Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Mc Cain

• 26-08-2018 1:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭

Sad news from the US of Senator John McCain's passing.

RIP

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Pocaide wrote: »
    Sad news from the US of Senator John McCain's passing.

RIP

Didn't agree with everything he said, But He Stood up for what he believed to be right for all Americans.

His Defense of Obama's Family, Religion and citizenship is what i'll remember of him. He was a true maverick. Where he could have stoked up fears and Rallied up hate he took the high road.

RIP John McCain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

He went fairly quick after they stopped his treatment. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

His mother, believe it or not, is still alive at 106.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Wow,that i a surprising fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It goes without saying that no 106-year-old should ever have to bury their elderly son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,281 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It goes without saying that no 106-year-old should ever have to bury their elderly son.

If you make it to 106 you can expect to have buried everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

A decent man RIP John Mccain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

RIP. McCain had many admirable qualities and served his country with much distinction and bravery.

But his political legacy will be forever tainted by bringing Sarah Palin on board when he ran for the Presidency. He opened the door to the s***storm we've been enduring in US politics since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Great man should have backed Sir Donald though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

He made great chips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

He was a warmonger.

He pushed hard for war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Libya. He supported the arming of extremists so long as it facilitated the goals of the U.S.

He supported military intervention across Africa.

He wanted to bomb Iran and laughed and joked about it.

He backed the war in Bosnia and Kosovo, and supports arming groups with links to Bin Laden

He wanted more intervention in Ukraine, including arming Neo-Nazis that were anti-Russian

He regularly advocated confrontational policies against Russia that were nothing short of lunacy.

He wanted Trump to bomb North Korea

He also wanted confrontational approaches with China.

The man constantly pushed for war and arming dangerous groups worldwide.

His passing is no loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Really ??

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

His passing is a huge loss... He was a man of proactive action.... Not a by Stander....

The world is a safer place because of him, but this won't be recognised until long after he's gone.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    His passing is a huge loss... He was a man of proactive action.... Not a by Stander....

The world is a safer place because of him, but this won't be recognised until long after he's gone.

Not according to Sal Butamol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

It's a pretty sad State of affairs when McCain looks like a Moderate. Rip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's a pretty sad State of affairs when McCain looks like a Moderate. Rip

It's incredible how far to the right the Republicans has shifted in a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Sad to see him go, but in the upcoming eulogies I hope people don't try to re write history regarding him as ultimately he was one of the biggest war mongers about and when you look at the neo-cons about, that's some achievement.

The fact he took on Trump should not mean he should get a reprieve for that no matter how awful Trump is.

Anyhow R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Seemed like a man of principle. I don't know if I would agree with his principles, but at least he had genuine beliefs, which is a step above the opportunistic impulsive clown currently in The White House.

Some of Trump's comments about him being a coward and a surrenderer were beneath contempt. What McCain went through as a POW was beyond belief and for that draft dodger to talk like that about him was a total disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

He was a warmonger.

He pushed hard for war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Libya. He supported the arming of extremists so long as it facilitated the goals of the U.S.

He backed the war in Bosnia and Kosovo, and supports arming groups with links to Bin Laden

He wanted more intervention in Ukraine, including arming Neo-Nazis that were anti-Russian

He regularly advocated confrontational policies against Russia that were nothing short of lunacy.

His passing is no loss.

The above isn’t accurate but even if it were, the man has a wife, kids, grandkids,etc - his passing is certainly a loss to them.

Have a little decency.

McCain a great man, America financially doing brilliant under Sir Donald

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not according to Sal Butamol

A cursory read of his time leading up to and during hao lo would inform people better, and make a compete mockery of the Donald's insults.

Ignorance is the gift for those who those who refuse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

McCain a great man, America financially doing brilliant under Sir Donald

Thank f*ck for Obama right. Leaving the economy in such a state that even Donald couldn't f*uck it up in his first two years.

Pa8301 wrote: »
    Thank f*ck for Obama right. Leaving the economy in such a state that even Donald couldn't f*uck it up in his first two years.

