Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Elevation looks great in front of a live crowd.

Tay Conti is so over with the live crowd.

I've been thinking/wondering will Frankie be the one to take the Impact title of Kenny as part of his Elite Hunter gimmick and his history in Impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It appears you are right sir. I was always under the impression that WWE did good business in NYC, but I can see from looking up the figures they have been doing very poorly in recent years. Man, I was so wrong.

I did the tour of MSG years ago and expected a lot of WWWF,WWF,WWE things to be on show the way it spoken about especially the Bruno years and what they say about him selling out the Garden a record amount of times, I asked the tour guide about Bruno and he knew nothing about him.

The only things there is a few pictures of WM 1 with Hogan's Tee and Boots framed.

For the record the record holder for selling out the Garden is Billy Joel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Billy Joel at MSG is insane, on a level that no one could ever touch.

The man has a residency there and plays once a month, he's done well over a hundred shows at the garden.

Something like 75 consecutive sell out shows there too.

What I'm saying is, if WWE wants to sell out the MSG, get Billy Joel on the card. Naturally give him a segment with Elias or the more obvious, send him to the PC and get him to debut as the Piano Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

In the 70's - 90's they had the expression "so goes the business, so goes the Garden" which was to say that how well they did in that building was a good indicator of how they were likely to do elsewhere in the coming months, because it's a hard building to draw in so if you are doing well there, you should do well elsewhere which is why people link the building so inextricably with the company more so than them always doing record business there. They have done Christmas shows there for the past few years and never come close to selling out.

Perhaps as well the memories of all the PPV shows they did in MSG over the years which genuinely did sell out give you a false impression too.

• Advertisement

From PWInsider

"One of the most discussed topics in recent weeks has been the future of Daniel Bryan after he disappeared from WWE programming following a loss to Roman Reigns.

Internally, there has been no discussion of Bryan returning to WWE and he is not listed on the company's roster. There have been some in the company who have taken that to mean that Bryan is signing or will sign eventually with AEW, but PWInsider.com has no confirmation that is correct. Obviously, if it was, AEW would move heaven and earth to hide that fact.

What PWInsider.com can confirm, however, is the following:

*Bryan was not part of a recent list of talent plans for licensing and merchandising for 2021-2022 that was recently put together by the company for internal use.

*Bryan is not slated for any future Mattel action figure wave releases.

So, as of now, there has been no known movement towards Bryan's WWE return or his inclusion in any of the company's merchandising end. Whether that is a true sign of Bryan Danielson landing elsewhere remains to be seen."

I won't get my hopes up. I won't get my hopes up........

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just checked and he's under the Alumni section on wwe.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Danielson making his entrance on Dynamite in the old American Dragon robe would be quality, blow the roof off the place. Fingers crossed, anywhere but WWE is good.

Im sure he can use the original Ride of the Valkyries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do The Acclaimed have to get what they say pre approved I wonder. Maybe that's why they're on the youtube shows and not Dynamite.

Poor Julia.

• Advertisement

The pop Thunder Rosa got on Dark last night and man was she over with that crowd.

Tay Conti got the same reaction on Elevation.

AEW woman's division with Britt leading the way and having Thunder, Tay & Rose challenging has quietly been getting stronger and stronger there is serious potential in the mid card with the likes of Abadon, Big Swole, Statlander, Leyla Hrisch, Penelope Ford, Julia Hart, Diamante and the Japanese talent stepping up when needed.

Anna Jay will get a huge pop when she returns from injury to a live crowd.

And Jade really could be a game changer she seems to have everything to be a huge star.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They have tools to make it a decent division but they're booking Baker like **** since becoming champion. She's given away cheeseburgers, was put in an atrocious match with Vickie Guerrero and had that awful segment with Janela and Kiss. That's rubbish worthy of 24/7 title stuff.

Also, either Julia Hart is a big Alexa Bliss fan...

Or they really want to push her as mini-Bliss. She's even doing her finisher.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

One of the biggest stars of wrestling in this century could be headed back to wrestling, if all goes well. CM Punk has been in ongoing talks for a return, sources tell Fightful.

Fightful Select learned last week that CM Punk has been in talks to make a return to pro wrestling as an in-ring performer, with sources indicating that AEW is the most likely landing point. We have no confirmation of a contract officially being signed, a timetable, a set return date, or any creative plans, only that Punk and a company official have had ongoing conversations about an in-ring return.

As with any negotiations, nothing is ever fully confirmed until the deal is actually done and the subject appears on screen. 

We have heard of other companies having interest in Punk coming in to work after fans returned, but have not heard of any specific offers or overtures made towards him. 

Fightful has not officially confirmed this report with CM Punk himself or All Elite Wrestling officials. We have been told in recent days that higher ups in WWE believe that Punk is headed to AEW. 

