Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet or dry chain lube?

Options
  • 28-08-2018 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I've been using dry lube on the bike chain for the past few months anytime I need to degrease the chain. However after being caught out in heavy rain last week, the chain has started to squeak a bit again even though I only degreased and lubricated it less than 3 weeks ago.

Should I switch to wet lube now? A video on gcn led me to believe that dry lube needs applying more often.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My experience of dry lube is it washes off quicker, but it picks up less crap and is also easier to clean and reapply. I go through it quicker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I find the same. For me dry lube means more frequent application but cleaning the chain is quicker and easier, while wet lube means longer between applications but it's a chore to clean the accumulated gunk off the chain each time. On balance I think my chains last longer using dry lube as a result.

I use wet lube on my unloved commuter though, and it's a constant reminder of the hassle that goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Wet in Winter, Dry in Summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I use dry lube all year round (well actually sewing machine oil but it's the equivalent of dry lube). Picks up less crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Yeah this is my commuter that this is happening to, the road bike hasn't been out in a while.

I'm going to apply more dry lube this evening, hopefully it will do.

That performance stuff looks good. Is it suitable for all bikes/chains?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

i'd be wary of applying lube made by a company called weldtite.

The only issue I ever had with it was when I shook it with the lid off and it went all over me. I got over 7k kms on a chain that showed no wear when I removed the groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Dry lube on my good bike.

Wet lube on my wet/winter bike and MTB.

Dry lube on the turbo bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

I've just switched to wax-based lube. So far it's working out well. The wax flakes off easily, so it requires less cleaning--no degreasing and just a wipe after dirtier rides. I'm not sure yet how it works in wet conditions, but I'd imagine it'll be a lot less messy than the oil-based lubes. I'm using Squirt, but there's other ones like Smoove as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Another vote for Squirt wax. Needs applied more often but seems to work well and chain never gets into that black dirty looking condition of normal lubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

WD40, never looked back.
    Spray, wipe off, job done. Need to apply more frequently however.

Ultegra chain lasted 3k miles before it got into replacement range.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dry lube when it's dry.

Wet lube when it's wet.

Dry lube doesn't pick up much crap from the roads, but is useless in the wet. Wet lube does pick up a lot of gunk but is great in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

nordicb wrote: »

Ultegra chain lasted 3k miles before it got into replacement range.

Were you able to tell by just looking at the chain, that it looked worn? I'm asking because I recently snapped a chain and don't want to go though that freewheel/push home routine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Were you able to tell by just looking at the chain, that it looked worn? I'm asking because I recently snapped a chain and don't want to go though that freewheel/push home routine again.
    You can do it with a ruler, but a "chain wear tool" is generally under a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

As above, I use the chain length check tool - very easy to use, takes all the guesswork out.
    For cassette and chain ring wear I use drill bits of an appropriate diameter, 8 or 9mm (front/rear or rear/front, can't recall) - see how well they fit in between the cogs. Cassette sprockets do not wear evenly, best to check those used most commonly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i often just use mineral oil, 3 in 1 style. i've been getting 4-5k per chain.

Advertisement