Whatever

Arghus wrote: »
    Seemed like a man of principle. I don't know if I would agree with his principles, but at least he had genuine beliefs, which is a step above the opportunistic impulsive clown currently in The White House.

Some of Trump's comments about him being a coward and a surrenderer were beneath contempt. What McCain went through as a POW was beyond belief and for that draft dodger to talk like that about him was a total disgrace.

Such an American mindset, I've no idea how it creeped into Ireland. You're saying McCain was good because he was killing Vietnamese people, and Trump is bad because he didn't?

The only Vietnam vet I respect comes back here for months every year practicing medicine for free. He has an enormous amount of guilt about what happened here and continually tries to help the country. McCain et al? "Lets' bomb more countries."

Whatever

Great response. We'll see how the US economy is going in a year's time when Trump's trade war really takes hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ClanofLams wrote: »
    The above isn’t accurate but even if it were, the man has a wife, kids, grandkids,etc - his passing is certainly a loss to them.

Have a little decency.

I don't think they'll see anything on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

He was a warmonger.

His passing is no loss.

I'm not going to deal with all of these given the time but just a few;

Afghanistan - toppling an Islamist regime that harboured the most deadly terrorists of all time, so terrible.

Libya - why couldn't we have just stood back and let the violence unfold, I mean that worked in Syria right?

Bosnia and Kosovo - so intervening to stop a genocide was a bad thing, got it.

Ukraine - yes those famous Ukrainian neo-nazi who are so strong they didn't manage to get into parliament in the last election.

You want to make complaints about a man's policy fine; you might want to do more than just regurgitating the usual 'USA bad' tropes.

Great response. We'll see how the US economy is going in a year's time when Trump's trade war really takes hold.

Absolutely we will see and his possible 're election in 2020.

Absolutely we will see and his possible 're election in 2020.

Anything is possible alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I'm not going to deal with all of these given the time but just a few;

Afghanistan - toppling an Islamist regime that harboured the most deadly terrorists of all time, so terrible.

Libya - why couldn't we have just stood back and let the violence unfold, I mean that worked in Syria right?

Bosnia and Kosovo - so intervening to stop a genocide was a bad thing, got it.

Ukraine - yes those famous Ukrainian neo-nazi who are so strong they didn't manage to get into parliament in the last election.

You want to make complaints about a man's policy fine; you might want to do more than just regurgitating the usual 'USA bad' tropes.

Emm, hearts and Minds works best.
    Tell me how it worked out for the US after they bankrolled a certain group?
    Some crazy talk on here.
    War is good for one thing.
    Profit for your backers.
    And fook the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

Your Face wrote: »
    He made great chips.

Doffs cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Such an American mindset, I've no idea how it creeped into Ireland. You're saying McCain was good because he was killing Vietnamese people, and Trump is bad because he didn't?

What? What are you on about man? That's not what I said at all. Trump as a defender of Vietnamese Civilian life, that's the best one ever!

I made no claims about the morality or lack thereof of the Vietnam War. If you actually want my personal opinion on it - as opposed to inferring it based on something I didn't actually say - then I think absolutely without question it was a morally unjustifiable war that should have never happened. You missed the point of what I was saying and added on some other stuff that I never went into.

My point was that Trump had referred to McCain as a coward. Now, whatever you may think about about the rights and wrongs of the war, I think McCain endured incredible punishment as a POW for many years and many men would not have been able to survive it. Do I think his conscience as a guy who dropped bombs should be squeaky clean, of course not. But I have a basic level of respect for him because he showed himself to be a tough bastard who didn't die in a situation where it would have been easier to quit. You can respect someone for something even if you don't agree with every other facet of them or even why they are doing that something in the first place. Life isn't always black and white you know.

And please stop trying to rewrite history to make it sound as if Trump was some sort of conscientious objector to the war. My arse! He didn't want to get killed, that's all! I can't necessarily blame him for that, it's pretty understandable really! But he used his family connections to worm his way out of facing any action and, given that, he should have the grace to not call people who did actually fight - whether it was morally justified or not - and suffer, cowards.

