Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

For those who want the cheap laugh:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    For those who want the cheap laugh:

Interesting to hear all the passing cars - nobody stopped to check if you were okay?

Hope you heal fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »
    Interesting to hear all the passing cars - nobody stopped to check if you were okay?

Thoughts and prayers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was even wincing at the damage the shifter was clearly taking there.

buffalo wrote: »

Hope you heal fast!

There was a DNG driver across the road who looked at me and then continued walking to hang up the sign. Never shouted over, never called, which I thought was weird. I wasn't down for long so I can excuse the passers by but the driver was parked and facing me as I crashed, he slowed to look but never actually stopped what he was at. I thought a normal human reaction would be to call out or call over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There was a DNG driver across the road who looked at me and then continued walking to hang up the sign. Never shouted over, never called, which I thought was weird. I wasn't down for long so I can excuse the passers by but the driver was parked and facing me as I crashed, he slowed to look but never actually stopped what he was at. I thought a normal human reaction would be to call out or call over.
    Seems strange.
    Might he have been thinking that it could turn into an insurance scam or something?

Hope you and the bike are ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ouch - heal quickly dude.

Were you crossing a white line when it went? Some obstruction (couldn't make it out) pushing you out to the centre line?

Seems strange.
    Might he have been thinking that it could turn into an insurance scam or something?

Hope you and the bike are ok now.
    I once fell a few years ago and while lying on the road, a van pulled up behind me, tutted (I had not yet got up), and then drove around me. I was down for a minute or so which is a long time until an elderly man came over to help. It would have been a stretch IMO to think it could possibly be a scam but I think its just some people are either unable to process what to do (freeze up, which is possibly what happened here) or are just a bit d1ckish.
    MojoMaker wrote: »
    Ouch - heal quickly dude.

Were you crossing a white line when it went? Some obstruction (couldn't make it out) pushing you out to the centre line?
    Its a single lane that only broadens out at the junction but alas no, the wheel went before I got to the white line, the road was just greasy after a few dry days, should have slowed with the back brake, or pulled the front one a little less hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Cargo bikes seem to be a very viable delivery method:

https://twitter.com/AsEasyAsRiding/status/1331281558104313859

I assume to some extent van and lorry drivers compensate for the parking disadvantage by parking on pedestrian and cycling infrastructure though.

Interesting points that vans are limited by the number of drops they can do in a day, so can't capitalise fully on higher load capacity.

• Advertisement

Couple of enterprising fellas I've seen around Drogheda are doing deliveries on e-bikes with trailers I assume for local businesses for online orders. Saw one taking out shoeboxes to bring into a house.

It's gas the wide births they get as drivers assume they have kids in the trailer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

No cheap laughs cramcycle,just winces.something similar happened me recently and I think any cyclist that ever happened to would be glad to hear you got away with road rash and bruising. Greasy roads can just bite you.

Looks like fun although you'd want to be sure of the surface underneath...

https://twitter.com/cyclegaz/status/1331538123717636096

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

How are you today after it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Interesting points that vans are limited by the number of drops they can do in a day, so can't capitalise fully on higher load capacity.
    I hadn't really thought of that. My working from home spot here has me looking out the front, so I'm seeing delivery vans coming and going all day long. Most of the them are Ford transit sized, and when they open the doors they're stacked high with boxes, usually Amazon. But not big ones. Ones about the size of a football.

If you think about how many of them could fit in a transit, there is no way in hell they could actually deliver a stuffed-full vanload in a single day. That'd be 100 drops.

I'm sure modern delivery systems maximise routes and all that, but even there's no way in hell a single van could make a delivery every 4 minutes on average.

As a result you end up sending out big vans a fraction full.

How are you today after it all?
    Didn't sleep great, wound is weeping and sticking to everything. On top of that I had to go for a covid test as i developed wheeziness and a cough not long after. It is just a cold, as I haven't been closer than 2m to anyone bar my family for weeks and I recall getting similar last year but nonetheless, better to play it safe. family have excommunicated me to the front of the house. Sly comments about finally being at home and managing to do even less being thrown around the place :pac:
    seamus wrote: »
    I hadn't really thought of that. My working from home spot here has me looking out the front, so I'm seeing delivery vans coming and going all day long. Most of the them are Ford transit sized, and when they open the doors they're stacked high with boxes, usually Amazon. But not big ones. Ones about the size of a football.

If you think about how many of them could fit in a transit, there is no way in hell they could actually deliver a stuffed-full vanload in a single day. That'd be 100 drops.

I'm sure modern delivery systems maximise routes and all that, but even there's no way in hell a single van could make a delivery every 4 minutes on average.

I have met a few who finish their drops at the weekends. One guy meets people at the petrol station at the Y in Rathmines, he knows people are desperate so he rings them all while sitting there saying he is passing through if they want to grab them in the next 30 minutes as he won't be coming through for a proper delivery for a few days, clears most of the van very quickly, kind of like a mobile parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

seamus wrote: »

You must live next door to me!

We get at least 4 Amazon vans a day. Usually 3 together in the morning, and 1-2 in the evening. An Post usually have between 1 and 3 vans each morning. All other delivery companies stop by during the day. The best is DPD. That driver maximises his efficiency. He pulls up into one location and phones everyone unless the door to their block is beside him. He then hands out parcels like sweets. None of this run to one door with a parcel or two, the next door with another, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This potential bridge over the Corrib was discussed here before. Seems to be finally happening:
    https://twitter.com/GalwayCycling/status/1331943989260537857

I've just fallen in love with a trailer...

https://twitter.com/urbanthoughts11/status/1312487232238882817

• Advertisement

so back to the county limit from tuesday morning, if i heard the news right?

Myself and a mate ordered it but chose whiskey instead of the oysters, we're going to get the oysters elsewhere, just one or two

Best 70quid I've ever spent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Attachment not found.534443.jpegGot married yesterday. Myn now wife got me these cufflinks

The outerrings rotate and all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Congratulations! May ye have a long and happy marriage.

Are they ten speed or eleven speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭cletus

Congrats Weepsie. Hope ye have a long and happy life together

cletus wrote: »
    Congrats Weepsie. Hope ye have a long and happy life together

Decent cufflinks tend to last years.

Congrats Weepsie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Congrats Weepsie. Looks like they're triples. Isn't there a rule against that?
    so back to the county limit from tuesday morning, if i heard the news right?

For some odd reason I thought there'd be a new thread about this with people setting out their plans for new routes and breaking free from the red circle. Not a mention until your post popped up mb. Surely it will make a difference or am I being particularly naive (and cynical!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭cletus

Congrats Weepsie. Looks like they're triples. Isn't there a rule against that?

For some odd reason I thought there'd be a new thread about this with people setting out their plans for new routes and breaking free from the red circle. Not a mention until your post popped up mb. Surely it will make a difference or am I being particularly naive (and cynical!)

I just figured people were sick to death of talking about lockdown.

Advertisement