Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Finally got a winter bike built up, it's a Cannondale Synapse (disc, mostly ultegra on it). It's my first 'endurance/relaxed' geo bike, and even though I have slammed the stem and in and around the same bar to saddle and all that measurements it feels like I'm sitting bolt upright! Do these bikes usually feel like this? My commuter is my old track bike, then I have a track bike, a CAAD12 (which I thought was a relaxed geo) and a Felt F5. It feels like there's loads of bike out front of me too, like my MTB almost (but not as extreme obvs). And long and dull. I don't mind the extra weight. It has a sloping top tube too, which I also don't like. There's a lot of seattube! The headtube is mad long too in comparison to my other bikes!

Is this normal with these kinds of bikes? I've never ridden geo like this before. Maybe I just need to get used to it. I wonder if you can get a really small crown race for the top of the headtube so there's less of that beneath the stem.

I can't believe how different it feels! Maybe I just need to get used to it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

so back to the county limit from tuesday morning, if i heard the news right?
    So now I travel tens of km west or south but limited to about one north or east :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

eeeee wrote: »
    Finally got a winter bike built up, it's a Cannondale Synapse (disc, mostly ultegra on it). It's my first 'endurance/relaxed' geo bike, and even though I have slammed the stem and in and around the same bar to saddle and all that measurements it feels like I'm sitting bolt upright! Do these bikes usually feel like this? My commuter is my old track bike, then I have a track bike, a CAAD12 (which I thought was a relaxed geo) and a Felt F5. It feels like there's loads of bike out front of me too, like my MTB almost (but not as extreme obvs). And long and dull. I don't mind the extra weight. It has a sloping top tube too, which I also don't like. There's a lot of seattube! The headtube is mad long too in comparison to my other bikes!

Is this normal with these kinds of bikes? I've never ridden geo like this before. Maybe I just need to get used to it. I wonder if you can get a really small crown race for the top of the headtube so there's less of that beneath the stem.

I can't believe how different it feels! Maybe I just need to get used to it.
    Relax....and enjoy it. Pun intended. Kind to your back in the long term. :)

secman wrote: »
    Relax....and enjoy it. Pun intended. Kind to your back in the long term. :)

Yeah I guess I'm just more used to and more comfortable in an aggressive position.
    I find it harder to pedal when I'm more upright.
    The bike feels so slow though! Maybe less sharp is more accurate.

When the going gets tough on races my chin is actually just above the stem :eek: :pac: When the going gets tough I sink down, spin and grind :D

What colour frame did you go for eeeee there's been a few nice synapse ones the last few years.

• Advertisement

What colour frame did you go for eeeee there's been a few nice synapse ones the last few years.

It's the light grey one. I bought the frame second hand on here and spent ages picking up a second hand group and finally got it built last week. I had wheels from a second hand CAAD12 frame bought off here too. It does look lovely, and the frame was immaculate in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Weepsie wrote: »
    Attachment not found.534443.jpegGot married yesterday. Myn now wife got me these cufflinks

The outerrings rotate and all

She’s a keeper alright. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

So now I travel tens of km west or south but limited to about one north or east :rolleyes:
    At least you have the option of going in any direction under the current 5k restriction. If I travel 50 meters east, I'm in the sea. My 5k 'circle' was more of a half circle.

At least you have the option of going in any direction under the current 5k restriction. If I travel 50 meters east, I'm in the sea. My 5k 'circle' was more of a half circle.
    Thats no excuse!
    cf1b4a7fb458d50f1c99cf84a5d34279.jpg

Not sure what chain oil you should use though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The last time we had the county boundaries it was something like 25km or the county bound whichever was farther away iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Thats no excuse!

A wax would be best

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

keane2097 wrote: »
    The last time we had the county boundaries it was something like 25km or the county bound whichever was farther away iirc

I think it was 20km plus the whole of your county. Seems that would sensible this time too, I can go to Baltinglass, but not Shankill...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think it was 20km plus the whole of your county. Seems that would sensible this time too, I can go to Baltinglass, but not Shankill...

Phase 2+ of the easing of restrictions back in June was going to be just 20km only but was changed to 20km or anywhere within your county at the last minute. All travel restrictions were lifted by the end of June.
    I didn’t think the 20km allowance applied when we were last in Level 3 but it was largely irrelevant for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

"Stay in your county apart from work, education, medical and other essential purposes, if appropriate."

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad569-level-3/#measures-in-place-from-1-december

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i hadn't really paid much heed to the exact day when restrictions were being eased, i'm getting out far less during the week than i'd hoped. stupid work wanting me to do things to earn my stupid salary.

Thats no excuse!

How would you keep it on the sea/ ocean/ lake floor? Sand tubes?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just saw a guy on a bike cycle past the house with two moby bikes on a trailer behind him. kinda like a 'backwards' cargo bike i've not seen before. doesn't strike me as *that* efficient, one cyclist to transport two bikes.

To think that this is who we share the roads with...

https://twitter.com/DashCamTwats/status/1333018245704658944

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Passat, as almost always.

• Advertisement

That's a nasty enough stretch too, constant speeding.

I cycled a Dublin Bike from Smithfield to Kilmainham on Friday afternoon, I dont tend to be nervous or any of that when cycling from Ushers Island to the the Hilton I was in fear of my life like never before while on a bicycle, I was close passed at speed numerous times by cars in the bus lane and cut across by a van pulling into the bus stop at Heuston. I've never experienced a few minutes like that. I mused about it and I still can't get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I haven't gone that way in a while but I always went along Thomas Street or Arbour Hill, depending on where I was coming from, and then used Kilmainham Lane to get to Kilmainham. The south quays were, and apparently are still, awful.

Jesus, this could have been disastrous.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1333047383085682689

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I haven't gone that way in a while but I always went along Thomas Street or Arbour Hill, depending on where I was coming from, and then used Kilmainham Lane to get to Kilmainham. The south quays were, and apparently are still, awful.

I must have been on that same route 1000 times over the last few years. I hate Kilmainham Lane because I cant get near the KOM, managed about 7th and my lungs near came out of my chest :pac:

i know cars are getting bigger. but at least they're *safer*

https://twitter.com/Iam_Canadian/status/1332878942345207808

The one on the left is infinitely prettier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

*Content warning* people get hit by a car in this

Can't imagine something like this ever being shown on RTE :(
    https://twitter.com/tomflood1/status/1333427076603506690

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

HOLY FCUK :eek:

That's quite frightening, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The one on the left is infinitely prettier.

I bet its tougher to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

Advertisement