That's what I was saying with my post. Dial the rhetoric back a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was this while Bin Laden was a CIA asset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My point was that Trump had referred to McCain as a coward. Now, whatever you may think about about the rights and wrongs of the war, I think McCain endured incredible punishment as a POW for many years and many men would not have been able to survive it. Do I think his conscience as a guy who dropped bombs should be squeaky clean, of course not. But I have a basic level of respect for him because he showed himself to be a tough bastard who didn't die in a situation where it would have been easier to quit. You can respect someone for something even if you don't agree with every other facet of them or even why they are doing that something in the first place. Life isn't always black and white you know.
    Pissed me off seeing the draft dodger call McCain a coward.

What? What are you on about man? That's not what I said at all. Trump as a defender of Vietnamese Civilian life, that's the best one ever!

Best what ever? I never said that. Unfortunately, your wall of text follows that theme all the way through.

McCain was in Vietnam. Trump wasn't. I don't care for the reasons because I am Irish and I don't fetishise war or have any respect for soldiers. Nor do most Irish people I know. "Draft dodging" means nothing to me and is more of a plus than a minus, regardless of the reasons. America's homeland was not under attack and Vietnam was not like WWII.

You respect soldiers, and that's something that's been imported from America. That was my point. You also seem to give him a pass on the bad things he's done because you respect how tough he is. I don't agree with that or even understand the logic.

The rest of your post is glorifying strongmen and putting words in my mouth so I won't even quote it or respond to it. I don't care about McCain enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I heard yesterday that he was refusing further treatment for his brain cancer. Today he died.

His wife put out a statement that included the words " He passed the way he lived , on his own terms, surrounded by the people he loved".

the_syco wrote: »
    Pissed me off seeing the draft dodger call McCain a coward.

Disrespectful. Especially someone in his position.

Mc Cain had the last laugh. Obama and Bush will deliver speeches at his funeral and Trump isn't invited. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one less war monger hack who could have started a nuclear war, hell just became a little less safe

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Horrible man. If there’s such a thing as a soul, his deserves no peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Didn't like his politics, at all, but I hope he and his family has peace after fighting cancer, not a nice way to go.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

A shame as he was the only republican to stand up to the biggest threat in the history of the US, the Russian controller traitor Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Best what ever? I never said that. Unfortunately, your wall of text follows that theme all the way through.

McCain was in Vietnam. Trump wasn't. I don't care for the reasons because I am Irish and I don't fetishise war or have any respect for soldiers. Nor do most Irish people I know. "Draft dodging" means nothing to me and is more of a plus than a minus, regardless of the reasons. America's homeland was not under attack and Vietnam was not like WWII.

You respect soldiers, and that's something that's been imported from America. That was my point. You also seem to give him a pass on the bad things he's done because you respect how tough he is. I don't agree with that or even understand the logic.

The rest of your post is glorifying strongmen and putting words in my mouth so I won't even quote it or respond to it. I don't care about McCain enough.

He's putting words in your mouth? Amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Such a pity.

Why now, why not 60 years ago?

Another member of the US terror establishment living far too long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

His passing is no loss.

Everyone's passing is a loss.

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Candyshell

The trade war is a negotiating tactic, I predict world GDP increases as a result of it. As it will result in less tariffs and subsidies. Trump realises he can push the trade war further than his foes as the US economy can withstabd more strain. China and the EU will acquiesce in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

Such a shame, although he cheated death a fair few times. I always thought the lord would take him around Christmas time. May he rest in peace.
    To quote the great man "Yippie-Ki-Yay, Motherf*cker"

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TheShockmaster

RIP the hero of nakatomi plaza

Yipppee ki yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

ClanofLams wrote: »

Have a little decency.

Sorry you're wrong there, it is accurate. He once stood up and sang Bomb Iran to the theme of Barbara Ann and was a big cheerleader for the farce in Libya that put jihadis and slavers into power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

RIP. An honest politician at a time where it appears there aren't very many. Even if you didn't agree with him, you knew where you stood with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Yippee ki-yay Mr. McCain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement