Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I ended up buying the Dell anyways, had another voucher code that brought it to 460 so figured it was worth a punt.

OSI wrote: »
    I'll be waiting until monitors actually support HDR properly. That monitor stating it supports HDR 10 when it only has 250 nits and a contrast ratio of 2500:1 is ridiculously misleading.

HDR as a whole is such a minefield in terms of standards, you can have two HDR600 monitors that perform wildly different depending on their backlighting dimming and the DCI-P3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Speaking of Dell, I was looking at the S2721DGFA and the cheapest I could see it would be Amazon FR (€350, ~€379 with VAT difference + postage). Direct from Dell IE is €435, so I thought I'd ask their chat if they'd price match. Very slow chat for some reason, literally 20 minutes between some responses.

They took my details to send me a quote (I thought I was getting somewhere), then minute 60 of the 5 minute chat they said "as this model is not in stock with amazon we can not match the price on it" :mad:

Amazon says it's still in stock, same model number on both sites, so I assume euro plug vs UK plug is the technicality they're getting away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

The glut of GPU's from low to mid end starting to flood Adverts is reassuring. Lots of scalpers going to lose their bollocks on this.

Muhawhawhaw

The glut of GPU's from low to mid end starting to flood Adverts is reassuring. Lots of scalpers going to lose their bollocks on this.

Muhawhawhaw

Flood of 3070/3080s too, now they're all still ridiculous prices but it seems like they're panicking.

Flood of 3070/3080s too, now they're all still ridiculous prices but it seems like they're panicking.

yeah just the sheer number of cars is what's encouraging. Prices are still stupid but they'll have to cut them to realistic levels eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's adverts people can offer whatever they want. Might even still be priced highly partially because they expect trade offers for 50 quid and a half empty coke bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

The smart scalpers have unloaded already. The dummies thinking they can sell above new retail prices in a falling market...they'll be waiting a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

It's adverts people can offer whatever they want. Might even still be priced highly partially because they expect trade offers for 50 quid and a half empty coke bottle.

You can set a minimum offer which will automatically reject anything under same. works a treat to filter out some of the donkeys.

What *is* annoying is seeing cards disappear from adverts and appear on cex.
    5700xt that was for sale in Offaly recently is in CEX Tullamore atm.

CEX will price it at the asking price the seller had on adverts, but the advert only got €340 for it from CEX.

If the seller was willing to take his licks he could have sold it to another gamer/user for €350 or so and everyone wins, instead they took their pride to CEX rather than admit people on adverts offering under askining were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Are you sure that isn't coincidence? Would make zero sense to sell it to CEX for €340 when they would still easily get more than that for it on Adverts right now. They wouldn't have to settle for €350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maybe they sold it to CEX as they know it's a lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Anyone have info on the TPM 2.0 requirement for windows 11, some articles say it’s not needed some say you need the module, either way the module looks hard to find and the scalpers are out, my Asus Z390 has a TPM 2.0 header but good luck trying to find one !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Anyone have info on the TPM 2.0 requirement for windows 11, some articles say it’s not needed some say you need the module, either way the module looks hard to find and the scalpers are out, my Asus Z390 has a TPM 2.0 header but good luck trying to find one !

Your processor more than likely has TPM built in do you'll likely be grand. No point buying anything until closer to the launch and Microsoft clarify these things.

Nibs05 wrote: »

So the word going around is that you may not need a dedicated TPM chip, and that Intel PTT or AMD PSP fPTM will suffice, and there's also a way to bypass the requirement that's been found on the insider preview.

I'd say it'll be clarified in the next while as to what the actual requirements are, but it's been a shít show so far

CEX GPU prices starting to drop. A 1660ti that was 450 is down to 400 and a 3070 that was 1300 is down to 999.

It's happening Bois.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Rm750x arrived and she's a classy yolk tbf. Just need a classy GPU and case to go with her now and I'm set. The thought of being able to leave me PC on overnight and not have to worry about a house fire is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Bought some rack rails from pennelcomonline for around €20 or so each, an paid around €25 for delivery.
    They're coming from the US (which I didn't realize, as their call centre is in eastern Europe), and apparently customs want €40.

What are my options here? Can I just refuse the delivery and get a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Serephucus wrote: »
    Bought some rack rails from pennelcomonline for around €20 or so each, an paid around €25 for delivery.
    They're coming from the US (which I didn't realize, as their call centre is in eastern Europe), and apparently customs want €40.

What are my options here? Can I just refuse the delivery and get a refund?

Pretty sure its coming from the UK, not the US.

Returns Address
    Returns Dept.
    Penn Elcom Online
    Philips House
    Drury Lane, Ponswood Industrial Estate
    St. Leonards-on-Sea
    East Sussex
    TN38 9BA
    United Kingdom

Not that there is much difference now days.

You won't get a refund of the delivery fees and might get a restocking fee subtracted, so I would suggest just paying and learning from the mistake.

TIL there's a Washington in the UK.

I wouldn't mind, but I ordered something else from them before I knew about this.
    This will be some bloody expensive bits of steel...
    Lesson learned: Germany FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

They are actually quite hard to get, Penn were about the only decent source I could find for 12U rails at actual affordable rates. Visiting the amazon page now, delivery outside of the UK is out.

I think its because there is a 25% steel tariff now from either England or the US and rack rails are really just a steel strip.

• Advertisement

There's a new case out, Itek Evolve (also known as the SAMA IM01 and I think Tecware Fusion), it's basically a slightly taller version of the Cooler Master NR200P but can fit an MATX mobo and a full ATX PSU.

Had one ordered but then found out I couldn't run a 240mm aio with an ATX PSU, but if someone was air-cooling it looks like a pretty cool case, can fit up to 155mm coolers too.

Jesus this new layout is shocking 🤮

Mobile version of it was pure tapped, don't know what to make of it, PC version seems like a dream by comaprison

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I was wondering why there was no posts in this forum after the 6th july..log on today and..my eyes....jesus

Update to this: Didn't end up getting charged import tax, but did get a call from Fedex to confirm it wasn't a business delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

I bought a Dell S2721DGF in Littlewoods of all places for €389.99 on sale, I heard good things about the monitor as it’s similar to the LG GL850

Have it myself, great bit of kit. Only thing I don't like about it is the inability to change the RGB on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Got myself a Tx70m last week to keep an old PC running a little while longer after the PSU died. (Previously had a 650W Superflower model since 2012)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The PC I'm using atm was a self-built from 2012, really want to replace it at this point, also want to replace my current samsung S23A570D with a good 27" monitor suitable for games, watching tv/films and general use. Is this Dell model suitable for all the above? IIRC, 9 years ago IPS was considered to have generally good colours, brightness, image quality but the refresh rates maxed out at 60hz and the TN panels were generally needed for higher refresh.

If this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FRH6CVM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1 is the model you refer to, it seems that modern IPS screens can handle high refresh rates now too?

Btw, I put up a thread the other day with specs for build I'm planning, some constructive criticism would be welcome 😀

https://boards.ie/discussion/2058199112/high-ish-spec-pc-for-gaming-general-use-suggestions-welcome#latest

Post edited by ZeroThreat on

• Advertisement

Ya that's the one. It's available on Dell.ie for a bit over 400. Not sure what shipping would be like though, can take a while: https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/monitors-monitor-accessories/ar/4009?appliedRefinements=29896,2583

There's probably better value IPS 1440p 165Hz monitors out there though. Check out hardware unboxed for monitor recommendations

Advertisement