how long it would take parcels to ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Mi 9T has it, and is a great phone for the price.

Its not about premium or lower end markets, the Chinese do not use NFC normally so phones for their markets don't tend to have it. You need to look for Chinese phones designed for European markets.

yep that was what I thought - I wonder if NFC is just disabled at ROM level or is the NFC hardware missing off the phones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

My redmi 5 is in need of a replacement and upgrade. Where are you all purchasing from these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Blueshoe wrote: »
    My redmi 5 is in need of a replacement and upgrade. Where are you all purchasing from these days?

Honorbuy EU warehouse.

Advertisement