Punk last wrestled in January 2014 for WWE, and was released later that year. In the years that followed, he pursued a career in mixed martial arts in the UFC, where he officially has an 0-1 record with 1 no contest. In addition to MMA, Punk has worked in commentary roles within the sport, and made his way into acting. He also appeared on WWE Backstage for approximately six months. Aside from his appearances on Backstage, he's only made two appearances in wrestling since leaving WWE -- both in very anonymous masked roles on the independent circuit

Source: Fightful

Great. They need a talker at that level. Lots of talent in that company but no-one with his unique confidence/arrogance and conviction on the mic. It would be impossible at first but long term I'd want him heel.

Nearly all The Straight Edge Society would all be all be in AEW in 2021 then.

Joey is a free agent/retired.

Signing Punk and Bryan would be massive for them, in terms of a main stream draw. Proper main event guys jumping ship/acknowledging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Omega/Punk is money. Punk vs a good few in AEW is money. Fingers double crossed now for Punk and Danielson to come in.

Exciting times ahead for AEW fans and pro wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Omega, Moxley, who cares.

Colt Cabana.

I love Punk and Bryan, I really do. Ive no doubt that they'd improve the product from a viewing perspective.

But are they needle movers? I dunno. Is any wrestler these days strong enough to move the numbers up massively?

I think very few wrestlers are. If Cena..... hes the best bet IMO or maybe ....MAYBE say if Brock or Reigns jumped. But while Bryan and Punk would give them a small boost , would they create a massive jump in numbers?

Im not so sure

Would love to be wrong.

I can see the American Dragon coming in just to have great matches and in doing so putting over talent win lose or draw.

Punk on the other hand will want his ego rubbed I would suspect.

• Advertisement

They, and Bryan especially, will mean more to viewers, potential viewers, and licensees than anyone AEW currently has under contract, and that includes Sting. They are both absolutely worth bringing in. Punk is the best of his generation on the mic and Bryan probably the best of his generation in the ring.

The example of Lesnar ahead of these two is curious given he has meant nothing over the past 3 years in ratings increases for WWE and his. price is insanely high. He is a massive waste of money for whoever hires him but at least WWE as a business can afford to waste that money more than AEW as a business. I don't see Reigns meaning more than either of them. Cena is a much bigger star and proven ratings & merch mover though.

So Punk for All Out in Chicago at the start of September and Danielson for Dynamite in NYC at the end of September

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

AEW are in Chicago and Cult of Personality hits and out walks MJF laughing his head off and goes to the ring and mocks the crowd and CM Punk

A few minutes later Cult of Personality hits again and MJF gives out stink to the boys in the back and all of a sudden CM Punk comes out

Can you imagine the crowd in Chicago, this will be Rock 'n' Roll Express level of fanatic fans

• Registered Users Posts: 86,387 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Holy hell,

Nick Gage? Legit marked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Did we watch the same show? Crowd went hard as soon as his name was mentioned, they just didn't get the clues MJF dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd say Lesnar is a bigger draw for casual/non wrestling fans than CM Punk or Daniel Bryan. The people who like Bryan and Punk are probably people already watching or checking out AEW anyway. Bryan probably has added value there due to his wife and that show but not sure there's a huge crossover of Total Bellas fans and people who'll watch AEW.

Imo, Lesnar is the biggest draw for non wrestling/casual fans outside of guys like Cena, The Rock, Batista etc or some of the older guys who can't wrestle anymore anyway (Austin, The Undertaker)

Even apart from the fact I disagree and seriously think you're nuts to say there was no reaction...

He's been brought in as the second of five fights for Jericho. He's not being pushed as some main event level surprise. He's basically a goon for MJF and a roadblock for Jericho he will obviously overcome.

But for the people who know him, it was a pretty cool appearance, and the match should be fun next week (if you're in to that style of match). I presume Jericho is on a bit of a "Hey Tony, I wanna wrestle this guy!" tour, and this establishes the Labors as more than just Jericho going through Wardlow and FTR. It actually makes the next reveal more interesting too, cause now they've established MJF might bring in anyone.

So...imagine if they build towards the fifth match being MJF promising a top tier level talent, on the back of the rumours of Bryan and Punk floating around. Gage himself and his introduction will have knock on ramifications for people's expectations. Which is great, cause I'll be honest, I skipped quickly through the match vs Spears and wouldn't have had much interest in Jericho vs Wardlow next week. Gage is way better on every level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a show.

Loved the surprise of Nick Gage, getting outside talent in to wrestle Jericho superb move and doesn't hurt the AEW Talent

Imagine sitting through 2hrs and not fast forwarding and just enjoying what you see, I absolutely adore AEW

So happy for Lance Archer, he needed that win big time and man what a match, these guys were out to kill each other.

TK, what can I say the man has turned wrestling up side down and you know if they do get Bryan and CM Punk I think they can eclipse WWE in ratings. What a power house AEW is turning into. What a time to be a wrestling fan

Advertisement